The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.9 - Fandury's task: Everything is Possible in Love and Warcraft

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 04, 2016 03:52PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
25.9 - Fandury's task: Everything is Possible in Love and Warcraft

I always loved reading, and I spend a great part of my free time sitting in my reading chair with a book in my hand.

But besides reading I also always loved to play games on my computer. Over the years no game managed to hold my attention and brought more fun and new people in my life than World of Warcraft, a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, where you always play together with other players. So for this task I will give you a first introduction to Warcraft and the world of Azeroth.

This is a two book task. Choose two different options below and read a book for each.

Required: Identify the options you chose when you post.

Option 1: Factions The main aspect and the first decision you have to make when starting the game is if you want to play on the side of the Horde or the Alliance. As the name of the game implies, this is a world ravaged by war between these two factions.

Read a book with the main page genre of War. The genre may stand alone or be embedded.

Option 2: Race Next you have to decide what race you want to play in the game. If your Faction is the Alliance, you can choose between Human, Dwarf, Nightelf, Gnome, Draenei or Worgen. For players on the side of the Horde, the available races are Orc, Troll, Tauren, Forsaken, Blood Elf or Goblin.

For this option, read a book with a cover that shows at least two persons, that have a obvious difference in race or ethnicity. It can be two humans of different ethnic origin, or different races in case of fantasy or science fiction books (elves, mermaids, dwarfs, aliens etc.). The two persons have to be humanoid, so no dragons, space bugs or other magical animals.
Ex: Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2) by Myke Cole Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2) by Derek Landy Under the Moon of Mars by John Joseph Adams Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars Empire and Rebellion) by James S.A. Corey Life on the Color Line The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black by Gregory Howard Williams Living Violet (The Cambion Chronicles, #1) by Jaime Reed The Secret Life of Winnie Cox Slavery, forbidden love and tragedy by Sharon Maas Gravitational Attraction by Angel Martinez A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory
Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option 3: Class In the game you have to choose a class, a kind of profession, for your character. While there are many different classes, you can sort them into three different categories:

1. Tanks who are sturdy and can take a lot of damage. They are always at the front and try to hold the attention of deadly creatures you want to beat in the game.
2. Damage Dealers who, as the name implies, are responsible for doing damage to the opponents.
3. Healers who try to heal all persons in the group and see that none of the characters die or can revive characters if the healing did not help.

While there is a lot of things you can do alone in the game, for the more complicated missions you need players of all three categories to beat the monsters and fulfill the missions.

As World Of Warcraft is a cooperative game where you have to work together with other people, read a book from the Different Perspective Books list or The Best Books That Change Narrators Every Chapter list.

Required: Identify which list and, if the list has multiple pages, which page your book can be found on when you post.

Option 4: The World The main world in World of Warcraft is called Azeroth. In the beginning there existed only two great continents: Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Over the years new continents, islands and even new worlds have been added, but at the core there are still these two.

For this option read a book that is set in at least 2 different primary countries for significant portions of the book. More than one location must play a major role in the book and significant plot events must take place in each country.
Required: State the countries the book is set in and, if it is not clear from the GR description, explain how the book fits the task in your post.

Option 5: The Film After years of talk the Warcraft film is finally in the cinemas. As a fan, I went to see it in the midnight premiere together with a lot of people I met and play with in the game. We had a lot of fun and a great time with the movie, even so some things in the movie happened in a different way than in the games. Blizzard Entertainment has till now published three strategy games and the MMORPG World of Warcraft set in the same universe on the planet Azeroth, so there is a lot or lore and back story they could use for this movie (and for the sequels that will probably follow).

For this option, read a book that has been turned into a movie or read one of the Warcraft novels that Blizzard published to accompany the game. If choosing the movie option, the movie must be a theatrical release, no television mini-series.

Required: If you choose the movie option, link to the movie on IMDB.

message 2: by Fandury (last edited Aug 14, 2016 01:30AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Works

Option 1:
A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford, #3) by Charles Todd Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik Then We Take Berlin by John Lawton Bound to Danger (Deadly Ops, #2) by Katie Reus Cavallo Pazzo by Mari Sandoz

Option 2:
Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1) by Grace Draven Without a Trace by Sandra K. Moore Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan

Option 4:
The Hours by Michael Cunningham The Paris Wife by Paula McLain People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

message 3: by Fandury (last edited Jun 06, 2016 02:14AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Doesn't Work

Option 2:
Uprooted by Naomi Novik

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (last edited Jun 04, 2016 04:00PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7588 comments for option 2:
Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1) by Grace Draven

message 6: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Just wanted to high five you for the task! I met my husband on WoW, best game in the world <3

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 652 comments Will this work for option 4? The Hours

Thanks.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1531 comments Please confirm A Bitter Truth with War as a main page genre.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3670 comments Please verify WAR on main page (it's near the bottom)
Throne of Jade

message 10: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Great task! Now I want to play WoW. (I'm busy with work, haven't logged on all week.)

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3438 comments Can I please have Then We Take Berlin genre approved for War? It is currently there with 5 users but it may be a while before I read it and anything can happen.
Thanks,
Andy

message 12: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Sorry I'm in the moment at Vienna Airport and wait for my terrible delayed flight home. As I have only my Ipad and spotty internet, I have problems answering your questions.

I promise I will look at them later if I'm not to tired when I arrive home or latest tomorrow morning.

Sorry for this. The weekend proved to be a little bit more complicated than I expected.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Fandury wrote: "Sorry I'm in the moment at Vienna Airport and wait for my terrible delayed flight home. As I have only my Ipad and spotty internet, I have problems answering your questions."

Until Fandury can get home:
A Bitter Truth
Throne of Jade
Then We Take Berlin

Verified as having War as a main page genre.

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3438 comments Thanks

message 15: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Dee wrote: "for option 2:
Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1) by Grace Draven"

Yes, these are obviously two different races, so this book will work.

message 16: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Cait wrote: "Just wanted to high five you for the task! I met my husband on WoW, best game in the world <3"

Gratulations. I miserable failed to get my husband interesting in Gaming at all.

message 17: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Kim wrote: "Will this work for option 4? The Hours

Thanks."

Yes, according to the description and the given settings in the Metadata, this book is set both at the UK and USA. Have fun reading.

message 18: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments As Kristina already confirmed the genre, all questions should be answered.

Sorry again for not replying sooner. But I was onyl home after 1AM and then found that one of my cats used the opportunity to barf on my bed and after changing the sheets I only wanted to crawl into the now clean bed and sleep...

message 19: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Will this work for Option 2?
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
In the description is seems that the dragons are a race of their own, so a human and the dragon on the cover would be two races? (I may be forcing it though)

message 20: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Christi wrote: "Will this work for Option 2?
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
In the description is seems that the dragons are a race of their own, so a human and the dragon on the cover would be two races? (I may be..."

Sorry, as I wrote in the task both persons have to be humanoid, and that rules out all magical animals like dragons, even the smart ones.

message 21: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Gotcha on the dragons...missed that when reading over the rules.
What about this?
Practical Demonkeeping (Pine Cove, #1) by Christopher Moore

message 22: by Fandury (last edited Jun 06, 2016 06:18AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Christi wrote: "Gotcha on the dragons...missed that when reading over the rules.
What about this?
Practical Demonkeeping (Pine Cove, #1) by Christopher Moore"

Yes, this lizard/demon looks humanoid and these two are definitly two different races, so it will work.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Fandury wrote: "Christi wrote: "Will this work for Option 2?
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
In the description is seems that the dragons are a race of their own, so a human and the dragon on the cover would be two ..."

Just to clarify on Uprooted, the dragon is not a real dragon. It is a person. The dragon is a title.

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3670 comments For option 4
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain The Paris Wife

Begins in USA where Hadley meets Ernest Hemingway and they marry.
They then move to Europe ... most of the book takes place in France, but a significant plot element occurs in Spain (where Ernest writes his first novel, and ... well, that's a spoiler)

message 25: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Book Concierge wrote: "For option 4
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain The Paris Wife

Begins in USA where Hadley meets Ernest Hemingway and they marry.
They then move to Europe ... most of the book takes ..."

Yes, this looks like it will work. Approved!

message 26: by Jonquil (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Fandury- Please confirm option 1 genre? Thanks!
Bound to Danger

message 27: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Jonquil wrote: "Fandury- Please confirm option 1 genre? Thanks!
Bound to Danger"

Yes, genre War is on the main page, confirmed!

message 28: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 135 comments Fandury could you please verify Cavallo Pazzo with War as a main page genre for Option 1?

message 29: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Sara wrote: "Fandury could you please verify Cavallo Pazzo with War as a main page genre for Option 1?"

War as Main Page Genre confirmed. Happy reading.

message 30: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 135 comments Fandury wrote: "Sara wrote: "Fandury could you please verify Cavallo Pazzo with War as a main page genre for Option 1?"

War as Main Page Genre confirmed. Happy reading."

Thank you!

message 31: by Trish (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:47AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments I'm trying to find a home for People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks - I've got one possibility, but this task's Option 4 is another. The book is set out as an overall story, with a number of interludes explaining what the main character finds as she restores the book:

Table of Contents:
Hanna Sarajevo, Spring 1996
An Insect’s Wing Sarajevo, 1940
Hanna Vienna, Spring 1996
Feathers and a Rose Vienna, 1894
Hanna Vienna, Spring 1996
Wine Stains Venice, 1609
Hanna Boston, Spring 1996
Saltwater Tarragona, 1492
Hanna London, Spring 1996
A White Hair Seville, 1480
Hanna Sarajevo, Spring 1996
Lola Jerusalem, 2002
Hanna Arnhem Land, Gunumeleng, 2002

So we have sections in Bosnia, Austria, Venice, Boston, London, Spain and Israel. Hopefully that should cover the requirements for Option 4?

message 32: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Trish wrote: "I'm trying to find a home for People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks - I've got one possibility, but this task's Option 4 is another. The book is set out as an overall story, with a..."

Yes, Trish, this will definitly work, as it seems that all the locations have a significant part in telling the story.

And the book definitly looks interesting...another one for my TBR-list.

message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Fandury wrote: "Trish wrote: "I'm trying to find a home for People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks - I've got one possibility, but this task's Option 4 is another. The book is set out as an overall..."

I read it when it first came out and enjoyed it. Currently rereading it for for my Book Club. Definitely worth it.

message 34: by Melanie (last edited Jul 10, 2016 04:24AM) (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Please verify Without A Trace (Athena Force) by Sandra K. Moore for option 2 - Chines man & white woman on cover

Thanks!

message 35: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Melanie wrote: "Please verify Without A Trace (Athena Force) by Sandra K. Moore for option 2 - Japanese man & white woman on cover

Thanks!"

Yes, this will work.

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments Will Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan work for Option 2? (The man is Vulcan; the woman is human)

message 37: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Julia wrote: "Will Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan work for Option 2? (The man is Vulcan; the woman is human)"

Yes, this will work.

message 38: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments Fandury wrote: "Julia wrote: "Will Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan work for Option 2? (The man is Vulcan; the woman is human)"

Yes, this will work."

Thanks! (It's one of my comfort books, so glad to have an opportunity to re-read.)

message 39: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments As the genres keep disappearing, just checking if Old Man's War by John Scalzi works for option 1.

message 40: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Gabriella wrote: "As the genres keep disappearing, just checking if Old Man's War by John Scalzi works for option 1."

It's gone in the moment, but I will recheck later if the genre has poped up again. In the moment this book has only 2 main page genres. I would really love to know what determines how many genres are shown...