2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
This topic is about Where Shadows Dance
Where Shadows Dance > Question E

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Sep 26, 2016 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
The political morass of this story, combined with the number of potential suspects, seemed to hamper deductions. Did you have any issues in following the case? When, if ever, did you figure out the who and the why?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I did a have a bit of a tougher time keeping up with all the political angles in this story - a sign of how woefully unknowledgeable I am about England's history. I felt like I was able to follow it better on my second reread. And no, I never figured out the killer.

I had to look some of this stuff up, most notably the War of 1812. My husband was helping me out with the British campaigns in France and Russia. He helped me a lot with Napoleon's strategies. (Hubby is a war buff and especially English history.)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments What a nice resource you have! :-)

He's wonderful!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Definitely sounds like a keeper. :-)

He took issue with the US declaring war as the British forced their hand with their "act of war" through the impressioning of the American men.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Well, two sides to every story and all that, lol. And since the characters are all British I guess some bias is to be expected. ;-)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments It is definitely one of the more convoluted plots with lots of characters having their own agendas that muddy the waters.

One of the things I love most about this series is the inclusion of more obscure historical events and people. Harris incorporates it all so well in this one with the family of the sailor who has been impressed into service. It makes it more personal.

I wondered the significance of the Batemans in this story until the end. They helped to illustrate the situation.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I was unable to discern who the murderer was, but I was along for the twisted and furious ride!

I also like the bits of history I learn in this series.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I end up googling quite a bit and learning things too. :-)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I end up googling quite a bit and learning things too. :-)"

Wikipedia is my constant companion with these books

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments LOL, me too, Lauren. If it were possible, I'd have Wikipedia on speed dial.

Joanna | 139 comments It reminded me of the country song: Who's cheating who, and who's being true. I got confused with who was on spying for which country. I never did figure it out. The way the suspects kept getting killed, I figured whomever was left standing at the end of the book would be the killer.

Lol! There was that, too:)