The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3)
This topic is about The Wheel of Osheim
Mark Lawrence > TWoO: Chapter 7 - Chapter 16

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Please keep comments and spoilers to only this section.

Suzanne | 1582 comments This MAY be in the first section - I don't remember if there was a chapter break afterwards, and right now my phone says I'm in Chapter 7, so I'm putting it in this section just in case.

So....the meeting between Jorg and Jalen. I wasn't totally convinced you had to read the first trilogy to enjoy and appreciate the second, but after that scene, I would recommend to others that they should read the first trilogy for sure! (Without it, I think they'd still enjoy The Red Queen's War, but still....)

I loved when they were comparing wounds. I guess I had never realized before that drunken conversation that they really do have SO much in common.

And then in Hell...when Jalen saw the boy purposefully in the thorns looking for his brother....and Jalen admitted to himself that he would not go that far. Well.....that whole scene really touched me.

And now we have the three numbers: 1, 2, and 13. Any guesses about the 13 - what the "something" is?

Suzanne | 1582 comments Ha and I did totally laugh when every complaint of Jalens - Jorg's situation was indeed much worse. (And I liked how much that annoyed Jalen.)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Jalen is changing a lot! The changes make sense, although I miss some of his cowardly ways :)

Tammy I like the changes in Jalen, he still has some of the bad boy ways but he seems to have more purpose now and even a conscious at times. I didn't think he would actually make it back to vermillion but he did. The story is picking up for me now that he's home, but there is very little Snorri other than in hell. Interesting.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yeah it is strange seeing so little of Snorri when he had such a big part in the last two books. And if you read the book description, it mentions Snorri first :)

Jalen really is a good leader in these chapters though - good strategy and he is actually working hard.

And when he killed the guy that he owed money to - that was perfect. As he said, you can only push so far.

Tammy I really liked the way Jalan dealt with his debtor, he definitely grew some stones during his adventures.

This book is crazy with all of the ghouls and undead. It's like I am reading the "seventh son". I don't dislike it but it's all quite a departure from the first two. They had elements of all this but now it's just full on ghost busting horror action. Hmmm.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yes it has - the invasion of the city is crazy - SO many ghouls/undead. No wonder the elite had a hard time believing it.

message 9: by Sky (last edited Jun 26, 2016 09:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Yeah sorry, I looked at the table of contents in my kindle to find the chapter breaks where a chapter started at just over a multiple of 100 pages. Not sure how that translates to other readers (I guess it matters if it "uses real page numbers" or not. And sometimes Kindle page #s update on me. For instance, I just finished Chapter 18. So this section was supposed to cover up to Chapter 18. Sigh.

Anywhoo, I also love how Jalan is maturing. He can only have so many "happy accidents" of his cowardice turning into so life saving heroics before it gets old. Its good to see some nice old fashioned blood lust, mixed in with a growing pair of stones, and some forethought and decency :) Definitely liking the man he is becoming.

There were plenty of dead men, lichkins, necromancers, etc, in previous books but the invasion of Vermillion is more like a Zombie Hoard :) Loving the non-stop actions. Snorri was never my favorite character (but was a good counter-point to the old Jalan), so I am happy to get all the Jalan I can now.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I really like the changes in Jalan too - especially that they make so much sense given what has happened to him, He's actually pretty competent! Go figure.

And yes zombie hoard is an accurate picture I think. Really scary - I think the part that stuck with me the most is them coming over the wall.