Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Anyone had issues with Amazon's "Look Inside" preview?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Hi, has anyone had problems with Amazon's 'look inside' previewer? I have produced a book with HTML code and tested it on multiple devices, it looks just how I wanted it to. But, when I loaded it onto Amazon and checked the 'look inside' option on the live file, a tiny image on the second page (height set using em in HTML) has been blown up to fit the full page? I've tried re-writing the code using 'div' but I still have the same problem. Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? I'm seriously considering removing the image all together.

message 2: by Ken (last edited Jun 07, 2016 06:00AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Yes, I have a small image inside my current book, and it's blown all out of proportion on the "Look Inside" feature. I'm no code expert so I have no idea why. In other formats it looks okay. I just left this comment in the "From the Author" section:

"As the book goes onto Amazon for the first time, the 'Look Inside' feature shows the blackbird glyph way too big, somewhat overwhelming. The downloaded ebook file shows the glyph at its much smaller, normal size."

If you find a remedy for it, I would be very interested in knowing what it is.

message 3: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Thanks for your comment Ken, keep an eye on this topic and hopefully someone will know how to fix it. If I come across a solution elsewhere, I will post it here.

message 4: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments I haven't had trouble with the "Look Inside," and my books are full of illustrations. I have always uploaded a word doc in docx format, though, never html. Is there a specific reason why you used code? I'm curious about that method.

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Haven't seen that issue, but Look Inside does some other dumb things.

Kindle puts all text into Justified format by default, so you don't have to specify that in your html...however, Look Inside does NOT default to Justified. If you don't specify it, Look Inside displays Left Justified text.

It looks odd, even though the purchased eBook will look fine.

message 6: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Missy wrote: "I haven't had trouble with the "Look Inside," and my books are full of illustrations. I have always uploaded a word doc in docx format, though, never html. Is there a specific reason why you used c..."
Hi Missy, I did it this way to reduce the occurrence of formatting issues between devices. HTML was designed for digital and therefore is the safer option for maintaining format across multiple devices. Word is a word processor and once a word document is converted to an e-book may work on one device but not on another.

message 7: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Micah wrote: "Haven't seen that issue, but Look Inside does some other dumb things.

Kindle puts all text into Justified format by default, so you don't have to specify that in your html...however, Look Inside d..."

Thanks Micah, I'm finding the problem only seems to be with 'Look Inside'. I'm yet to find a device the formatting does not work on. It is a little frustrating.

message 8: by Ken (last edited Jun 08, 2016 05:30AM) (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Allan wrote: "Thanks Micah, I'm finding the problem only seems to be with 'Look Inside'. I'm yet to find a device the formatting does not work on. It is a little frustrating. ,..."

The Look Inside supports a smaller subset of HTML/CSS than the actual e-book does. For example, it will ignore margin spacing attributes (margin-top, margin-bottom, etc.)

As long as your code validates and you check it on actual devices, the best thing to do is simply ignore the Look Inside.

message 9: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Thanks for your comment Ken. My concern is that this is the first place buyers look, and if it looks unprofessional they are unlikely to click the buy button. I suppose I will need to give more consideration on what I place in the first 10% of my books in future, so it looks as good as possible.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Allan wrote: "Thanks for your comment Ken. My concern is that this is the first place buyers look, and if it looks unprofessional they are unlikely to click the buy button. I suppose I will need to give more con..."

I have that concern also. However, the Look Inside feature seems to work well for paperbacks, and that's only one reason why I also make a paperback version. I always recommend that people look at those first, and then take with a grain of salt any glitches that appear on the ebook Look Inside version.

message 11: by Annie (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:11PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hmm. Not positive if this bit of intel will be useful to anyone, but I just listed today and the paragraph formatting is different in the "Look Inside." I actually don't mind at all, but it's different, nonetheless. Once you download it to Kindle, it's back to normal though.

Oh! And related question for you folks!! I didn't get to choose the length of the "Look Inside", like where it's cut off. Is there a way to do this? Or are we just at the mercy of Amazon? haha.

message 12: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments I can't figure out how to adjust the page numbers on "look inside". I think we are at the mercy of Amazon on that one.

On the look inside feature, Amazon totally skips my copyright page and seems to smoosh the text together on the next few pages. I wish it looked just like it does on the kindle.

message 13: by Annie (last edited Jun 08, 2016 07:06PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Marie wrote: "I can't figure out how to adjust the page numbers on "look inside". I think we are at the mercy of Amazon on that one.

On the look inside feature, Amazon totally skips my copyright page and seems to smoosh the text together on the next few pages. I wish it looked just like it does on the kindle"

Yep. Totally smooshed my junk together too, Marie. Also, I just deployed my google gopher annnnnd...

We are indeed at the Amazon God's mercy. Apparently, the "look inside" is exactly 10% of the file size. It's weird because even though it's too long for my taste, it happened to cut my book off at the perfect spot. So I was wondering if there was a team of Amazon-ians reading all the books hahahaha.

EDIT: OMfreakinG!!! Smooshed my junk together?? Seriously, Ann???? Arrrrgh!! Well, it made me laugh, so I ain't deleting it. But ugh. LOL

message 14: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Haha please do not delete :-D

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Tee hee. As you wish, Miss Marie ;)

message 16: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Ken wrote: "Allan wrote: "Thanks for your comment Ken. My concern is that this is the first place buyers look, and if it looks unprofessional they are unlikely to click the buy button. I suppose I will need to..."

Thanks Ken.

message 17: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Annie wrote: "Hmm. Not positive if this bit of intel will be useful to anyone, but I just listed today and the paragraph formatting is different in the "Look Inside." I actually don't mind at all, but it's diffe..."

Yep, 10% Annie, and I'm sure we are all at the mercy of the Amazon gods.

message 18: by Benita (new)

Benita Prins (benitajprins) | 32 comments I haven't had a problem with images, but my book's preview is all in bold and italics. I asked Amazon to fix it and they did, then a few days later it went back to bold-italics.

message 19: by Ken (last edited Jun 09, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Allan wrote: "Hi, has anyone had problems with Amazon's 'look inside' previewer? I have produced a book with HTML code and tested it on multiple devices, it looks just how I wanted it to. But, when I loaded it o..."

Sorry, Allan, I missed your original question about the image. I've done books with a publisher logo (JPEG) that shows up fine in the Look Inside. I had to specify absolute size in pixels in the IMG tag, however (using "width" and "height" attributes); I think Look Inside ignores a lot of CSS.

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Allan wrote: "Yep, 10% Annie, and I'm sure we are all at the mercy of the Amazon gods."

I have been tinkering with a way to thwart the evil plans of the all-mighty (almighty?) Amazon gods...

So, I made my cover image as large they they would possibly accept and it totally helped! 10% is now significantly less. I am so smart. S-M-R-T!! *smirks*

Hugs,
Ann

message 21: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Ken wrote: "Allan wrote: "Hi, has anyone had problems with Amazon's 'look inside' previewer? I have produced a book with HTML code and tested it on multiple devices, it looks just how I wanted it to. But, when..."

Thanks Ken, that's really helpful. I'll give it a go.

message 22: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments Annie wrote: "Allan wrote: "Yep, 10% Annie, and I'm sure we are all at the mercy of the Amazon gods."

I have been tinkering with a way to thwart the evil plans of the all-mighty (almighty?) Amazon gods...

So, ..."

Lol... Good work Annie

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Allan wrote: "Lol... Good work Annie "

I'm tricksy *smirks* Thanks, Allan :)

Marie wrote: "On the look inside feature, Amazon totally skips my copyright page and seems to smoosh the text together on the next few pages. I wish it looked just like it does on the kindle"

Miss Marie! *waves frantically* I totally don't know if you're even checking this thread anymore but I had to come back and share some intel, which might be helpful to ya :)

Which format do you use for your source file? I tried docx (recommended by KDP) and the formatting went all wonky. So, being the super cool rebel that I am *smirks* I took a stab with ePub. Well, low and behold, it looks 100% perfect!! Haven't tried uploading a mobi file yet but I reckon you'd get the same result. Anyhoo, just ignore me if this is completely useless hahahaha.

Hugs,
Ann

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Yeah. I used ePub for last MO. It was easy and everything looked the way I wanted it to without me pulling out any hair.