The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.10 - M1nks's task: Give Me Some Reds, Give Me Some Blues, Give Me Some... What the heck is THAT supposed to be!?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 09, 2016 05:34PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10784 comments Mod
25.10 - M1nks's task: Give Me Some Reds, Give Me Some Blues, Give Me Some... What the heck is THAT supposed to be!?

This is a TWO book task. Abstract art follows few rules so, for this task, make your choice of any combination of tasks, doubling up if you wish. Graphic novels and other sequential art books are allowed so long as they conform to standard SRC rules.

Required: State the options you chose when you post.

1. The Abstract Art period is not my favourite art era but it's often useful to brighten up a bland and boring room. Read a book that has a cover showing a vibrant and colourful room. The cover should show brightly coloured walls, rugs, furniture and/or decorations to be considered a colorful room. Ex:
Grilled For Murder by Maddie Day Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7) by Sally Goldenbaum No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4) by Madelyn Alt The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
Required: Post the cover.

2. Abstract Art can really be anything that you want it to be, and frankly, your guess is as good as the next persons...

For this task, choose a painting from: Famous Abstract Art. Read a book with a title which you think would make a good name for the painting.
Ex: Composition VIII could be named Flatland because there appears to be a flattened cityscape on it.
Required: Include the real name of the painting that provided the inspiration for your title and explain how the title fits the painting when you post.

3. Abstract art represents the world in a way which doesn't conform how we usually view reality. Read a book with the "Dystopia" or "Magical Realism" as a main-page genre. Genres may be stand-alone or embedded.

4. Personally I think some abstract art is crazy and people are even crazier for buying it; but there have been many artists who have genuinely struggled with their mental health.

For this task read a book about mental health or read a book which has a character who is struggling with mental health issues. Ex: Highly Illogical Behavior; Imagine Me Gone; All the Bright Places; Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things; Finding Audrey; Manic: A Memoir
Required: If it is not obvious from the GR description, explain how the book fits the task in your post.

message 3: by Nicola (last edited Aug 29, 2016 02:50PM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Now That's Just Crazy...

1: Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix ;

4: Death Wore Brown Shorts

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10784 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments These three covers are the closest I could find in my collection to what your task requires. Are any of them approvable?

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2) by Betty Hechtman

message 6: by Tien (last edited Jun 07, 2016 08:02PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1373 comments For option 1, does purple wallpaper work?

Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire

OR, colorfull wall rug (is that what you call that thing on the left side of cover) and red armchair?

Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) by Robyn Carr

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Is this a bright enough room?

I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson

message 8: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Would this pairings work? I don't know if I'm pushing it too far, but I agree with you that with abstract art, almost anything is what we want it to be.

Painting:
Going for a Walk
The Anonymous Man by Vincent L. Scarsella

The man is all covered up, before a walk in the cold

Painting: Four Darks in Red
The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay
4 books in a red background

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Pia wrote: "Would this pairings work? I don't know if I'm pushing it too far, but I agree with you that with abstract art, almost anything is what we want it to be.

Painting:
Going for a Walk
[bookcover:The ..."

Hi Pia - that option is for the name of the book matching the painting - being an alternative title for the chosen art. It's not the cover of the book that needs to match, it's the title.

So if you think the two titles match then that is what you need to post with your explanation as to why.

message 10: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Is this a bright enough room?

I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson"

Yes

message 11: by Nicola (last edited Jun 08, 2016 05:03AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Tien wrote: "For option 1, does purple wallpaper work?

Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire

OR, colorfull wall rug (is that what you call that thing on the left side of cover) and red armchair?

[bookcover:shelter m..."

The second one is a little iffy, but as the walls and floors aren't white but are a goldie brown and there are some colourful items in the room plus a bright fire I'm ok with both of your choices.

message 12: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Suzanne wrote: "These three covers are the closest I could find in my collection to what your task requires. Are any of them approvable?

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix [bookcover:Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal S..."

Not the first one but the other two are fine.

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Nicola wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Is this a bright enough room?

I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson"

Yes"

Thank you!

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Nicola wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "These three covers are the closest I could find in my collection to what your task requires. Are any of them approvable?

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix [bookcover:Angus, Thongs an..."

Thank you!

message 16: by Nicola (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Terri FL wrote: "Would this be acceptable for option 4, about mental health?

[book:The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recover..."

Yes, I think that book would be ok.

message 17: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Nicola wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "Would this be acceptable for option 4, about mental health?

[book:The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Mad..."

Thanks!

message 18: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Nicola wrote: "Pia wrote: "Would this pairings work? I don't know if I'm pushing it too far, but I agree with you that with abstract art, almost anything is what we want it to be.

Painting:
Going for a Walk
[bo..."

I knew I shouldn't be trying to understand a task after a 6 hour long meeting at work.
I'll try again, as my books don't fit. I matched them the wrong way.
Thanks Nicola!

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3606 comments Some clarification please.

Option 2 - Not all the paintings have titles (e.g. the Kenneth Noland painting ... multi-colored chevrons?)
And to be sure I understand ... the TITLE of the BOOK we read, should somehow relate to the IMAGE of the PAINTING. (Do I have that right?)

Option 3 - I think the genre is "MagicAL realism" (not "magic realism)

message 20: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jun 08, 2016 03:15PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments for option 1 "Grilled for Murder" was suggested. Could I read the first book in that series? Flipped for Murder by Maddie Day

message 21: by Deedee (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:58PM) (new)

Deedee | 2054 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Some clarification please.

Option 3 - I think the genre is "MagicAL realism" (not "magic realism) ..."

I have that question also -- I have several books that have genre
magical realism but not magic realism

message 22: by Deedee (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:13PM) (new)

Deedee | 2054 comments Just checking .....
For Option 2:
Composition IV, 1911 Wassily Kandinsky
Looks to me like a woman who had been lying on her back and is now in the process of sitting/standing up. So ....
Coming Up for Air

Does this work? Thanks!

message 23: by Deedee (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:29PM) (new)

Deedee | 2054 comments Here's another one for Option 2:
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, Pablo Picasso
Several women, none of whom look happy or content:
A Monstrous Regiment of Women
or
Dangerous Women

message 24: by Nicola (last edited Jun 09, 2016 04:34AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Some clarification please.

Option 2 - Not all the paintings have titles.

I know, that poor painting! Its parents obviously didn't love it :-( Get it a decent name quick!

And to be sure I understand ... the TITLE of the BOOK we read, should somehow relate to the IMAGE of the PAINTING. (Do I have that right?)

You do.

Option 3 - I think the genre is "MagicAL realism" (not "magic realism)

Yes it's a spelling mistake and should be magical realism.

message 25: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "for option 1 "Grilled for Murder" was suggested. Could I read the first book in that series? Flipped for Murder by Maddie Day"

It's the room that matters and that is definitely a brightly coloured room so it works.

message 26: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Deedee wrote: "Just checking .....
For Option 2:
Composition IV, 1911 Wassily Kandinsky
Looks to me like a woman who had been lying on her back and is now in the process of sitting/standing up. So ....
[book:Comi..."

Definitely a better name than 'Composition IV'. It's like he didn't even try...

message 27: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Deedee wrote: "Here's another one for Option 2:
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, Pablo Picasso
Several women, none of whom look happy or content:
A Monstrous Regiment of Women
or
[book:Dangerous Women|172..."

Both names are good.

message 28: by Kim (new)

Kim | 626 comments Do either of these work for option 1?

On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3) by Cleo Coyle

Thank you.

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Would a book dealing with trying to figure out why her friend committed suicide work for mental health? I Was Here

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments May I please get The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1) by Richelle Mead verified for main page genre "Dystopia"? Thanks!

message 31: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Kim wrote: "Do either of these work for option 1?

On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3) by Cleo Coyle

Thank you."

Yes, I will accept either of those two covers.

message 32: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Dee wrote: "Would a book dealing with trying to figure out why her friend committed suicide work for mental health? I Was Here"

It would depend on the reasons for the suicide. If it was depression or similar (which it seems to be) then it would.

message 33: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Kim wrote: "May I please get The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1) by Richelle Mead verified for main page genre "Dystopia"? Thanks!"

This is currently not showing.

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments Grrr... OK. I'll see if it comes back and I can send it again.

message 35: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Kim wrote: "Grrr... OK. I'll see if it comes back and I can send it again."

I'll keep checking it as well.

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments Hi there,

Can I get Unwind verified for the genre 'Dystopia' in option 3?

message 37: by Kim (last edited Jun 12, 2016 07:51PM) (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments Nicola wrote: "Kim wrote: "Grrr... OK. I'll see if it comes back and I can send it again."

I'll keep checking it as well."

Oh! Oh! Check The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1) by Richelle Mead again! It's there!!!

message 38: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Would this be acceptable for Option 1

Die Job by Lila Dare

message 39: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Kim wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Kim wrote: "Grrr... OK. I'll see if it comes back and I can send it again."

I'll keep checking it as well."

Oh! Oh! Check The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1) by Richelle Mead again! It's ther..."

No sorry :-( You can always try to get it verified on the Genre Verification Thread as well. I'm not online every day.

message 40: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Donna wrote: "Hi there,

Can I get Unwind verified for the genre 'Dystopia' in option 3?"

Sure. Although I don't that that is going to drop off :-)

message 41: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Wanda wrote: "Would this be acceptable for Option 1

Die Job by Lila Dare"

Absolutely. Paint explosion.

message 42: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Nicola wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Would this be acceptable for Option 1

Die Job by Lila Dare"

Absolutely. Paint explosion."

Thanks and I agree with Paint explosion!

message 43: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Nicola wrote: "Kim wrote: "May I please get The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1) by Richelle Mead verified for main page genre "Dystopia"? Thanks!"

This is currently not showing."

Verified for Dystopia :-)

message 44: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments Thanks!!!

message 45: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Nicola- Is this acceptable for option 1?

Magic and Macaroons (Magical Bakery Mystery, #5) by Bailey Cates

message 46: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Jonquil wrote: "Nicola- Is this acceptable for option 1?

Magic and Macaroons (Magical Bakery Mystery, #5) by Bailey Cates"

I'll accept that.

message 47: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Nicola wrote: "Jonquil wrote: "Nicola- Is this acceptable for option 1?

Magic and Macaroons (Magical Bakery Mystery, #5) by Bailey Cates"

I'll accept that."

Thank you!

message 48: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2435 comments Just wondering. is this colorful enough for Option 1? I see a jolly carpet and some orange and green fittings.
A Whisker of Trouble (Second Chance Cat Mystery #3) by Sofie Ryan

message 49: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Is this room brightly colored enough? Winterton Blue by Trezza Azzopardi

Thanks.

message 50: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 654 comments Would this count as a brightly colored room?

Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters Mystery, #1) by Anne George

« previous 1