Play Book Tag discussion

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
This topic is about The Golem and the Jinni
June, 2016: Fantasy > The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2133 comments Chava and Ahmad are immigrants in New York City as the new century begins in 1900. Neither chose to come to America. Chava is a golem, a clay woman brought to life to become the wife of a man who died while bringing his bride to New York. Ahmad is a Jinni, a mystical creature entrapped in a copper flask for centuries before being released in a tinsmith's shop. The two meet and become friends, the only friends that truly understand each other's differences. Various characters in the city become part of their story especially an evil man who is seeking the secret to eternal life and has a connection to both Chava and Ahmad.

After finishing this book yesterday, I had to spend some time thinking about it before posting a review. First, I am not a reader who enjoys fantasy or long books and this was certainly a long one. I can't say that I liked all of the story; at times I was confused with all of the historical details, character's names, and religious practices. However, I loved both of the main characters and found myself rooting for them throughout the book. I admire the breadth of the story and the exquisite writing. Although it is certainly not my genre of choice, I do think this is a book that I will remember for a long time.

Susie | 4488 comments I'm a quarter of the way through so I'll read this when I finish!

Hahtoolah | 422 comments I loved, loved, loved this book. I read it when it first came out then bought copies for my mom and sister.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments So glad that you found a book in the fantasy genre that stretched your reading boundaries AND you liked! Warms my PBT heart.

annapi | 4965 comments One of my favorite books!

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I loved this book, too. It was unique.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I had really high expectations for this book, but it was only a 4 star read for me. i listened to the audio and while it was well done, I think I would have preferred to read the book. At times, it was confusing due to shifts in time and also, I think I pay less attention due to multi-tasking while listening. I think this book deserves focused attention.

message 8: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jun 07, 2016 05:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1303 comments I enjoyed this book, except for the ending. I was a bit let down. But, I thought it was interesting and I really enjoyed Chava and Ahmed's story.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2018 comments Another book I enjoyed. I listened to the audio because I was walking a lot at the time. I was completely captured by the story of Ahmed and Chava.

Susie | 4488 comments I just finished it an loved it. I'll post a review tomorrow.

message 11: by Anita (last edited Jun 26, 2016 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments I'm 40% through and unfortunately am definitely not loving it. Not really even liking it to be honest. I'm in three star mode at the moment . . .but the length is an issue. If it were less than 400 pages, it definitely would make the three star cut, but not sure how I'm going to feel by the end. Hopefully better then I am feeling about it right now.

It feels like a contrived romance novel to me at the moment, with stilted dialogue. Made slightly more interesting by using fantastical characters, but still.

The NYC historical setting is the highlight for me so far.

Hope something happens to change my mind - - I really do!

Susie | 4488 comments Oh no Anita! I hope it gets better. I did find the second half to be a faster pace, so maybe?

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Susie wrote: "Oh no Anita! I hope it gets better. I did find the second half to be a faster pace, so maybe?"

Oh good - - fingers crossed!

Hahtoolah | 422 comments annapi wrote: "One of my favorite books!"

Mine too.

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Susie wrote: "Oh no Anita! I hope it gets better. I did find the second half to be a faster pace, so maybe?"

The pace is definitely picking up, and I'm enjoying it more now . . .glad you kept me going!

Susie | 4488 comments Hooray! :-)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments I loved this book. Hope you'll find something to enjoy about it!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5793 comments Only up to page 97 and I don't think I'll be able to finish it by Wednesday. But I AM enjoying it (though wishing the editor's red pencil was a little stronger / brighter).

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Book Concierge wrote: " (though wishing the editor's red pencil was a little stronger / brighter)."

Well said, and I agree.