HRC Ravenclaw Common Room discussion

Random Reading Ramblings

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Salli (new)

Salli Thompson (sallift) | 72 comments Mod
Dare you to say that 5 times fast!

I didn't know where to put this comment. Feel free to comment on whatever you're currently reading here.

Anyway, I'm reading 'The Witches' by Stacy Schiff about the Salem Witch Trials and one guy gave 'evidence' that his wife must be a witch. The evidence? Their cat was acting odd.

So I think we can assume that either this guy hadn't spent much time observing cats or I am a witch!

message 2: by Devin (new)

Devin Waddell Babcock | 115 comments Mod
I'm reading "Winter's Tale" right now. It was made into a movie that came out on Valentine's Day a couple years ago. The writing is so pretty and poetic! I'm hooked and I'm only a few chapters in.

message 3: by Devin (new)

Devin Waddell Babcock | 115 comments Mod
I felt like this article was appropriate for our group: book recommendations according to your house.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/te...

message 4: by Marta (new)

Marta Youngblood | 9 comments And just like that all hope of doing anything but read all night is GONE. Just got "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America" by Colin Woodard in the mail today. I think this muggle book will serve to enhance the watching of Fantastic Beasts quite well...

message 5: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments Marta, I thought American Nations was fascinating! The author came to speak at my school a couple years ago and that's how I discovered it. I grew up in Cleveland, which he says is literally the borderline between two of the nations - and it makes total sense.

message 6: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments I recently discovered a new mystery series that I'm really enjoying - the Molly Murphy series by Rhys Bowen. It's set in turn-of-the-century NYC, one of my favorite historical periods! Just finished book #4, excited that there are at least 10 more to catch up on. :)

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 4 comments I feel like I always have the worst luck of finding a new series, falling in love and finishing all of the books in the next few days, and then coming to find out that there's one more book left and it won't come out for an entire year. Just fell in love with all of the shadowhunter series and now waiting on the next dark artifacts; absolutely entranced by a court of mist and fury and about cried when I found out how long I had to wait for the next; and now I'm finishing up the throne of glass series to realize Sarah J. Mass is still working on a fifth in that series as well.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Miller (enchantinglyemily) | 5 comments I most definitely am a witch by those standards.

Lauren BooksMcD (booksmcd) Didn't know where to put this comment, but this seemed like a good enough spot!

Just a general FYI that Emma Watson's Our Shared Shelf (A group dedicated to equality and Feminism) chose The Handmaid's Tale for their next read! Since we're reading it around the same time, it might be interesting to pop over there and see what some other people have to say/contribute to the discussion as well!

Thanks,
Lauren