2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
This topic is about Where Shadows Dance
Where Shadows Dance > Question C

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Let's talk about Sebastian's reveal to Jarvis of his intention to marry Hero. What did you think of how Sebastian chose to tell him and Jarvis' reaction?

He told him on a public street. Jarvis had no choice but to contain himself and was clearly in shock. Sebastian could have arranged to meet him in his home and chose a neutral, public venue. I thought it brilliant, clearly disarming a man who's unaccustomed to being off balance.

message 3: by Veronica (last edited Jun 06, 2016 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I didn't even think of that angle! Now it seems so obvious, especially given that Sebastian told Hero he had no intention of giving Jarvis the chance to forbid the match. Clever boy!

It must've been a shock to ol' Jarvis, the man who prides himself on knowing all the goings on in London. Blind sided by his own daughter. lol

Makes you wonder how he's going to deal with Sebastian in the future. He knows the man is dangerous.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments The marriage certainly complicates an already tense situation. And now Hero is firmly caught in the middle.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments It was smart of Sebastian to do it in public. It didn't give Jarvis a chance to object.

Yes, it does seem like Hero is going to be caught in the middle, but she is under no illusions as to her father and his machinations. It will be interesting to see how she handles the situation.

At this point, it didn't appear that she knows how she's going to deal with the future conflicts ahead of her. But, with her skills, she'll find that balance and it will be uneasy.

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I agree that Sebastian was smart to do it in public. We know Jarvis does not like Sebastian and this way no harm was done. Thst can all chsnge though in future books. I dont think Jarvis will ever be OK with that.

Joanna | 139 comments Sebastian knows how to deal with the aristocrats, Jarvis being no exception. The news caught Jarvis off guard. He knew his daughter's views on marriage and maybe he was thinking Sebastian had a more sinister reason for targeting Hero. But obviously he found out the reason at the end of the book, and more important he may have noticed that they both do have feelings for one another.

That's a good point, Joanna, about him knowing the minds of aristocrats.

message 11: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine | 40 comments I liked the contrast of Jarvis's reaction (that it was some prank or trick that Sebastian was playing on him) with Aunt Henrietta. For Jarvis everything revolves around men and their political machinations. Aunt Henrietta is actually a better observer in this instance--she sees more of what's actually going on than the "spymaster."

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I love Aunt Henrietta!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I love Aunt Henrietta!"

Me too!
She reminds me of Lady Danbury in the Bridgertons and Lady Obsbaldstone in the Cynster series (for those who read historical romances).