Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
This topic is about Sourcery
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Pratchett, Terry - Sourcery (Discworld #5) - Informal Buddy Read, Start Date Jun 6, 2016

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

Book synopsis:
When last seen, the singularly inept wizard Rincewind had fallen off the edge of the world. Now magically, he's turned up again, and this time he's brought the Luggage.

But that's not all....

Once upon a time, there was an eighth son of an eighth son who was, of course, a wizard. As if that wasn't complicated enough, said wizard then had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son -- a wizard squared (that's all the math, really). Who of course, was a source of magic -- a sourcerer.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Jen (last edited Jun 06, 2016 03:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments ⁀☆‿Ange ‿☆⁀ wrote: "Hi Jen!

I got my copy off Amazon! Yay!"

Hooray! I started it a few hours ago and found funny lines on three FOUR different pages within the first 15 pages. I love Terry Pratchett's writing!

I'm not too far into it yet (I'm on page 46/326; too many distractions, sigh) but I'm hoping to read some more before I give in to the need for sleep (it's 3:45a here right now). And I'm hoping that reading this as a buddy read with you will help me stay away from distractions and read! :-)

Thanks, Ange! Happy reading! :-)

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments ⁀☆‿Ange ‿☆⁀ wrote: "Haha! Distractions? What? I am terrible with those.

I am around pg. 105 and have been LOL on and off throughout. I really cracked up on the concubine - cucumber - vegetable comment."

So I haven't read a thing all day (distractions, *argh*) but I was sooo close to page 105 (I was on page 104, lol) that I read to see if I could find the comment you mentioned...and...found it! lol ;-)

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments ⁀☆‿Ange ‿☆⁀ wrote: "I got past 50% and couldn't stop reading! I finished today. It is really good and I want to read the next one to see what happens to Rincewind.

I love Terry's humor and just laughed my way right t..."

That's great to know, Ange! I'm past 50% but still have 100+ pages to go, or pretty close anyway. (I'm on page 233.) I too am loving the humor and I know I'll be eager to continue the series. Do you want to start book #6 right away? Or maybe at the end of June?

message 8: by Jen (last edited Jun 09, 2016 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I noticed that #6 is another witch book. I think it was rather cruel of Terry Pratchett to leave Rincewind stuck in the Dungeon Dimensions and not have him in book #6, lol. I hope he'll be okay there!

I finished Sourcery a couple of hours ago, and apart from that ending, I really loved it. But the ending was still great, I just wish Rincewind wasn't left in the lurch! :-)

If you don't mind, I'd like to wait a week or so before starting book six. You can go ahead and read it now, if you want. Request a thread and all that. And I can join you when I'm ready. I just need to read a book for a challenge and a couple of library books first. (The library books are ones that are due next Thursday and can't be renewed.)

And no, I haven't ever read The Raven Boys. It's on my To-Read shelf, though. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Maybe I'll try to get it from the library this month and join you in your buddy read thread. :-)

EDIT: Actually, The Raven Boys was NOT on my To-Read shelf! I fixed this and also placed a hold on it, but it'll be a little while before I can read it. All copies are in use. :-(