World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Which awesome indie books deserve a slow clap?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Which indie books have you come across lately that made you say 'I can't believe this is not big five'?

message 2: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments I'm currently finishing Deborah Davitt's Valkyrie trilogy. A totally awesome, if incredibly long and complicated, epic fantasy series.

And if you're into horror (which I'm not generally, but I made an exception in this case because it's by a family member--not that I'm biased or anything!) or historicals or illustrated novels, Alan M. Clark's "Horror that Happened" series about the victims of Jack the Ripper is certainly worth checking out.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I recently finished Love Like Crazy and Graveyard Shift. The only thing about Graveyard Shift is it's a series, so it just ends without much of an ending.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Making Monsters by Joe Turk - cautionary, environmental dystopia meets sardonic, urban thriller...with heart. And a stripper. I don't doubt One day will be saying we knew Joe win.

message 5: by Mike (last edited Jun 09, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments I've come across a few; if I had to quote just one, it'd be anemogram. I don't think it's for everybody, but I really liked it. And (can I have three more please!) Almaty-Transit, Spark and The Ghosts of Nagasaki.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Mike
I'm intrigued :)

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13767 comments Mike wrote: "I've come across a few; if I had to quote just one, it'd be anemogram. I don't think it's for everybody, but I really liked it. And (can I have three more please!) [book:Almaty-Tran..."

Some interesting titles. Judging by the opposite reviews, Almaty sounds like a controversial enough book to pique my curiosity. We are honored to have Rupert, the author of Spark among our members here and his books are on my tbr list

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Tara wrote: "Mike
I'm intrigued :)"

And I'm thinking of checking out Beyond Good Manners: How to Raise a Sophisticated Child as a behavioural guide for our middle management :-)

One more indie that I very much like and which has sold quite well: Interrogating Ellie, a wartime thriller based on fact (but should declare an interest here, I am related to the author, and to the woman who was the book's subject - however, it's definitely a good book).

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Mike you are hilarious! Your recommendation sounds awesome and intriguing. If you are interested I have a friend who has an indie author pidcast - I think she'd love to discuss the book. If you'd like contact info drop me a line tarawoodsturner@yahoo.com

message 10: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson (nexus_engel) | 52 comments So far, the best indie book I've read is Auctumnalis by Parandus Gold. It's got a great story, great characters, and its atmosphere shifts constantly between dreamlike and nightmare fuel. It was the first time I was outright impressed by an indie novel. Definitely worth a look.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Tara wrote: "Mike you are hilarious! Your recommendation sounds awesome and intriguing. If you are interested I have a friend who has an indie author pidcast - I think she'd love to discuss the book. If you'd l..."

Which book, Tara - Interrogating Ellie?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Yes :)

message 13: by Mike (last edited Jun 21, 2016 03:26PM) (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Actually I could put her in touch with the author himself, who I know very well. I'll email you.

This is what I wrote about the book myself: http://mikerobbinsnyc.blogspot.com/20...

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Perfect, Mike. Thanks.