Play Book Tag discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
June, 2016: Fantasy > An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir -- 4 stars + ♥

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 02, 2016 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
4 stars + ♥

Man, this book was engaging! I whipped through the audio in record time (and at normal speed) and could not wait to hear what happened next!

Laia is a scholar girl living with her grandparents and brother. Life is not perfect seeing as they live under the oppressive rule of the Marshalls, who are violent and unforgiving, but at least they are free people. That is until the Marshalls raid her family home and capture her brother. Only the rebel faction can save him from prison but they require payment from Laia, she must pose as a slave to serve the Commandant of Black Cliff, the school that trains the Marshall warriors.

Elias is the top student at Black Cliff. He has been in training for 14 years to be a ruthless killer in support of the Empire. But, he knows in his heart it is wrong. Each kill he completes weighs on his conscious and he hates the way the scholar slaves that serve the school are treated. When he is offered a way to free himself he jumps at the chance without thinking of the consequences.

This book is definitely not epic fantasy and it falls well short of the complex world and narrative created by Tolkien and Martin; in fact, I think this may be YA and I didn't realize it. Not the over-the-top love-of-my-life kind of YA but just the age of the characters, how they react to situations, and, okay, maybe some crushes.

But it pulled me right in from page one and never let go. The story was fast-paced, the characters were interesting, there were some surprising twists and turns, and it left me with several theories that I cannot wait to see whether they are true.

Perhaps my favorite was Laia. I feel like so many main female characters in YA books fall hopelessly in love and lose themselves in some guy. That was not Laia. She has a mission, she stays focused on that, she grows and learns about herself, and she saves the guy just as much as he saves her. I loved it.

If you are still trying to decide what to read this month, then I highly recommend picking up An Ember in the Ashes. As an added bonus, the sequel A Torch Against the Night comes out in late August so you won't have to wait long to read the conclusion of the story!

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Nicole wrote: "An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
4 stars + ♥

Man, this book was engaging! I whipped through the audio in record time (and at normal speed) and could not wait t..."

Great! I had an email from the library telling me my hold on Embers was available. I'm in the last hour of my current audio book so should be good to go sometime tomorrow! So glad you loved it!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments Nicole wrote: "An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
4 stars + ♥

Man, this book was engaging! I whipped through the audio in record time (and at normal speed) and could not wait t..."

I really liked this one when I read it last year and it ended up being in my 2015 Top Ten. I'm preordering the next one.

message 4: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments Ooh sounds like a good one for pulling a person out of a slump!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments Nicole wrote: "An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
4 stars + ♥

Yes, our libraries have it shelved in YA. Unfortunately our libraries also don't have it in audio and I love audio! I just can't bring myself to buy books when I have a great public library system that (usually) has everything I need or want.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Thanks for the info about it being YA, Barbara. I guess I missed that fact. Not that it matters to me!

Do you have audible? I believe I can give books to people now and I would be THRILLED to share this one with you if you like.

annapi | 4850 comments Oh no, another one for my TBR!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Annapi, I think you will really like it!!

message 9: by Ladyslott (last edited Jun 04, 2016 04:30PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole wrote: "Thanks for the info about it being YA, Barbara. I guess I missed that fact. Not that it matters to me!

Do you have audible? I believe I can give books to people now and I would be THRILLED to shar..."

You cannot send a book to the same person twice. So unfortunately you and I who read a lot of the same books cannot do it more than once. If you do accept a book from this feature you cannot get another one from anyone else.

From the website:

What is Audible Send this Book?

The best book recommendations often come from the people who know us best. With that in mind, Send this Book is a feature that allows you to give the experience of a great listen to the people in your life.

Send this Book allows you to send the audiobooks in your library to friends and family. It is free for you to send. And if it is your recipient's first time accepting an audiobook through this feature, it will be free for her/him. Members and non-members can redeem titles and once redeemed, can send that book to others using Send this Book.

Simply tap Send this Book from your library or app, choose the method to send the title and enter the recipients' information.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments Nicole wrote: "Thanks for the info about it being YA, Barbara. I guess I missed that fact. Not that it matters to me!

Do you have audible? I believe I can give books to people now and I would be THRILLED to shar..."

I would love to have this in audio if we can figure it out. I have the audible app and I've listened to one they offered as a freebie.

message 11: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I bought this a couple months ago. Perhaps if I finish The Name of the Wind, I can get to it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Barbara, send me a message with your personal email and I will see if I can figure it out!

Tricia Nociti I'm listening to the audio version of this also. Started this morning and am loving it! Engaging is exactly right. I'm about 1/4 of the way in and am feeling some overused themes but it's not detracting too much from my enjoyment. At this point I could see it being a 4 star book for me as well. Glad I saw the rec in this group!