Play Book Tag discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
Archives 2016-2017 > switching to audiobook & finding my place

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I'm switching from the kindle version of a book to the audiobook version. Is there a way to find my place in the audiobook if I know the page number I'm on or the percentage I've finished of the book? I can probably try to approximate it somewhat but I was curious if there was some tool out there for people who switch between formats of books.

I'm new to audiobooks...

message 2: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments The best I have come up with is to read to the end of a chapter, and then you should be able to go to the table of contents of your audiobook and select the start of the next chapter.

Not the perfect solution and definitely harder when chapters are longer, but that is the best suggestion I have.

Whispersync is a feature that Amazon offers if you purchase both the Kindle and Audiobook version from them that allows you to seamlessly go back and forth. I know Linda uses Whispersync a lot but I have yet to take the plunge on purchasing two version of the same book....

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Nicole wrote: "The best I have come up with is to read to the end of a chapter, and then you should be able to go to the table of contents of your audiobook and select the start of the next chapter.

Not the per..."

Thank you! I haven't read it in over a month, so I should probably start over but I just don't want too and my kindle library loan is long gone (and apparently not available anymore) so I'm switching to the library audio loan.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Jennifer wrote: "Thank you! I haven't read it in over a month, so I should probably start over but I just don't want too and my kindle library loan is long gone (and apparently not available anymore) so I'm switching to the library audio loan. ..."

Ah, then my advice may not be too helpful since you don't have the kindle version anymore!

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I just started at Part 2. I know I've read this already but I'll just listen to this part again. :)

message 6: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole wrote: "Whispersync is a feature that Amazon offers if you purchase both the Kindle and Audiobook version from them that allows you to seamlessly go back and forth. I know Linda uses Whispersync a lot but I have yet to take the plunge on purchasing two version of the same book......"

I never, ever buy two versions of the same book. If you borrow a Kindle library book and then buy the audible version they will sync, no problem.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Linda S wrote: "I never, ever buy two versions of the same book. If you borrow a Kindle library book and then buy the audible version they will sync, no problem. "

Interesting, I had no idea.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Linda, interesting! I did not realize that. I will have to test it out for sure!

message 9: by Ladyslott (last edited Jun 08, 2016 05:29AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole wrote: "Linda, interesting! I did not realize that. I will have to test it out for sure!"

I found out quite by accident. I was reading a library book on my Kindle, and had the audible version. When I got the book up on my phone, it had synched to my Kindle book. I just listened/read to City of Mirrors, which was an epub, so I had to be mindful of my spot in the book. Frequently the chapters don't always match - some of the audios count the foreword or intro as chapters so it is often off by one. Since I listen on my phone I just check what chapter I'm on and try and match it up from there. I usually find around 50 pages per hour listening is a good ratio, it's a bit more if you listen at a faster speed, I usually listen at 1.25, faster than that sounds like chipmunks to me.

message 10: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2818 comments It works as long as your kindle library book is the same edition as the audio book. I've had sync problems with classic public domain books that have multiple kindle editions and multiple audio editions.

message 11: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jgrace wrote: "It works as long as your kindle library book is the same edition as the audio book. I've had sync problems with classic public domain books that have multiple kindle editions and multiple audio edi..."

I haven't tried it with public domain books, thanks for the heads up.

message 12: by Blueberry (new) - added it

Blueberry (blueberry1) I love that about Kindle. I wish Overdrive worked the same.