MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

General Chat > Random Challenge Questions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments So, anthologies.

How do we work anthologies?? I've a shitton of them and I try to read through them occasionally. Most of the time I count the number of reviews I write vs the number of stories.

EX: The Other Half of the Sky
Series page: http://bookslifewine.com/reviews/seri...

This book has 14? stories but I broke it down into 4 review posts. So this book (for me) = 4 books.

What do you think? 440+pages

message 2: by HomeInMyShoes (last edited Jun 03, 2016 07:55AM) (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2602 comments Depends on the anthology for me. Some I keep together, but most I split into the individual stories. 14 at 440 pages is more like a collection of short stories than anything else for me.

Probably be one book for me.

I do have anthologies like: The Short Novels of John Steinbeck and Myths of Origin where I have been reviewing each title separately, but all these stories are out there published as novellas individually and they are all 100+ pages.

These are also books I am not consuming in one go. I read one title from them every year or so. From a temporal aspect it makes sense to review the titles separately. I also don't mark these anthologies in my reads, just the individual novellas.

message 3: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1088 comments I would do it however it feels right for you. I think, in your case, breaking it down by review is works well, especially since you're also doing a review challenge, right?

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "I would do it however it feels right for you. I think, in your case, breaking it down by review is works well, especially since you're also doing a review challenge, right?"

Yup. I'm doing a review challenge, too.

You know, I think I'm going to leave them split by review since it's easier at this point, lol.

I have been thinking about the page count = 440 or so equals about 110 per "set" so it sorta breaks down into novella length.

Honestly, I've enjoyed this anthology more than most of them - there's not any super good stuff but every "grouping" had something that gave me something to think about.

message 5: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2602 comments I like that. Something to think about.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "I like that. Something to think about."

Honestly, I was surprised. There was some good stuff here - shorts that have connections to political unrest, racism, colonialism, etc. There's minor diversions on sexuality. There's some good stuff here.

There's also some terrible stuff, lol. Including one that has a portal that's a door. But somehow the damn door has to have an "in" door and an "out" door. And it somehow also managed to become a time machine.

message 7: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1088 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "There's also some terrible stuff, lol. Including one that has a portal that's a door. But somehow the damn door has to have an "in" door and an "out" door. And it somehow also managed to become a time machine. "

Good lord. That's the kind of stuff I come up with when I'm drunk.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments IKR??