Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's books list Read May 2016

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Six for the month, audio listening for the most part. Fool Me Once was print. I had been eager for both The Raven King and The Fireman, both excellent.
Devil's Bridge
The Raven King
Blood Defense
The Boston Girl
The Fireman
Fool Me Once
Fairstein, Linda Devil's Bridge audio on Overdrive finished 5/6/2016 Rank 8.75 of 10
Less legal case than usual, but quite good with plenty of NYC history and location details that vividly place the reader into the scenes. A favorite series and audio narrator in Barbara Rosenblat.

Stiefvater, Maggie The Raven King audio on Audible; finished 5/13/2016 Audible and Kindle Rank 9.55
I have loved each of the four books in turn, enthralled by the story and the magic and the emotions of these characters brought to vivid life through the voice of Will Patton. This book was a heart tugging and fitting conclusion. I need a print version too, to touch the magic on the pages

Clark, Marcia Blood Defense Audio on Audible 5/17/2016 Audio Kindle Audio Rank 8.5 of 10
I listened to the audio which was narrated by Tavia Gilbert who did a nice job. The story was not bad, not great, it held several surprises and was easy to listen to with an interesting legal/ investigation that held my interest. It's supposed to start a series. Not sure if I will follow it.

Diamant, Anita The Boston Girl audio on Overdrive finished 5/25/2016 on Audio rank 9.5 of 10
Very touching, I thoroughly enjoyed Linda Lavin's narration; she brings voices to the characters that feel authentic and real. My Grandmother's era, so I read with great interest about what life as a woman was like before so many rights we enjoy today were won

Hill, Joe The Fireman Audible audio finished 5/27/2016 Audible and Kindle Rank 9.5 of 10
I loved it. That's the important thing. The other important thing is to read this book, persevere, the reward is sometimes subtle, sometimes surprising, and as welcome as a truly satisfying story can deliver.

Coben, Harlan Fool Me Once print! Library finished 5/30/2016 print Rank 8.5
We don't have to like the characters in a book to read it, and we don't have to like the ending to say we've enjoyed the experience if knowledge and insight are a goal. Maya's difficulty transitioning to civilian life after her combat experiences and discharge makes her a sympathetic character, if not likable. The investigation into her husband's death she pursues and the lengths the powerful will go to to cover up things they don't want exposed are not necessarily pleasant, but are compelling to see to an end.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Good month, Ann! I really liked the first book in the Raven King series and didn't like the second one. I have the third one. Should get it read to see if I want to read the last one.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Great month Ann. I'm on the final chapter of The Fireman now, great summary. I just requested Home by Harlan Coben - will be glad to get back to Myron Bolitar. I could take or leave some of his stand alones, so it'll be interesting to see if I still love this series.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Nice month, Ann. Liking a book with less than likeable characters can be a challenge.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Dawn wrote: "Great month Ann. I'm on the final chapter of The Fireman now, great summary. I just requested Home by Harlan Coben - will be glad to get back to Myron Bolitar. I could take or leave some of his sta..."

I'm also anxiously awaiting HOME. Supposed to have a full cast of characters, including Esperanza and Big Cindy! I gave up on Harlan's stand alones a few books back.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Very good month Ann, I liked The Boston Girl very much and I enjoyed Fool me once.