Writer's Aid discussion

Writing > Software

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Garza | 1 comments Does anyone know of a good software for writing a book?

message 2: by ArielleLynn (new)

ArielleLynn I am absolutely in love with Scrivener! It's fantastic for organizing your book from start to finish. The features it has are absolutely unparalleled.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) i've been using openoffice, which works fine, but i'm thinking of trying markdown b/c i don't want to be locked into a specific file format plus plain text would make diffing a lot easier.

i just downloaded a book, Markdown for Writers (on Smashwords) (Markdown for Writers). the book states that nanomiwro writers have been using it.

it looks pretty promising. the storage format is plain text which means i'm not locked into a specific editor and you can diff it using a typical source control system (git, for example). they have free editors that export to html, rtf, epub, .mobi. you can split it into different files for ease of collaboration, modularity, more discrete source control, and even scripting. it's used widely in the open source software community (like github).

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Frediani Depends on what you're looking for.

I write in Windows Wordpad. It's a plain and simple program which handles rich text (italics, bold, etc.) I also have Open Office and MS Word Starter (a free, stripped version of Word).

I prefer Wordpad because there are less distractions while I'm writing. I can get "in that space" and not have to worry about page breaks, formatting, changing fonts and line spacings, etc., all of which interrupt the flow. Once the basic writing is done, I copy and paste into Word Starter or Open Office for things like spell and grammar check, word counts, and formatting page breaks. All my "master files" are in rich text files. Word Starter and Open Office can save in different formats (.doc, .docx, etc.) Word Starter will also convert to .pdf which IIRC Open Office does not (not without a plug in I think).

That said, everyone is different and will have different "requirements" and "comfort levels" when writing. One does stumble around a bit while finding what works and that's okay.

message 5: by Sanne (last edited Jun 13, 2016 03:25AM) (new)

Sanne (sanlily195) I usually write in Google Documents. I'm one of those people who always forgets to save their progress and with Google Docs you don't have to :P