Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Vampire Academy discussion

Is it worth a read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by sim (new)

sim Everyone's always raving about Vampire Academy and I was wondering if it's as good as everyone claims it to be. How's the storyline and characters? Should I buy it? :/

Morgan It's good, just good. Not the best book I have ever read but also far from the worst. It's entertaining and fun. I would recommend it, just don't expect it to be one of the best books ever written.

Nikita Yes, it is a good read. I love this series.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The series as a whole is great. Books 1 and 2 I found ok but book 3 onwards I loved. The characters are amazing all with their own flaws of course. The plot takes twist and turns that I definitely didn't expect. For me it was definitely worth reading.

Tigris This series was one of my favorites. After you get past book 1 & 2 (both were really good), you can't help but get sucked in. The characters were great and I really fell in love with them. I recommend reading it.

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Beel Stole & Ate My Heart × ¨*: The series has it's ups and downs but the first book is very average.

Kelly .·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: wrote: "The series has it's ups and downs but the first book is very average."

I completely agree. If it was only one book it would be a nonstarter. If you can borrow it from a library you may find it a better use of your time. I read all of them from the library and like the series as a whole but the first one very average too.

James The book is worth a read, even thought it had its flaws. Also, if you like a fun and entertaining book this book is for you and makes sure to keep reading the rest of the books in the series because they get a lot of better once you complete the book. I hope that you enjoy the Vampire Academy series just like me even thougt it is my first time to read this series too.

MommyDearest Yes, read it. It's a good series.

message 10: by Yara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yara I finished the whole series in 8 days. I absalutley love the series, i expected it to be dumb and horrible, but the characters were so well written and i love the story and everything about the series is perfect.

message 11: by Kelsie (last edited May 09, 2014 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelsie Yes! Vampire Academy is worth it!!! The whole series is fantastic! Even the next series (Bloodlines)! You will fall in love with the characters in both series! Richelle Mead constructed these characters in a brilliant way! I love the story and series! And I hope you will too!

Jessica Ummmmm most deffinatly YES!!XD it is such a great book that think everyone needs to read if you like parnormal/fantasy books!

message 13: by sim (new)

sim Thanks everyone :) Based on what you all are saying, I guess I'll read it!
Thanks again ;)

Sami777 It's good. Not the best book I have ever read but also far from the worst. It's entertaining and fun.

Veronica Love this series. book 1 is slow but the others are awesome.

Veronica Knight You must must must read this book. Ignore the title. After books 1 and 2, you cannot put it down.

message 17: by J.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.A. Kenney I think it depends on what KIND of books you like...with everything there is a huge personal taste component....

If you enjoy tough gritty female characters, and complex relationships. A good deal of angst and emotional drama....

This is the perfect series. If you like happy go lucky books....

Probably not...

Daniela Florez You have to read it to know and gladly the first book is not that long and in my opinion it gives a pretty good idea of what the rest of the books are. What I concluded from my read of the first two books was that it was not worth it. I dont know what was it, maybe the vampire topic is too wasted at this point, it also could've been that I tought it was going to be more "intersting" and I found it shallow, at some points even ridiculous. I can tell you one thing, I liked the movie far better than the book, of course that's just me, I've heard of so many people who liked it.

Kelly Marie It takes a minute to get started but I was hooked after the second book! Must read.

message 20: by Lev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lev Its amazing! If you thought the first book was just okay then continue with the series because it gets even better

message 21: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose Ya I've read the entire series and even all the Bloodlines books released so far & I think the series was a fascinating fantastically written awesome tour with some new concepts 'bout the vampire world ( like the whole mortal & immortal - good & evil vampires issue with the guardings and their protecting agenda and such sort of things )If you haven't read the Vampire Academy books yet then I would suggest you to buy them if you wanna have a fun ride !

message 22: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose As the series proceeds it gets better and better :)

Melek I wouldn't especially recommend it, it's not great or anything, but it worths a try. Good enough to spend some time.

Thania Cibrian I recommend these books. I really enjoyed all of them and was excited to go see the movie! Although I have to admit I was a bit disappointed on who played Lisa and Dimitri.....

message 25: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen Yes.. you can check my book list.. I have read more than 200 books and Vampire Academy is the one most precious to me.. I am obsessed with this book.. Best Book Ever..

message 26: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Believe me, it is. It's my favorite serrie!!! If you read it, please send me a mail and tell me what you think.

message 27: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen Nightlock wrote: "Thanks everyone :) Based on what you all are saying, I guess I'll read it!
Thanks again ;)"

Let us know what you think when you're done.. :)

Zindia Pierson I read the first book and agree with some of the other comments that it is a very average book. i have decided to not read the series. Should I give the series a try anyway?

message 29: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Zindia wrote: "I read the first book and agree with some of the other comments that it is a very average book. i have decided to not read the series. Should I give the series a try anyway?"
You should, Frostbite is more action if you love that. there are others who you are going to love

Carol I loved the series. So maybe give the second a try.

Zindia wrote: "I read the first book and agree with some of the other comments that it is a very average book. i have decided to not read the series. Should I give the series a try anyway?"

Carol There's a movie?? I'll have to check it out.

Thania wrote: "I recommend these books. I really enjoyed all of them and was excited to go see the movie! Although I have to admit I was a bit disappointed on who played Lisa and Dimitri....."

Starie The series can be slow, at times, but they are decent books. It's not the best book series I've ever read, but it passes the time nicely. If you like the supernatural, you'll like the books. I think Frostbite is better than the first book.

Janie out of the series vampire academy was not my favourite nor was the second book. but i believe you should always start a series from the beginning and work your way in. This is a series that you want to do that. the last two books, maybe three?, were really good. they were ones i would read again and again. So if you struggle through the first just know there is light at the end of the tunnel

Vartika saying it is worth a read would definitely be an understatement. It was INCREDIBLE. The characters are great. Specially Adrian and Rose. Badass. One of the series I have read more than once!!

Odile Maite Nightlock wrote: "Everyone's always raving about Vampire Academy and I was wondering if it's as good as everyone claims it to be. How's the storyline and characters? Should I buy it? :/"
Yes you should totally buy/read it. It's an easy and fun read.

Carinne When I first read the series in High school I thought it was amazing, the best vampire book series ever, but i've graduated H.S. and I remember wanting to read this book again because I loved it the 1st time, so i'm going to love it again, right? Wrong! I thought it was terrible! I hate the characters they were all so damn whiny who the heck was I in high school!

message 37: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen I am 26 years old, and I still re read this series again and again.. And I know I will keep doing it.. Love this Series.. It never stops to make you laugh or cry, no matter how many times you read it..

Carol I'm middle-aged, and I loved it. Lot of character development as well as action. I love character development.

message 39: by Veronica (last edited Jun 20, 2014 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Veronica I'm currently on book four and I'm just finding it so-so. I find most of the secondary characters more interesting and likeable than Rose, who comes across as bratty and acts younger than her 17 years (more like 12) IMO. Dmitri, so far, is just boring and lacking in personality. And why a 24 year old man would be the slightest bit attracted to such an immature girl is beyond me. Then again, he's so bland maybe she's the best he can get. I am committed to finishing the series but it's becoming more of a chore to read now.

I had been handing the books over to my 16 year old daughter to read as I finished them but she gave up midway through the second book. She hated Rose and thought the romance was "stupid". I had a moment of parental pride.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood I thought it sucked... I hated the whole first book and couldn't even make it 50 pages into the 2ed one. So no.... in my opinion it was not good at all

Jennifer Please please, I am begging on my knees here. Do not go through that torture on this book. It was horrible. The plot I think would have been very good, but the characters ruined it for me. I felt like it was such a drag and its in the shelf of the worst books I have ever read which I reserve for those few and special books.

message 42: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen Jennifer wrote: "Please please, I am begging on my knees here. Do not go through that torture on this book. It was horrible. The plot I think would have been very good, but the characters ruined it for me. I felt l..."

Are you sure you read the right series?? I know the first two books are a bit slow but they get a lot better with the third one and gets better as the series goes on.. It's one of the best book I have ever read.. And you can check my book list to know how many I HAVE READ.. And that's saying something..

message 43: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow' wrote: "I thought it sucked... I hated the whole first book and couldn't even make it 50 pages into the 2ed one. So no.... in my opinion it was not good at all"

I know the first two books are a bit slow but they get a lot better with the third one and gets better as the series goes on.. The third book is just about setting the background.. I have read this series like 6 times and can still read it a few times more.. I can't say that for a lot of other books..

It's one of the best book I have ever read.. And you can check my book list to know how many I HAVE READ.. And that's saying something..

message 44: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen Odile wrote: "Nightlock wrote: "Everyone's always raving about Vampire Academy and I was wondering if it's as good as everyone claims it to be. How's the storyline and characters? Should I buy it? :/"
Yes you s..."

Yes.. Please.. It's one of the best series you'll ever read.. The first book is just about setting the background.. Things get better and better as the series goes on. :)

Jessica Most definitely this book is worth reading!!! It may sound stupid but it is really interesting. And it gets to be more enjoyable throughout the series. It made me really sad to see all the negitive reviews (not saying that's a bad thing or anything because everyone has their own opinion) bc I really think this book is worth reading. I absolutly loved this series and read it twice and I usually NEVER read books more than once. If you have ever read Jennifer L. Armentrouts Half Blood series and liked it then you would like this one bc it is basically the same thing for the entire first book but sooo much better! And most all the male characters are to die for! But just DONT watch the movie first.....or ever...bc it sucked(no pun intended).

Naomi Speakman I'm new to the series, but I'm almost partway through Spirit Bound (the fifth book) and I'm loving it.
After you meet Adrian Ivashkov, it should be enough to make you read on.

Taylor This is an amazing book and you should definitely read it. It is written well and captures your attention from the beginning. I can't even put into words how much I loved this series. You fall in love with the characters ( especially Dimitri ;) and as they go through the trials and tribulations in their lives you feel as though you are right there with them. As you go through the series all of the books keep your attention. There isn't a single book that lacks in action or excitement. There is a lot of romance in this series and some scenes may not be appropriate for young readers. It is definitely a must read this summer.

Dawyn.S. Hunter this is definitely worth the the read, i was recommended it and it amazed me with all its twists and turns..which by the way were AWESOME...yeah so you should like read it real soon!!!!

What I Read Today This series keeps getting better and better. Many people say if you don't like the first two books, give the third one a chance, but I absolutely loved the first two, so I didn't really have any problem.

First half of the not book might be a little bit hard to get into, but once you got into this world, there is no coming back. I just love this series sooo much!

Taylor I know everyone has their own opinions but I really don't get why everyone is criticizing roses personality. She doesn't act like a twelve year old and she isn't whiney. She is protective and brave. She isn't perfect because she is seventeen. She is willing to risk her life for others and is always the first one charging into battle. I don't know any 12 year olds let alone 17 year olds that would do that. In my opinion it is an amazing series and it is a great read. Even thought the first two books might be slower than it you can't always have non stop action. It gets better as the series goes along and I loved all of them.

« previous 1