What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Short play, or excerpt from a play. 'Otto', awaited by parents, arrives home, leaves, a shot is heard

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hari (new)

Hari | 4 comments A short story, or play, or extract from one, which was part of English literature study for 17-18 year olds, around the year 1991.

I've been searching for this on the net for more than a year, without luck.

Please help me find the name of the story or play, and author. I want to read it again.

What I remember (almost for certain):
Otto, possibly Jewish, likely a young man, visits home after an absence, meets aged parents. He has some kind of political agitation or dissent in mind, which the parents disapprove of. He is pursued by the police I think, and as he leaves the house, a shot is heard, and the parents remark to themselves (I think it's the father), " will we (n)ever learn?".

Not sure of the following points, don't let them lead you astray:
I have a vague recollection that the scene is set in Europe around one of the great wars, possibly the second one going by the context.
Another vague notion connected with this is "atonement".

message 2: by Hari (new)

Hari | 4 comments Bump

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36865 comments Mod
Hari, normal bump time is 30 days. Give it a little time, only 25 people (including you) have seen your query.

message 4: by Hari (new)

Hari | 4 comments Hi, I realise that, and I'm sorry.
And now this acknowledgement will have the same effect as a premature bump, breaking the convention even further, sorry again!

Best,
Hari.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No problem.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Hari, are you still looking for this?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Hari, are you still looking for this?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.