SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > MishMash Challenge 2014: Questions and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited May 30, 2014 03:46AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Use this thread to ask questions and make suggestions for the 2014 MishMash Challenge.

Tasks
1. Read a book with a species of animal in the title. The species has to be a real still living species. So anything from cats to elephants. No dodo's, dinosaurs or dragons.
2. Read a book where the title and the author's name both start with the same letter, eg: From Russia with love by Ian Flemming
3. Lest we forget, read a book in which The First World War (1914 - 1918) is an important element of the book. The book does not have to take place during the war, but It must be important to the storyline.
4. Read a book you wouldn't have normally read. It can be a book someone suggested, a book someone gave you and swears it is the best thing ever, or even a book that an author asked your to read and review. (Not something you requested, bought on a whim, etc.)
5. Read a book set in a house that is believed or known to be haunted.
6. Read a book with a gendered word or name in the title that is opposite to the gender of the author e.g. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa / Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien.
7. Read a book by an author who has more than 200 individual publications. The total number can include published short stories but the book used for the challenge must meet the 150 page rule. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_... for some ideas
8. Read a book that has a word in the title that means forever. So forever is allowed but also eternity, always, till the end of time etc.
9. Read a book that is a follow-on from a previous book, but written by a different author.
10. Read a book that was turned into a comic book or graphic novel OR a book that is part of a series that was turned into a comic book or graphic novel.
11. Read a book by an author who has published for 40 or more years, so the time elapsed between date of first publication of their first book and date of first publication of their most recent book must be 40 or more years.
12. Read a book with a title that begins and ends with the same letter. 'The', 'a' and 'an' do count this time. So if your book starts with 'the' your last letter has to be a t.
13. Read a book that has fire on the cover.
14. Read a book that has been nominated for or won an award for Best Debut Novel in the last five years (2010-2014)
15. Read a book that you do not own at the start of the challenge. It can be one that you acquire (buy or get given) or that you borrow.
16. Read a book that involves a conspiracy or an urban legend.
17. In June it will be 50 years since the conclusion of the Rivonia Trial. Read a book that features one of the cast of characters of the trial or that deals with South African politics in general.
18. Read a book that was made into a TV series or movie or contains a character that appears in a TV series or movie e.g Pride and Prejudice or the Rizzoli and Isles series from Tess Gerritsen.
19. Read a book with a word in the title that denotes a day or time of day (but not the word "day" itself) e.g., midnight, 24 hours, noon.
20. Read a book that can be associated with a character from Cluedo (Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Mrs White, Reverend Green, Mrs Peacock (blue), Professor Plum). This can include colours/images used on the cover, words in the title or subject matter of the book.
21. Read a book by an author that you have previously read (and enjoyed), but have not read in the past two years.
22. Read a book with a female soldier/warrior as a main character.
23. Read a book that has a colon in the title. Eg. Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars or Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail by Succeed
24. Read a collection of short stories or an anthology / omnibus edition. The stories do not need to be all by the same author.
25. Read the latest in a series which has more than 4 books so far. It is not required that you have read any of the previous books in the series.
26. Read a book that was translated from another language or translated to another language.
27. Read a book that deals with a real fear. So anything from fear of water or flying to fear of spiders.
28. Read a book that has someone on the cover who is wearing a hat
29. Judge a book by its cover. Read a book with a cover that you really love.
30. Read a book in which motherhood plays a big part.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith For no.7, here's a list of prolific sff authors, with some very nice options http://io9.com/11-most-prolific-scien...

They don't all have over 200 publications, but the following do:
- Walter Gibson / Maxwell Grant
- Andre Norton (I've gotten some of her books free on Amazon)
- Isaac Asimov
- Brian Aldiss
- Wolfgang Hohlbein (but mostly in German)
- Ray Bradbury
- Michael Moorcock
- Stephen King (yay!)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Barbara, for no.1: do birds count?

message 4: by Lauren (last edited May 08, 2014 09:41AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Janice, for no.6: does a gendered name count?

message 5: by Janice (last edited May 08, 2014 09:46AM) (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
Yes, it can :) Could you add that to the task please: gendered word/name

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks, will do :)

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Barbara, for no.1: do birds count?"

If it is a type of bird yes. So swallows or doves or gulls are ok. The word bird is not.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

I don't get the Wikipedia link for the number 7 task. I can't see a list there I can use.

Do all the books have to be written under the same penname or can the author have used different pennames to get to 200 books?

message 9: by Lauren (last edited May 08, 2014 09:58AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Barbara wrote: "If it is a type of bird yes. So swallows or doves or gulls are ok. The word bird is not."

Thanks! I've got Kingfisher.

Barbara wrote: "I don't get the Wikipedia link for the number 7 task. I can't see a list there I can use."
Does the link not work for you? It should go to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_... ("List of prolific writers"). The list is lower down on the page, in a table.

Jennifer will have to answer the bit about pseudonyms, but I assumed they would be included when I posted the sff list above.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Ok, it has finally happened: I snapped and have gone insane. When I pressed the link in the other discussion it just went to a Wikipedia page listing the lists they have on Wikipedia. This one gives me more and better info. Thanks!

message 11: by Barbara (last edited May 08, 2014 09:59AM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "Barbara wrote: "If it is a type of bird yes. So swallows or doves or gulls are ok. The word bird is not."

Thanks! I've got Kingfisher.

Kingfisher is perfect.

message 12: by Carolien (last edited May 08, 2014 10:42AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 1994 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "For no.7, here's a list of prolific sff authors, with some very nice options http://io9.com/11-most-prolific-scien...

They don't all have over 200 publicat..."

http://ficfaq.com/2010/07/02/20-most-...

message 13: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments For task 4. "Read a book you wouldn't have normally read. It can be a book someone suggested, a book someone gave you and swears it is the best thing ever, or even a book that an author asked your to read and review":

Can you use a book that you read for a different challenge if it's not something you'd usually read.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yes, you can use books for different challenges, just not for different tasks in the same challenge. I'm using a book from the Deserted Island challenge for that task, because I wouldn't normally read it if I didn't need it for that challenge.

message 15: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Thanks

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 766 comments Pseudonyms / pen names can count towards the total of 200 books

message 17: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 4 comments Hi Lauren , how do I accept the challenge ? .

message 18: by Carolien (new)

Bradley, just copy and paste all the tasks into a new comment in this thread
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

As you complete tasks, edit your original comment with the book name for the task. Just post a new comment that states something like each time:
Completed task 3 and give your total score e.g 5/30

message 19: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 4 comments Carolien wrote: "Bradley, just copy and paste all the tasks into a new comment in this thread
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

As you complete tasks, edit your original comment ..."

Thanks looking forward to the challenge .

message 20: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments For task '5. Read a book set in a house that is believed or known to be haunted', does it have to be a house or can it be a castle (used as an institute)?

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith A castle is fine.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Another task fit to read Harry Potter. Like Lu needs a reason. :)

message 23: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lolol

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jevine) | 766 comments Question on #27: Read a book that deals with a real fear. So anything from fear of water or flying to fear of spiders.

Would Whoever Fears The Sea count?

Ship captains don't want to go to certain areas due to pirates.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Not really what I meant. I meant phobias, that's why I gave the examples. Not sure how to explain this but I meant things like fear of the dark or fear of fluffy things. Not something that is a real hazard and that is being feared.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Should we change it to phobias then? Or an "irrational fear"? I assumed that that was what you meant but "real" fear is confusing because any fear can be real (as opposed to faked, or melodramatic).

message 27: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments On this topic, must the book deal specifically with the phobia or can it just play a part. E.g., Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Ron's fear of spiders

message 28: by Carolien (new)

I'm going to need help here - some suggestions would be nice.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Changing it to phobias would be good.

It just have to play a part in the story. So not something that is mentioned in passing, but something that influences how the story goes. So Ron's fear of spiders is good.

message 30: by Zuleka (new)

Zuleka Kok | 231 comments Can Audio books be used for this challenge?

message 31: by Lu (last edited Jul 09, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure audio books can be used for all challenges, except when stated otherwise :)

message 32: by Zuleka (new)

Zuleka Kok | 231 comments ok cool :) thank you