Play Book Tag discussion

The Noise of Time
This topic is about The Noise of Time
Archive: Other Books > The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5068 comments This is a fictional biography of the composer Shostakovich, told mostly from his point of view. I'm having difficulty rating it because this type of book is just not my cup of tea - it's morose, depressing (life in Russia in Stalin's time), yet oddly enough, compelling in its own way. It went smoother and faster than I expected it to. The reader can't help but wonder how close the author got to the actual emotions and thoughts of Shostakovich himself, and no one will ever really know.

So I'm giving it 3.5 stars, rounding up to 4. I'm glad I was pressed to read it for a game, as it's not a book I would ever pick up on my own.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I've got this on my books to watch list. I was impressed with the lyricism of Barnes' language in The Sense of an Ending so was thinking/hoping this one would be the same.

annapi | 5068 comments Denizen wrote: "I've got this on my books to watch list. I was impressed with the lyricism of Barnes' language in The Sense of an Ending so was thinking/hoping this one would be the same."

There is a lyricism to his language. I enjoyed his writing, but the oppression of Stalin and the Russian government was depressing. If you want to know what life was like for an artist living in Stalin's time, this book certainly paints you a picture of it.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I liked Barnes' earlier works, but really didn't care for The Sense of an Ending. I'm not sure if I will pick this one up.