Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

The Secret Side of Empty
This topic is about The Secret Side of Empty
Read 4 Review #166 - The Secret Side of Empty (Closed)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marni (last edited Jun 12, 2014 08:56PM) (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments The group would like to welcome author Maria E. Andreu for a Read 4 Review of her book The Secret Side of Empty, a contemporary YA novel.

As a straight-A student with a budding romance and loyal best friend, M.T.’s life seems as apple-pie American as her blondish hair and pale skin. But M.T. hides two facts to the contrary: her full name of Monserrat Thalia and her status as an undocumented immigrant.

But it’s harder to hide now that M.T.’s a senior. Her school’s National Honor Society wants her to plan their trip abroad, her best friend won’t stop bugging her to get her driver’s license, and all everyone talks about is where they want to go to college. M.T. is pretty sure she can’t go to college, and with high school ending and her family life unraveling, she’s staring down a future that just seems empty. In the end, M.T. will need to trust herself and others to stake a claim in the life that she wants.

Author Maria E. Andreu draws from her personal experience as a (formerly) undocumented immigrant to explore an issue that affects over one million children in the U.S. But while the subject matter is timely, it is M.T.’s sharp, darkly funny voice and longing for a future that makes this story universally poignant.

338 pages

The author will be providing 10 copies in PDF format. To request, please just post your email address. It is your responsibility to check for the book and download it. It is also your responsibility to contact me immediately if you do not receive the book or have a problem. In exchange for the free book, the author requests an honest review of their book not just on Goodreads, but also on Amazon USA, UK, and any of your blogs or reviewing sites. Once you are finished with your review and have posted it on Goodreads, you are REQUIRED to post your Goodreads link to it on this thread.

Even though this book is being gifted to you please do not share it with anyone. It is unethical, disrespectful and illegal to share books provided to you for reviews.

Further Info from the group, not the author: If you do not complete the e-book within the time given, and you do not post your link on this thread or I do not hear from you stating that you intend to finish and review the book, you will not be allowed to participate in future Read 4 Review events. This is to prevent people from getting complimentary books over and over without fulfilling their obligation.

Do not message me nor the author requesting the book. All info is to be posted here. This is for the ease of the author and the mods and fairness to all. If you do not wish to share your email publicly, please do not request.

If there are any other authors looking to do this with our group, please message me. You MUST be willing to provide copies, free of charge, to the reviewers.

REVIEWERS: PLEASE read the topic titled "Reviewers." All the rules are listed under there. We will not allow any excuses of "I didn't know" because the rules are listed and if you have any questions you can always message me. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Links to find the book for posting reviews:

Amazon US: http://amzn.com/B00G1SD3CW

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G1SD3CW

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-s...

Deadline for review is 11:59pm EST on 06/05/14 (June 5th) This was moved from May 29th.

Reviewers:

Valeria: valechiappini@gmail.com COMPLETED
Jennifer: jdinorcia2@gmail.com DID NOT COMPLETE
Gabs: myfullbookshelfreviews@gmail.com COMPLETED

Valeria (vale_ck) I would love to Read & Review this one! It seems perfect for me!

My email is valechiappini@gmail.com

Thank you!! :)

Jennifer Duke (JenniferDuke) | 4 comments This sounds so interesting, I'd love to review this!
jdinorcia2@gmail.com

Gabs I'd love to read this one!
myfullbookshelfreviews@gmail.com

Valeria (vale_ck) Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I haven't received this book yet. I don't know if it's just me, but I wanted to bring it up since the deadline is getting closer. Thank you!

message 6: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments I messaged the author. Sorry!

Jennifer Duke (JenniferDuke) | 4 comments Yeah I still haven't received mine either, after I messaged you about it a few days ago. I keep checking my spam folder and making sure it's not getting flagged, but nothing.

message 8: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Jennifer...I didn't ignore your message, I messaged the author that day and today. If I don't hear back from the author by Sunday, I will be scrapping this R4R.

Jennifer Duke (JenniferDuke) | 4 comments Yeah that's what I meant (sorry, on phone!), that I got your message back but still hadn't heard from the author.

Valeria (vale_ck) Marni wrote: "I messaged the author. Sorry!"

Thank you Marni!

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria Andreu (maria_andreu) | 6 comments Hello, it's the author! Apologies for the delay. I have had back to back book promotion events and wasn't near my home computer, where I had the PDF. I have sent the PDF to each of you. Feel free to message me again if you haven't received it or have had any issues.

Thanks for signing up and for your patience.

Maria

message 12: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Maria wrote: "Hello, it's the author! Apologies for the delay. I have had back to back book promotion events and wasn't near my home computer, where I had the PDF. I have sent the PDF to each of you. Feel fr..."

Thanks Maria! Hope the events were successful for you!

Valeria (vale_ck) Maria wrote: "Hello, it's the author! Apologies for the delay. I have had back to back book promotion events and wasn't near my home computer, where I had the PDF. I have sent the PDF to each of you. Feel fr..."
I got my copy, thank you very much! I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria Andreu (maria_andreu) | 6 comments Great! Happy to hear that.

Gabs I got my copy too. Thanks!

message 16: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments New deadline is June 5th.

Jennifer Duke (JenniferDuke) | 4 comments Working on my review now - hopefully should be up tomorrow or Saturday! :D

Gabs Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Thank you for allowing me to read this!

message 19: by Maria (last edited May 23, 2014 03:06AM) (new)

Maria Andreu (maria_andreu) | 6 comments Gabs, what a beautiful review. Thank you. And what a fast reader you are!

message 20: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments 4 days until the deadline.

Valeria (vale_ck) Hey Marni, I was wondering if I could get an extension for this book. I'm really looking forward to it, but due to an overload of work I haven't been able to. One extra week is more than enough, because I'm finally getting stuff together. Is it possible?

message 22: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Valeria wrote: "Hey Marni, I was wondering if I could get an extension for this book. I'm really looking forward to it, but due to an overload of work I haven't been able to. One extra week is more than enough, be..."

Yep, extension granted until June 12th.

Valeria (vale_ck) Marni wrote: "Valeria wrote: "Hey Marni, I was wondering if I could get an extension for this book. I'm really looking forward to it, but due to an overload of work I haven't been able to. One extra week is more..."

Thank you very much!

message 24: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments 2 days until the deadline.

message 25: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments 4 1/2 hours until the deadline.

Valeria (vale_ck) Here are the links to my review. I wanted to thank the author again for the opportunity of reading her book. I really really enjoyed it. Very powerful and original. Plus, I loved the cover!

My Blog

Goodreads

Amazon

message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria Andreu (maria_andreu) | 6 comments Valeria, thanks for taking the time to read and post your review. And thanks for making it so thorough and honest!

Valeria (vale_ck) It was my pleasure. It is a great book :)

Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Side of Empty (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maria E. Andreu (other topics)