The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.7 - SpiderMac's task: Get Your Run On!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:35AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10775 comments Mod
25.7 - SpiderMac's task: Get Your Run On!
I love summer! Although I normally opt to get away from crowds and get lost in nature, I also love going to local sporting events like triathlons. The energy in the air combined with the people I meet always inspires me and makes for a memorable day.

For this task, choose TWO different options and read a book for each.

Required: Identify the options when you post.

Option 1: Swim
Read a book with a swimmer on the cover. The swimmer should be a human or human-like creature who is in the water (ex. swimming or treading water), entering the water in some way (ex. diving), or has been in the water (ex. climbing out of a pool). For this option, sun bathers will not work. Ex:
On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1) by Sarah Porter Wake (Watersong, #1) by Amanda Hocking Poseidon’s Children (The Legacy of the Gods, #1) by Michael West Swimming in the Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai Diving In (Art & Coll, #1) by Kate Cann In the Deep End (Art & Coll, # 2) by Kate Cann
Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option 2: Bike
Read a book from the Best Cycling Books list.
Required: Include the page of the list where your book is found when you post.

Option 3: Run
Read a book with the word “run” in the title or subtitle. Any variation that preserves the meaning is fine (runner, runaway, running, etc).

Option 4: Sag wagon / volunteer
It's helpful to have a good sense of humor when you're part of a support team. For this option, read a book from the Funniest Novels of All Time list.
Required: Include the page of the list where your book is found when you post.

Option 5: Spectator
Read a nonfiction book about an athlete with main page genre "Biography," "Autobiography" or "Memoir." The book you choose does not have to be about a professional athlete but it does need to be clear that the person the book is about is a dedicated athlete. Genre may be stand-alone or embedded.
Ex: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami My Fight / Your Fight by Ronda Rousey Unstoppable From Underdog to Undefeated How I Became a Champion by Anthony Robles Devoted The Story of a Father's Love for His Son by Dick Hoyt Muhammad Ali His Life and Times by Thomas Hauser

Option 6: Hammock
Read a book where the first letter of each word in the title is found in “Sounds fun but I would rather chill with a good book”. The title of your book must contain three or more words. All words count but subtitles can be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear.
Required: Point out where the letters from the title can be found in the phrase when you post.
Ex: All the Light We Cannot See
A and T in rather
L and W in would
C in chill
S in sounds

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Jul 01, 2016 02:41PM) (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Approved

For option 1:
Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1) by K.A. Tucker The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown The Mermaid's Child by Jo Baker The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher Surfacing by Margaret Atwood Resorting to Murder Holiday Mysteries by Martin Edwards

For option 3:
Planesrunner (Everness #1) by Ian McDonald

For option 5:
You Are an Ironman How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon by Jacques Steinberg The Boys in the Boat Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown Quiet Strength The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy

message 3: by Cindy (last edited Jul 18, 2016 07:09PM) (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Not approved:

For option 1:
Kingfisher by Patricia A. McKillip The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1) by Melinda Salisbury

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10775 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments As a fellow triathlete - love this!!

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments How about You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon

It is NONFICTION, & a BIOGRAPHY, but it is about a group of non-professional athtetes who train for triathlons,(not just one person).

message 7: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments For Option 6:

The Life of Elves

Do articles and prepositions count as words?

T in raTher
L in chilL
O in sOunds
E in e in rathEr

Thanks!

message 8: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments My question is like Donna's, would you accept The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics for Opt 5 about a team of Olympic rowers?

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments Donna wrote: "How about You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon

It is NONFICTION, & a BIOGRAPHY, but it is about a group of n..."

not SpiderMac, but this is a fabulous book (and I ended up bawling by the end)

message 10: by Cindy (last edited Jun 06, 2016 09:45PM) (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Donna wrote: "How about You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon

It is NONFICTION, & a BIOGRAPHY, but it is about a group of n..."

I'm sorry to keep you waiting. I think that, even though your book is about a group of people, enough of each person's story is told to qualify it for the task. Your book looks great and is approved. Enjoy!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 6:

The Life of Elves

T in raTher
L in chilL
O in sOunds
E in e in rathEr

Thanks!"

Yes, you are totally good. Articles and prepositions do count as words. Enjoy!

message 12: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Cindy wrote: "Pia wrote: "For Option 6:

The Life of Elves

T in raTher
L in chilL
O in sOunds
E in e in rathEr

Thanks!"

Yes, you are totally good...."

Thanks!

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments KSMary wrote: "My question is like Donna's, would you accept The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics for Opt 5 about a team of Olympic rowers?"

From the description, it sounds like Boys in the Boat also tells of the individual rowers: "The emotional heart of the story lies with one rower, Joe Rantz," That's enough for me. Your book is approved. Have fun!

message 14: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2018 comments Would you accept Planesrunner for Option 3?

message 15: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Cindy wrote: "KSMary wrote: "My question is like Donna's, would you accept The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics for Opt 5 about a team of..."

Wonderful! Thank you!

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Coralie wrote: "Would you accept Planesrunner for Option 3?"

Yes, that's good for option 3. Enjoy!

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Dee wrote: "As a fellow triathlete - love this!!"

Thanks, Dee! ;-)

message 18: by Rochella (new)

Rochella (rosesbookgarden) | 101 comments Would Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison be okay for option 1?

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Rochella wrote: "Would Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison be okay for option 1?"

It looks to me like she's entered the water for a swim of some type so you're good to go, Rochella. ;-)

message 20: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2051 comments Will this work for Option 1?
Kingfisher by Patricia A. McKillip
Thanks!

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Deedee wrote: "Will this work for Option 1?
Thanks!"

This was a tough one, Deedee. It's a truly beautiful cover but it just doesn't look like water to me. I'm so sorry but it looks more like magic swirlies than water. I hope you can fit it into another task because it looks like a fun read.

message 22: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2051 comments Cindy wrote: "Deedee wrote: "Will this work for Option 1?
Thanks!"

This was a tough one, Deedee. It's a truly beautiful cover but it just doesn't look like water to me. I'm so ..."

I can fit it elsewhere -- thanks for replying so quick!

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1182 comments Would Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1) by K.A. Tucker work for Option 1?

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Would Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1) by K.A. Tucker work for Option 1?"

Yes, it works. Enjoy! :)

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments The Mermaid's Child by Jo Baker for swimmer in the water?

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3596 comments Does this work for Option 1 -
The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown
(There's actually a scene in the story where she falls into the river.)

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Dee wrote: "The Mermaid's Child by Jo Baker for swimmer in the water?"

Definitely works. Enjoy!

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Does this work for Option 1 -
The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown
(There's actually a scene in the story where she falls into the river.)"

Yes, it works for option one. Enjoy!

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Would this count for the swimming cover?
The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Also, while I'm here, would Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy count for option 5? It's a nonfiction book by Tony Dungy and has biography, autobiography & memoir as main page genres. He played in the NFL for a few years but is better known as an NFL coach. Would he still be considered an athlete for this option? I would count it, but just want to make sure you agree. Thanks!

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3596 comments I've read this before and won't re-read but if anyone is looking for a book for option 1
Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian (her hair is even wet!)

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Katie wrote: "Would this count for the swimming cover?
The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher"

I think this will work, Katie. Her feet are in the water so I'm good with it. :-)

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Katie wrote: "Also, while I'm here, would Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy count for option 5? It's a nonfiction book by Tony D..."

And this will definitely work for option 5. Enjoy!

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments Thanks Cindy!

message 35: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 29, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Will this work for Option 1? Surfacing by Margaret Atwood Surfacing

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Will this work for Option 1? Surfacing by Margaret Atwood Surfacing"

It took me a sec but, yes, it looks like she's in the water and you're good to go. Enjoy!

message 37: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Cindy wrote: "Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Will this work for Option 1? Surfacing by Margaret Atwood Surfacing"

It took me a sec but, yes, it looks like she's in the water and you're good to go. E..."

Thank you very much!

message 38: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments will this work for swimmers? little blobby swimmers in the middle distance....?
Resorting to Murder Holiday Mysteries (British Library Crime Classics) by Martin Edwards

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Catherine wrote: "will this work for swimmers? little blobby swimmers in the middle distance....?
Resorting to Murder Holiday Mysteries (British Library Crime Classics) by Martin Edwards"

Little blobby swimmers definitely count. You are good for option one. :)

message 40: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments Cindy wrote: "Catherine wrote: "will this work for swimmers? little blobby swimmers in the middle distance....?
Resorting to Murder Holiday Mysteries (British Library Crime Classics) by Martin Edwards"

Little blobby swimmers definitely cou..."

Thank you!

message 41: by Melanie (last edited Jul 18, 2016 03:53PM) (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Will this cover work for option 1?

The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1) by Melinda Salisbury

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Melanie wrote: "Will this cover work for option 1?

The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1) by Melinda Salisbury"

I'm so sorry, Melanie, but I am going to have to say no to this one. She doesn't seem to be in an open water situation. It seems more like she's trapped in a glass container with magic swirlies to me. I hope you can fit it in somewhere else.