Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Archive > Weekly topic for discussion - Are you using the Goodreads tools?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5441 comments Mod
I'm finding that there are many members of Goodreads that are unfamiliar with all of the tools available to help you keep track of your reading. For example, at least once a week I see a post where someone has read a book out of order because they didn't know how to access the series list.

Do you know how to:
1. Search a book and determine it's order in a series?
2. Set defaults on your bookshelves (To-Read, Read, etc.) so they are organized the way you'd like to view them?
3. Include images in your comments?
4. Customize the labels for your internet links?
5. Sort topics in a folder?

These are just a few that come to mind. If you're answering "no" to some or all of these, would it be helpful if we included a folder for Goodreads tips?

message 2: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa No, I don't know how to do: #1,2,4,5 and I wish #3 for animated gifts didn't exist.

So, yes, explanations on all would be helpful.

Thanks!

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 693 comments I don't know how to do 3,4 or 5. Any explanations would be great :)

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I would LOVE to see all those gifs in reviews go away, too.

message 5: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) Jonetta wrote: "I would LOVE to see all those gifs in reviews go away, too."

I'm with you on that! Emoticons is one thing, animated gifs are another animal altogether. (And yes to all questions in the initial post.)

message 6: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa I wish the book covers in posts were the size of those obnoxious animated gifs, and the gifs were the size of the present book covers...or even smaller...as in nonexistent! ;)

message 7: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Jonetta...I see an abbreviation used I'm not sure about.

Does OP = Original Poster or ??

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Where are you seeing this? I'm not sure. Anyone else know?

message 9: by Janeiowa (last edited May 09, 2014 08:26AM) (new)

Janeiowa In the Goodreads Feedback discussion on using page numbers instead of number of books.
Suggestions & Questions > Reading Challenge Turned to Pages Read Challenge

It's in a post near the end. I've seen it in other discussions there as well.

The more I think about it, the more I think it does mean Original Poster, as in referring back to the person who first asked the question/ made the comment.

I wish there was an FAQ or abbreviations list here somewhere.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

They have their own slang and acronyms in that group:)

message 11: by Janeiowa (last edited May 09, 2014 09:02AM) (new)

Janeiowa Yup, they sure do, but it is entertaining at times. :)

message 12: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I have seen "OP" used on other sites, and it does stand for "original poster."

message 13: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Thank You!

message 14: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Davis A folder for Goodreads tips would be good. And I dislike those GIFS in reviews too - it's just annoying.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I just figured out today that because I use the GoodReads app on my android phone, that tools as far as I know are not available to me. If I go to the Goodreads website online I have found that I am able to add links to the books I'm reading which is not something I'm able to do in the Goodreads app on my phone. I will be checking out what tools are available on the website.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

It's unfortunate that so many of the site's tools are unavailable on the app. Not sure if there are technical limitations preventing them from being added.

I'm out of town for Mother's Day but will set up the folder when I return. I'll add what I know and others are encouraged to add to it. I'll also add a topic for you to use for practice of some of the tips.

message 17: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Sounds great! Thank you.

I also have to learn to look inside each group and not just look at the four discussions that show on my homepage.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Have you checked your notification settings? You may want to revisit them.

message 19: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Thanks, I'll do that. I seem to get so many duplicates. I must have screwed it up somewhere! ;)