Audiobooks discussion

Announcements > New Goodreads home page

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments You may not have noticed this, but Goodreads is changing its home page. There is currently a beta test of the new page which can be reached by clicking on "new site design" at the bottom of every page. To return to the old design click on "old design" which is near the bottom of the right hand column (if your screen shows 3 columns) or the left hand column (if your screen shows 2 columns). The changes are explained in the GR blog, but GR took down the banner announcement for the beta test that was up for a few days. If you want to leave feedback on the new page there is a green feedback button on the right of the new page. Also see this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Yup, I saw the blog and switched over. I like the new change.

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments You do?
I hate it. Images are too big and there's too much scrolling.

message 4: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited Jun 03, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 53 comments I miss the Discussion updates from the old page... I switched back after a bit. I did send an email asking that they put the updates for Discussions on the new page.

message 5: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments ❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "I miss the Discussion updates from the old page... I switched back after a bit. I did send an email asking that they put the updates for Discussions on the new page."

It was just a partial mock-up of their design.

Discussions (and other missing features) will be on the finished product.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments Again? Good grief, these people like to futz around.

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 53 comments Melanti wrote: "It was just a partial mock-up of their design.

Discussions (and other missing features) will be on the finished product.
".."

That's good to know.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 145 comments its way to busy

message 9: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments It seems I am always in the minority here :-)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1520 comments i wish they would stop focusing on design changes and, oh, i dunno, figure out how to give us re-reads

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) | 519 comments Grumpus wrote: "It seems I am always in the minority here :-)"

I liked it too, so I guess that makes two us. Everything that I look at was on the page. I did notice that my bookshelves were not there, but I never look at them on the home page anyway.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 449 comments Not a fan, & already switched back again.

I have no problem with them adding new features, but why move everything around just for the hell of it?
OK, so they want to make pictures bigger or change a font, that isn't a big deal, but why move "currently reading" from the right side to the left...leave it on the right and add the other new stuff on the left.
I just don't see the logic in making everything different, if the same feature is staying, then leave it in the same place as before and put the 'new' thing in the previously empty space.

I think people would be less upset by the changes if they were more logical about it and it didn't look like they metaphorically tossed everything into the air and kept it wherever it happened to land.

message 13: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments The thing that I hate most about it is that only one to one and a half updates fit onto a screen at a time, so there's tons and tons of scrolling.

And, yes, I tend to think it's more about selling books too.

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | -7 comments I like it. I don't spend a lot of time on the home page so I didn't mind them moving things.

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1121 comments I have three columns. I don't like it because you end up having one very long column in the middle with blank spaces on both the right and left sides. Seems silly to me. Bad use of space.

Are we allowed to choose, to remain with the old page forever? If not one might as well just get used to it.

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I really like the new homepage but I also was happy with the old one
I wish they would fix the Android app it is appsolutely terrible and needs to be fixed

message 17: by Jessica (last edited Jun 06, 2016 04:22PM) (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) | 519 comments I don't use the android app at all. It totally sucks. I use Google Chrome for Android to access the whole website.

When I click on the link for the new home page I only have two columns. The one on the left has my currently reading books and my counter for my 2016 reading challenge. The column on the right has books that my friends are currently reading, and it is long. It goes on forever. I scrolled for ten minutes the other night and never reached the bottom.

I have no center column.

Edit: The above was true for yesterday. Today I went there, just a few minutes ago, and I now have three columns. The books my friends are reading is in the center column now. Still no discussions or anything on it though.

message 18: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments The feed is now a continuous scroll. Whether you have 2 or 3 columns depends on size of screen.

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments Dee wrote: "i wish they would stop focusing on design changes and, oh, i dunno, figure out how to give us re-reads"

Add to that list a better search function. I haven't tried the new page and won't until they force the change. Hopefully, they will have added the discussion back in by then.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Melanti wrote: "The thing that I hate most about it is that only one to one and a half updates fit onto a screen at a time, so there's tons and tons of scrolling.

And, yes, I tend to think it's more about selling..."

And did they think about the fact that not everyone in the world has an internet connection which can handle all the images?

We are readers -- I would like more text and less pictures!

message 21: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments As a reminder for everyone, the dev team isn't paying attention to the forums - not even the official feedback forum.

So, submit any praises and/or complaints on the feedback link on the right hand side of the page to have any shot of your voice being heard.

message 22: by tubemonkey (new)

tubemonkey | 94 comments I never visit the home page, so I don't care one way or the other about the change. The only group I view and participate in is this one -- Audiobooks Group.

message 23: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments On the notice I saw, there was an option to change back to the old view, though I don't remember how. I don't have a strong opinion about the home page as I always start on the Groups page. But it seems similar to Audible website changes, making stuff bigger and less of it on a page. I really dislike the app view, in fact I don't like apps of any website, i want to see exactly the same thing on my tablet or phone that I see on my computer.

message 24: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments There's a link to the old version of the page under one of the columns. Right hand column if you have 3 columns, left hand column if you only have 2.

message 25: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments ❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "I miss the Discussion updates from the old page... I switched back after a bit. I did send an email asking that they put the updates for Discussions on the new page."

The Feedback forum just released an update and clarified that they are NOT going to add discussions back to the homepage.

They are moving them to an entirely separate page - accessible only via the profile drop down menu. (Currently visible under your profile icon in the upper right, then via "My discussions".)

I HATE that this will be so hidden, and am hoping that they will be willing to add a link as a main item in the top menu (Perhaps between Home and My Books).

If the group discussions page is important to any of you, you might want to leave some feedback via the new homepage widget or go into the official feed back group and tell them so.

message 26: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Just got the new home page. Two words: hot mess. Wow. It's so busy I can't find anything. And Melanti, I also HATE that the discussions are hidden. I guess I'll just stick with monitoring GR on my mobile app (until they decide to "improve" that, too). Grrrr....

message 27: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Kristie wrote: "Just got the new home page. Two words: hot mess. Wow. It's so busy I can't find anything. And Melanti, I also HATE that the discussions are hidden. I guess I'll just stick with monitoring GR on my ..."

Agree!! Agree!! Agree!! Please leave the mobile app alone ! Ugh can I please have my old homepage back!!??!!

message 28: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments Make sure to take the survey and tell them what you think.

The questions have changed since the Beta test and the new questions are very centered around the discussions tab, so for anyone who wants it back, participate in the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MWN8LVZ

message 29: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments I took the survey but I'm pretty sure they don't care what I think.

message 30: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Melanti wrote: "Make sure to take the survey and tell them what you think.

The questions have changed since the Beta test and the new questions are very centered around the discussions tab, so for anyone who wan..."

Thank you, Melanti. I just took the survey.

message 31: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments Faith wrote: "I took the survey but I'm pretty sure they don't care what I think."

I doubt they care what we think about the layout... I'm sure that's here to stay.

It's possible that they might bring back the discussions tab, though, or at least give it a more prominent link in the menu bar.

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 66 comments I keep pressing the home button. AARGH

message 33: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Melanti wrote: "Make sure to take the survey and tell them what you think.

The questions have changed since the Beta test and the new questions are very centered around the discussions tab, so for anyone who wan..."

I took the survey. I hope if enough people complain they'll put the discussions tab back on the home page.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Just in case there are people like me who constantly use the Discussion page -- it can now be found under the Community tab on the new website. I have taken the survey and hope that the Discussion page makes it back to the homepage but at least it is not completely gone...

message 35: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments You can also get to the discussions page by clicking on your avatar and then selecting my discussions. Once you get there you can bookmark the page.

message 36: by Jan (new)

Jan | 431 comments Yes, I have bookmarked My Discussions from hovering over my avatar and use it instead of the home page. It took me a day or two to figure that out when they changed mine and I was a bit frantic until I found it.

message 37: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Faith wrote: "You can also get to the discussions page by clicking on your avatar and then selecting my discussions. Once you get there you can bookmark the page."

Thank you! This helps. I still think the new home page is too busy and want my discussion link back. but this does help.

message 38: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments I don't like that so much room is taken by "Currently Reading" and "Want to Read". I never use the Currently Reading, and I have dozens of items on my TBR list so showing me a few of them is of no value. If I want to see them I'll go to that list.

message 39: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments When they were doing the beta, they implied we'd be able to customize what what shelf shows in the "want to read" area. So you could make a "Up next" or "Read this soon" type shelf and put it in that area for easy access.

They obviously haven't followed through on that promise.

GR has been trying to get everyone to use the "Want to Read" shelf for a Wishlist or "Want to Buy" shelf, so I guess they think having your shopping list as part of your home page will make you more prone to buying stuff.

message 40: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Melanti wrote: "GR has been trying to get everyone to use the "Want to Read" shelf for a Wishlist or "Want to Buy" shelf, so I guess they think having your shopping list as part of your home page will make you more prone to buying stuff."

Yeah, it is for that reason, that I have not been adding books to my wish-list on GR. I'm sure that not doing so, is part of the reason that I have not won anything on First Read for quite some time now. I keep a to-read list in an Excel spreadsheet.

message 41: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 49 comments Grumpus wrote: "It seems I am always in the minority here :-)"

I like it! But is it 2 different designs, one for Desktop view and one for mobile? I just switched to the mobile view on my phone and didn't like the look. So I use desktop view on my phone.

message 42: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 424 comments Mmm, my to read is only books I alredy bought (so I must read ;)

My wish list is another shelf; I do it my way (as always).

message 43: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments Specs wrote: "Mmm, my to read is only books I alredy bought (so I must read ;)

My wish list is another shelf; I do it my way (as always)."

I use my shelves the same way.