What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF nanotechnology, information virus, spaceship chase, memory editing [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seán (new)

Seán Batt | 2 comments Read (and probably written) in the 90s, mass market paperback, science fiction. Don't remember the plot, just plot devices: there's a chase with space ships fighting each other with nano-info-viruses; there's a male spaceship captain who lives in a seven-second loop, resetting his mind to seven seconds ago to maintain concentration and banish boredom, another crew member seeks to hide some activity from the captain by doing it just as the captain's mind resets; same crew member is "sacrificed" after investigating an alien (?) installation, because she may have been infected by an information virus, though she is just recreated from a backup taken just before the missions, so the question is alluded to, was it any sacrifice?

The author had created a fascinating universe and I'd love to rediscover it, so thank you in advance to anyone who can send me in the right direction.

Sean

message 2: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jun 05, 2016 08:37AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments That's Vast by Linda Nagata. Which is book 3 of The Nanotech Succession. I highly recommend the first book The Bohr Maker, and in a kinda/maybe/sorta a prequel, Limit of Vision.

message 3: by Seán (new)

Seán Batt | 2 comments Fantastic! I'll look for Vast. You've made me very happy :-)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments You can mark this request as solved by clicking the 'edit' link next to the subject line / title, and then selecting one of the "Solved" folders. This will help save our moderators some time.

You should also change the subject line / title to start "SOLVED: [then your existing title]" which helps people still find your request later.

Solved requests are almost as important as unsolved requests (eg, so don't delete your info :D Otherwise it looks like this, which completely doesn't show how you generated *so* much interest for your book.