A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Game of Thrones discussion

Buddy Read/Readalong

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley I have decided to read the A Song of Ice and Fire series...again. :) I plan to start A Game of Thrones tonight and plan to read one book of month of the series until I have finished. If anyone is interested in following along please let me know.

message 2: by Ice (new) - added it

Ice I would like to start with you...only I finished the first book a while ago but am stuck in the second and have started reading other books...a partner was just what I was looking for I guess...let me know when you finish the first one and I will start the second with you

message 3: by Dennis (last edited Jun 07, 2016 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dennis Cooper When you to Feast I may join you. That's where I am in series.

Ashley Awesome! I will announce on here and Twitter when I begin reading each book. My Twitter is _astonishingash if anyone wants to follow.

Allison ☾ I've been wanting to read them over again too. I've read 1-4 and tried following along with the show, but ended up confusing myself as it strayed further and further from the book series.
I must say I prefer the books. I need to re-read 1-5 in preparation for Winds of Winter!

Marc Childs Allison wrote: "I've been wanting to read them over again too. I've read 1-4 and tried following along with the show, but ended up confusing myself as it strayed further and further from the book series.
I must sa..."

Well thats no worry you probably have years before that knowing George... :(

I am in the process of rereading and am onto Storm, I'll join in when you guys get there!

Allison ☾ Marc wrote: "Allison wrote: "I've been wanting to read them over again too. I've read 1-4 and tried following along with the show, but ended up confusing myself as it strayed further and further from the book s..."

Marc you're right. I don't know what happened with the whole thing but I'm a little sad. I just hope he finishes the book series in his own GRRM way, without influence from the show writers.

Ashley Allison wrote: "I've been wanting to read them over again too. I've read 1-4 and tried following along with the show, but ended up confusing myself as it strayed further and further from the book series.
I must sa..."

That is another reason why I have been wanting to read them again. PLEASE GEORGE!!! I need the next book!! I had read in an interview that the show and the books would end the same, but the paths to get there will be different so I have some hope that not everything will be spoiled.

Ashley Marc wrote: "Allison wrote: "I've been wanting to read them over again too. I've read 1-4 and tried following along with the show, but ended up confusing myself as it strayed further and further from the book s..."

I am glad to hear it, Marc. :)

Allison ☾ The Astonishing Ashley wrote: "Allison wrote: "I've been wanting to read them over again too. I've read 1-4 and tried following along with the show, but ended up confusing myself as it strayed further and further from the book s..."

Ashley, I heard GRRM revealed to the show writers how he wanted to end the series so I am glad that it will essentially end the same. I guess I should be glad that the show and books are different enough to where you could do one before the other and still enjoy it two times.
But yeah any idea when Winds of Winter is supposed to be released? :/

Allison ☾ Do you guys have a favorite character/storyline?

message 12: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs that is quite the loaded question, but I would have to go with Bran and Tyrion as my two favorites

Allison ☾ Marc wrote: "that is quite the loaded question, but I would have to go with Bran and Tyrion as my two favorites"

No arguments. My book favorites are Tyrion, Jaime and Arya. My show favorites are Davos, Bran and Jon Snow. Some of the characters are developing more slowly or different. My least favorite character in both books and show would have to be Danaerys, but props to her for trying. GRRM did such a good job making everyone so different, I appreciate even the characters that I don't like.

message 14: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs Oh yeah she can frustrate the hell out of me, the only one that truly bores the hell out of me is Brienne. I could end up eating my words but she just doesn't seem to fit quite right in the world he built, which I guess is kind of the point of her.

Allison ☾ Marc wrote: "Oh yeah she can frustrate the hell out of me, the only one that truly bores the hell out of me is Brienne. I could end up eating my words but she just doesn't seem to fit quite right in the world h..."

Yeah I can agree on that. She bores me too. At first I thought it was cool because her motivations were clear: she never truly felt comfortable with herself being called ugly and manly, Renly was the only person who ever treated her with proper respect, so she was loyal to him up until the end. Now I need to re-read the scene with Lady Stoneheart because I don't remember the details, but I just don't understand her at this point.

And Dany frustrates me because she has no business doing half the things she is doing. Me being a young female like her, I honestly can't relate in any way and I think the character is not very bright. Fueled by anger, having people wait on her hand and foot, trying to bite off more than she can chew. People die because of her bad judgment.

message 16: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs Oh man I could talk about this stuff all day, I'm going to hold my tongue for a bit as they work through the books for fear of spoiling something but can't wait to discuss further with you guys.

Ashley My first time reading the series I found Arya's, Bran's, and bits of Dany's chapters hard to get through. However, the second time I read through the series I remember enjoying them.

message 18: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs It's so much easier once you've kind of sorted out who everyone is that's for sure

message 19: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs I've been thinking a lot about the first book since coming across this and the one chapter that really sticks out to me is when Bran is in a coma. So much foreshadowing and really shows the brilliance of GRRM's writing. He wakes up and calls his wolf Summer which given the scope of winter is coming really I think foreshadows Bran's importance (along with his wolves) in stopping the walkers. Any thoughts?

Allison ☾ Marc wrote: "I've been thinking a lot about the first book since coming across this and the one chapter that really sticks out to me is when Bran is in a coma. So much foreshadowing and really shows the brillia..."

I have so many theories about Bran it's ridiculous lol. We might need to speak in private.

Allison ☾ By the way I love this thread because I'm working on a spreadsheet and this is my "I'm just resting my eyes" escape.

message 22: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs Allison wrote: "Marc wrote: "I've been thinking a lot about the first book since coming across this and the one chapter that really sticks out to me is when Bran is in a coma. So much foreshadowing and really show..."

I've always got my tinfoil hat on so bring on the theories! Anytime you got one you want to discuss just send me a message

Ashley During this read I've been taking notes of places I think could be possible foreshadowing and I wrote Summer's name down for the same reason as you. :) I'd love to hear your theories as well. I am terrible at making predictions!

Melissa I'm about 1/2 way through Game of Thrones so I'd like to join the thread.

I do watch the show and love it, I think I'd like the book too. I'm catching things that I didn't quite understand with the show and now it all makes sense.

My favorite character is Daenerys Targaryen.

Ashley Welcome to the thread!

Allison ☾ Melissa wrote: "I'm about 1/2 way through Game of Thrones so I'd like to join the thread.

I do watch the show and love it, I think I'd like the book too. I'm catching things that I didn't quite understand with th..."

I think you'll like book 1 because it's the exact same as season 1 of the show. Things start drifting apart in book 2 I think you'll see. They're still really good though. Hope you like them as much as we all did.

James I'm going to join you guys on the fourth book of this series. I hope everyone who hasn't read the first book of this series is enjoying it so far.

message 28: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs Ashley, I am just curious, are you picking up on anything interesting this go round. The beginning of book 1 has so much going on in it, I feel its very easy to gloss over parts.

Ashley Marc, I'm picking up more foreshadowing, but it's of events that I already know happens later in the series. GRRM is incredibly gifted at weaving subtle and obvious hints throughout this tangled web of a story. I'm writing down things that I think could possibly be foreshadowing in the unreleased novels, but who knows? I plan on making a detailed discussion on here and on my YouTube channel.

message 30: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Childs Awesome! I look forward to seeing it!

Melissa Finished book 1 today. I'm not sure when I'll get to book 2. I joined a reading challenge for the summer and these are a bit long for me to start during it.

Allison ☾ Melissa wrote: "Finished book 1 today. I'm not sure when I'll get to book 2. I joined a reading challenge for the summer and these are a bit long for me to start during it."

Same here. I'm in the middle of another series and these take me a while.

Emily Just to let anyone who is interested know, I'm doing a group read/reread of this series. We're about to finish the first. If you are interested, it's here: http://bookhouse.club/

message 34: by Reem (last edited Jun 18, 2016 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem Abdalla ahh I'm so glad I found company! I reread the first book only, since the first time I did, I was so confused and it took me a while. Now I just started book 2 and my favourite story lines would be Bran, Arya and by the end of the first book I started to develop a liking to Sansa! that's weird cause I hated her guts from the first start!
now that I hear you guys mentioning how different the books and the show are I don't know if I should watch the first season now or just watch them all after I'm done with all of the books

Ashley I would suggest watching it after finishing the books. It can be confusing to remember what happened in the books and the show at times so I wouldn't suggest doing it simultaneously.

Allison ☾ Ashley is right. However the book series is not complete, so you will end up having to stop. If you decide to watch the show first, I would recommend waiting on the books until you finish, and not during.

Ashley Hey everyone! I just wanted to update and say that I have finished A Game of Thrones and am in the works of a discussion panel. The problem that I am running into is that there are too many topics to chose from and I don't think anyone wants the discussion to take so long. So my question is what topic would you be interested in the most?

Allison ☾ I would be interested if you covered the different Houses that were introduced and their archetypes. Maybe touch briefly on an explanation of the family trees for each house, because god knows it gets confusing. And also some history on the wall, the iron throne, Robert's rebellion, stuff like that? Just a suggestion.

Ashley Thank you, Allison. I love the house ideas! That allows me talk about characters and plots while exploring themes of the novel. I would love to do the history of Westeros, but I am also making a video of my discussion and I'd have to make a an entire video series on that...which I'd love to do, but don't know if I would have time.

Allison ☾ It is important to touch on themes in the novel because GRRM presented them in a non-cookie cutter way, which I love.

It's not black and white on who is hero and who is villain. For example: Jaime Lannister. It would be a good discussion I think.

Ashley That is what I love so much about the series. Everything is ambiguous. No character or action is necessarily right or wrong.

Allison ☾ Yeah it really made the story for me. Everyone is so human. Even when you hate them you understand why they operate.

Later on, if you do more discussions for the other books, you should touch on character evolution. That's also something that stood out to me about this series: character building and character evolution.

Ashley I am definitely planning on that. Thank you, again!