Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Removing false information from blurbs?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments So, this is an unusual situation and I apologize if its already posted somewhere else.

A friend of mine posted a question and it popped up in my feed:

An author apparently updated their book blurb with *Winner of the 2016 National Book Award for Best Science Fiction* as the first thing a reader sees.

The problem? The National Book Award does NOT offer an award for specifically for Science Fiction. Nor has the 2016 Awards process completed yet.

There are four panels of five Judges each in the categories of Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, and Young People's Literature, each including a Chairperson chosen by the National Book Foundation.

The Foundation will announce Longlists of ten books in each category in mid-September.

The Foundation will announce the twenty Finalist books, five in each category, on October 12, 2016.

One Winner in each category will be announced at the National Book Awards Ceremony and Benefit Dinner on November 16, 2016.

Each Winner will receive a prize of $10,000 each. Each Finalist will receive a prize of $1,000 each.

I also checked all the Fiction awardees that were genre: Science Fiction and still could not locate the book nor the author (book published 18-Feb-2016).

May I remove this misleading statement from the blurb?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41678 comments Mod
Yes.

I suggest including a change comment.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments rivka wrote: "Yes.

I suggest including a change comment."

Thank you and done.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16287 comments I didn't think that sort of thing was supposed to be in the description anyway.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13560 comments I believe it is allowed to mention awards in descriptions.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

lethe wrote: "I believe it is allowed to mention awards in descriptions."

It is -- assuming the information is accurate.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13560 comments rivka wrote: "lethe wrote: "I believe it is allowed to mention awards in descriptions."

It is -- assuming the information is accurate."

Of course! :) It was just a general reply to Scott.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I was backing you up.