The Filipino Group discussion

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
This topic is about The Shadow of the Wind
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F54: June 2016 | The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | Theme: Second Chances

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ranee | 1902 comments Hi Guys!
It has been a loooong break and then some work on the side for most of us or the so-called "summer" break adjustments for some
I present to you June's book discussion
(waves magic hands in the air) Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Why this book for June's read
June is about second chances, or so I declared (F2F moderator hat is "on" haha!) so I gathered all the runner up F2F books from the past, fed them in a randomizer program on the internet and tadaaa, got this book

Join me for a month long journey with Daniel Sempere as he discovers a life within the pages of a book interwining with his very own life

This book is quite lengthy as to matters of page count. I will not recommend a reading plan (I generally do not follow them anyway) But do log in from time to time as I entice you to some activities and bits of questions for the whole month

Feel free to post your feels, I believe this book contains a vast amount of it, enough to make you cringe, to fear and to let a new perspective on how to be conquered by a Spanish.

Are you ready?
for pdf/ audio book copies, PM me.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments ~50% done. It's an engrossing read. One of the blurbs says if I love Possession, One Hundred Years of Solitude, and the New York Trilogy, I will also love this. I think that blurb is true.

Ranee | 1902 comments Angus, your statement got me curious with Possession!

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Rereading! :)

message 5: by Cary (new) - added it

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments A newbie here! :p I'm joining the discussion because I've been wanting to read this book. :)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Hi, Cary! :D See you at the f2f??

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Doc, Possession has characters unearthing the secret history of two poets. It has the same feel as the Shadow of the Wind.

Ranee | 1902 comments Hi! How is your reading?
Just a little fun activity to tickle your fancy-
Shadow of the wind is initially written in Spanish by Senor Zafon and was translated to English (so that we may read it)

If you were given a chance to have a Spanish name, what would it be? And why choose that name.
If your name sounds Spanish already, would you choose to be named differently? What name would it be?
And if given a chance to rename a TFG member a Spanish sounding name Who would it be and why?

Ranee | 1902 comments Also heads up! Reserve your June 25 for our Face to face discussion

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments I haven't started yet. I'll start once I finish the book that I'm currently reading. But Angus and Mawi said that it's an engrossing read so I think I could finish it on time.

I'll choose Elisa. Just altered my name a bit. A short form of my mother's name, Elisabeth/Elizabeth. Or maybe Manuela, from my father. Sounds more Spanish. Hehe!

Because Mawi's name is rare and of unknown country of origin, I'll rename her Maria Adoncia (view spoiler). (Peace, Mawi!) Adoncia means sweet, anyway. And I think "sweet" suits her (as far as I know :D).

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments For me: Alejandro. Because I like Alexander.

For Rehana: Rafaela. Because I like Rafael (Raphael) and because I think the meaning fits your profession (something about healing).

message 12: by Tin (new) - added it

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments For me: Elia. Because gumegame of thrones lang! (At pangarap ko asawahin si Rhaegar Targaryen!)

For Meliza: I hereby christen thee: Gabriela. Para humahigh school musical ka! :)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments For me: Isa; because my middle name is Elizabeth.

For Tin: Lorenza; because she's tall.

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments My names are actually Spanish names: Monica Cecilia. Pwede ko pa idagdag ang middle name at surname, Spanish din sila. (view spoiler)

But if I were to rename myself with another Spanish name, I'd choose "Aurora." Because stars/northern lights.

I'd rename Mommy Louize "Fidela," the male version of which, "Fidel," means "faithful."

Eleanor Tolentino | 7 comments Will start reading. Any idea of the time or venue for f2f. First time to join

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Hi, Eleanor! There's no venue yet but the time is usually 2pm or 3pm. Just check this thread from time to time for the details. :)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Me: Probably I'd go for Isabella. Lakas maka-alta lang. :D

I'd rename Chami as Angelica. As in Senyora Angelica Santibanez. Charot!

Veronica | 734 comments I like Monserrat because it's unique. There was a girl in school with that name and until now I've never come across anyone named Monserrat.

I 'd give Aaron the name Jacinto just because I like the sound of it. :)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments ^Maybe she was born or conceived there (Montserrat)?

Veronica | 734 comments Angus wrote: "^Maybe she was born or conceived there (Montserrat)?"

Maybe. She was in a higher batch but i remember she went with the mestiza girls. :)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Why do I associate Montserrat with vampires? lol

Ronnie, that's a Spanish name truly ba?

Ranee | 1902 comments Hmm, Rafaela has a nice ring in the ear. I'm torn between picturing myself as a tennis player or a teenage turtle. Hahaha. But I never knew it meant "healer"

Montserrat is a unique name. Akala ko French origin. I am learning new things here. :)

Since it is almost Father's day. And I hope you've reached this part of the book.
Daniel has a unique connection with his dad, they share a secret- the library of forgotten books.
Here is the second "activity"
Dad Connection: share a memory which for you is an "exclusive" thing you have with your father
Like that early breakfast coffee where he will save the last pandesal for you or the way you share the newspaper, he gets the sports section while you read the entertainment section, reading your horoscope for the day.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Dad connection:
(view spoiler)

Veronica | 734 comments Maria and Ranee, napa Google tuloy ako. Haha. It's a Spanish name alright but I didn't know you could spell it with a "t." I prefer the one without (Monserrat).

Dad connection:
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Louize (last edited Jun 13, 2016 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Doc, why do this to me? Parang lobotomy lang! :(

Dad connection:
(view spoiler)

Eleanor Tolentino | 7 comments Alright thanks

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Dad Connection:

(view spoiler)

Ranee | 1902 comments sorry Louize did not intentionally cause the lobotomy. But it felt so appropriate to remember these little things about our dad. It is Father's day this Sunday and Daniel and his father had that perfect vibe

Here is my connection:
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Daily (new) - added it

Daily Brew | 3 comments My Dad and I have a shared passion for which we pursued together through our coffee shop.

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Hi Doc! Do you have a venue already for the F2F? :)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Dad Connection: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Daily (new) - added it

Daily Brew | 3 comments Finally done! Excited to meet you all on Saturday

message 33: by Daily (new) - added it

Daily Brew | 3 comments I suppose the meeting will not push through tom?

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hi guys,

On behalf of Ranee, we'll be holding an impromptu discussion tomorrow. Below are the details:

Date: June 25
Place: Toby's Estate, Level 2, Main Wing, Shangri-La Plaza Mall, Ortigas, Mandaluyong City
Time: 2 PM

What to bring: Your love of books and your sense of humor!

Sorry for the very short notice but we hope to see you there!

Regards,
TFG Mods

Ranee | 1902 comments Hi guys! So sorry.
Bad moderator is bad.

Thank you Angus for taking over.

See you at Toby's Estate tomorrow!

Bring your feelings with the book

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.