UB Libraries Book Group discussion

Snuff (Discworld, #39; City Watch #8)
This topic is about Snuff
June 2016 > Snuff

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kath | 200 comments Mod
Becky will begin our discussion on June 27th.

message 2: by Becky (last edited Jun 27, 2016 09:17AM) (new)

Becky | 140 comments Hello everyone. I hope you all had a nice weekend.
We can get started on the discussion of Snuff by Terry Pratchett.
I figured I would pose a few questions and see where they led.

How did people like the book? Too light hearted or otherwise? He is classified as a YA author. Would you agree or not?
I find I chuckle through his books. Sam Vimes is one of my favorite characters.

Was the environment understandable or too different to get into?
The Discworld apparently is a flat disc, sitting on 4 elephants, perched on a huge turtle, hurtling through space.

Did you like the story line?
Feel free to dislike the book if it is too childish. I find his books fun, uplifting, a nice departure from the real world. I won't be mad if others don't feel the same. :-)
If you did like the book, he has about 38 others to read. Of the discworld series, I didn't like a few of them, the first book being one of them. Perhaps he was just hitting his stride.
Let the discussion begin!

Ellen | 223 comments I have heard about this series of Terry Pratchett's a lot, but never read anything in it. I enjoyed the clever dialog and didn't find it childish at all. Thanks for getting me to read this, Becky!

One thing I missed was knowing the background of the series though. It took a while to sort of understand the "class structure" of goblins, dwarves, etc. For every new character mentioned, I thought s/he must have an interesting backstory, especially the various police personnel in town. And I had no idea about the Discworld environment until reading your post, Becky!

message 4: by Becky (last edited Jun 27, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Becky | 140 comments Ellen,
I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are many books with the backstories of each species. The structure of society is decidedly British. With a touch of the aristocracy still existing as in modern day Britain.
The first book about Sam Vimes is "Men at Arms". It reminded me of the Barney Miller tv series. With all the crazy characters and humor. You might like that one also.
I find he can put a whole new spin on technologies and institutions we take for granted. Trains, stamps, telegraphs, amazing. The clacks are their telegraphs.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Funny story, related to Terry Pratchett. When we had just moved back to Buffalo, I was in the downtown library, looking for a book. I asked the librarian if she could help me find it. I told her the name of the book. The look on her face was priceless. It said, "Oh, no, she's one of those". When I spelled it for her, "Equal Rites" and told her the author's name, the look of relief was almost comical. Another one of his good books. :-)
I find he talks about lessons teenagers can use to learn. I suppose that is why he is classified YA.

Marlies Borzynski | 61 comments Although this isn't something I normally read (and I do read YA books) I have to say I chuckled a lot throughout the book. A few places I got confused and had to re-read sections. I agree with Ellen that knowing the more about the structure might have helped. Actually Becky's description of what discworld looks like helped a lot. I don't remember reading it in this book. Actually reading that description of discworld also made me smile.

I especially liked that I could not predict everything that was going to happen. I'm thinking that this summer I should read one when Vimes isn't forced to find the bad guys, they come looking for him :)

Kath | 200 comments Mod
I definitely enjoyed this book and even laughed out loud at parts; the dialogue was very entertaining. I'm a fan of sci-fi/fantasy and YA but had never read anything by him before. I actually didn't pick up on this as YA. I had no familiarity with this world but did not find it difficult to get into at all.

I had no background on what Discworld was so am a bit intrigued to hear it is a flat disc balanced on four elephants... I did find it interesting to hear about the class structure of the different beings and thought it particularly interesting the political/social change occurring as the goblins were increasingly recognized as thinking, feeling beings. Having such a large series to dig into is a little daunting but I appreciate the Terry Pratchett website breaking down the series by character if anyone is interested: http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/ty...

I've just started reading a Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman collaboration called Good Omens and am finding it similarly funny so far.

message 8: by Becky (last edited Jun 27, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Becky | 140 comments Well, Marlies, that begs the question about the quote, "where there are coppers, there is crime." His, by the book, sergeant asks if he meant that the other way round. He declines to correct himself. :-)

message 9: by Becky (last edited Jun 27, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Becky | 140 comments Thanks Kath, I couldn't find a reading guide on the particular title. That is a wonderful resource. Organizes the characters.
Except for a couple, I liked all the books. You might want to start towards the beginning by publication date. Wait until you encounter "the luggage". It is probably sentient.... :-)

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Kath, I wouldn't be daunted. Go along reading them when you need a pick me up. Or look at it as, ou-u, so many good books to read. The hardest part of reading a good book for me, is when it ends....

Ellen | 223 comments I will definitely check out more in the series (or subseries?) with Sam Vimes. I had no idea Pratchett was so prolific. What a loss his passing was.

I think our book club read Good Omens quite a while ago and I remembered liking it.

I liked Young Sam and his obsession with poo and the "poo lady." Usually he was involved during some of my laugh-out-loud moments. I especially liked the way he fell for the girl goblin who played the harp and how he would hug her leg and she would look frightened.

Medlibrarian | 9 comments Becky wrote: "Hello everyone. I hope you all had a nice weekend.
We can get started on the discussion of Snuff by Terry Pratchett.
I figured I would pose a few questions and see where they led.

How did people ..."

OMG, how did I miss that you were reading Pratchett????

He was possibly one of the most brilliant fantasy authors out there and even though I am pretty unsentimental about keeping books on my personal shelves, his are the ones that have never, ever, not ever been weeded.

My personal favorite of the Discworld series is Guards! Guards!

And his collaboration with Neil Gaiman on Good Omens is not to be missed.

Ellen | 223 comments So you're an expert :-) Did you read Snuff?

Medlibrarian | 9 comments Ellen wrote: "So you're an expert :-) Did you read Snuff?"

When it came out. Been a few years, though. Anything with the Watch and Lady Sybil is always good :)

message 15: by Kath (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kath | 200 comments Mod
I will also be checking out more of the series. Ellen, Young Sam and his fascination with poo also made me laugh. Seems true to life with some kids I've known.

Becky, I just googled "Pratchett luggage" and came up with all sorts of wikis and sites... one quote caught my eye in describing the luggage: "half suitcase, half homicidal maniac". Sounds like fun! :)

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Kath, yes, the luggage has been suspected of being carnivorous. :-)

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Looking at Kathie's link, I believe "Guards, Guards" is the first Sam Vimes book.

Medlibrarian | 9 comments Becky wrote: "Looking at Kathie's link, I believe "Guards, Guards" is the first Sam Vimes book."

Yes, it is. It is my absolute favorite Pratchett novel. Followed closely by Hogfather.

Ellen | 223 comments Was the thing about Sam talking to the darkness explained in an earlier book when he acquired the skill?

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Yes, Michelle might know which one exactly, but it has to do with his exploits with the Dwarfs.

message 21: by Kath (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kath | 200 comments Mod
I liked that part, that Sam had access to this darkness (and dark side). And kind of related to Becky's previous comment about "where there are coppers, there is crime", I liked that there is a very gray area to the good guys like Sam and his manservant/bodyguard (whose name is escaping me) where their actions can be very similar to the bad guys. Makes things more interesting, I think.

Ellen | 223 comments I really liked Willikins, the always innocent-seeming, I-did-nothing valet. He made sure bad people got something of what they deserved, even if it meant Sam had to look the other way a bit.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments I agree Kathie and I like Willikins also, Ellen. Sorry, I could gush. I like all the characters, really.

Ellen | 223 comments I checked out the link Kathy sent us but didn't see anything there about Lord Viniteri (sp?). I wasn't sure exactly who he was, but surmised he was probably a superior of Sam Vimes and possibly a mentor figure?

I liked it when they referred to the ha-ha, the ho-ho and the he-he :-)

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Ventari doesn't have his own series, I believe. He is the benevolent tyrant of Ankh Morpork. Think Machiavelli, Borgia... :-)

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments By the way, did we ever set a date for our July physical get together?

message 27: by Kath (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kath | 200 comments Mod
We have not yet set a date. I figured I'd wait until the Snuff discussion concluded and then send out a doodle poll.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Sure. Sounds good.
Only problem, I hate to say, is that we could go on forever. Terry Pratchett has a wealth of content to discuss/enjoy. :-)

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm late to the show! Becky, I just wanted to thank you for recommending this one. It was great! So much fun! And something I likely wouldn't have read otherwise. Thanks very much!

PS- I was looking for a new series to get into- I think I found it!

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky | 140 comments Amy, glad you liked it. A good summer read.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie Phillips | 9 comments I was late to the show as well. I never would have read this without the group. Entertained.

message 32: by Kath (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kath | 200 comments Mod
Thanks so much to Becky for leading the discussion!

Below is link for a doodle poll for anyone interested in getting together for a summer in-person chat. Like last year, I anticipate the gathering being on the North Campus and have selected dates and afternoon times but am open to alternatives if people have other suggestions!
http://doodle.com/poll/k4uueuiz7d7ae6px