2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
This topic is about Where Shadows Dance
Where Shadows Dance > Question G

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
When Hero learned of her abigail's betrayal, she still had sympathy for Marie. Why do you think she had this type reaction? What does it say about Hero?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments As with Sebastian, I think that it shows that Hero's nobility isn't just superficial either. She demonstrates her awareness of the plight of the less fortunate and works at bringing those social injustices to public attention through her writings so it's not surprising that she would be sympathetic to her own staff. I liked that even though she felt she had always treated Marie fairly that she was willing to consider if there was more she could have done. Perhaps she'll learn from Sebastian the art of developing more personal relationships with her personal staff.

Food for thought. I was unsure exactly from where her perspective arose. I always thought Hero saw her as a necessary prop to do what she wanted (needed a companion). Could it be that Hero underestimated Marie, didn't see her as a person?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments To me, Hero's reaction was out of guilt even though it was probably not justified. Hero might not have seen Marie as a friend or confidant (she was still a servant after all), but she treated her well and she was paid for her work. Marie's betrayal was unwarranted and stemmed from greed.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I also had a very hard time with Marie's betrayal, both inside and outside the home. After all, Jarvis learned that Hero was pregnant when he called for Marie to speak to him. I'm sure he asked about bed linens and monthly events (present or missing). Hero and others of her class did not have any privacy.

Joanna | 139 comments Hero already had in mind that the men were going to kill them. Maybe she just decided there was no need for hatred in what was expected to be the last moments of their lives. Let kindness and comfort be the last thing a person experiences.
I can understand her feeling guilty for Marie being in the situation to begin with. It's one of those because you know me these bad things can happen to you. Leaders and super heroes have the same outlook.

That's a wonderful and insightful perspective, Joanna. It would be a great question to pose to the author.