What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Man Who Awoke
This topic is about The Man Who Awoke
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SciFi - Man uses lead room for stasis sleep, wakes by xray lightbulb. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean (new)

Jean Robinson | 9 comments I think this short story was either in an anthology or in a magazine from the Golden Age (approx 1930-1960) of science fiction. A man decided "life" was animated by all the background radiation in the universe and that if he could block all radiation he could enter a stasis and thus travel into the future as a sleeper. So he made a lead-lined room ultra-proofed against radiation and did just that. What I remember most was that his wakeup system was a lightbulb that dosed him with xrays. I know that is not much but it is pretty unique. Hope someone else remembers this story.

message 2: by Andy (last edited Jun 12, 2016 09:14AM) (new)

Andy Love | 2036 comments The Man Who Awoke by Laurence Manning (this link has a detailed description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man...)

Goodreads link here The Man Who Awoke

You may have read this story in Asimov's collection "Before the Golden Age" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_...

Before the Golden Age: A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930s

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2036 comments Bump. Is the story "The Man Who Awoke"?

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2036 comments Bump.

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean Robinson | 9 comments Andy, YES! That is the book. And yes I think it was the anthology, I used to devour anything Asimov. Sorry you had to bump it twice, I lost track of this one ... been dealing with a family crisis and haven't had much time for leisure reading these past few months.

Thank you so much for helping me to identify this story!

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2036 comments Jean wrote: "Andy, YES! That is the book. And yes I think it was the anthology, I used to devour anything Asimov. Sorry you had to bump it twice, I lost track of this one ... been dealing with a family crisis a..."

You're very welcome. Wishing you and your family the best.