Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Questions about books...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 115 comments What book is everyone reading right now? I'm looking for some more good books to add to my to-read list.

Also, I'm curious. I still enjoy reading hard copies of books and don't prefer to have a Nook or Kindle. I'm sure most people agree with me that new books are very expensive, so I was curious where everyone purchases books from? I enjoy shopping at the used book store and will purchase used books as long as they are in 'good' condition. If I'm looking for a new book that a used book store doesn't have, I'll usually wait for it to come in or check with the library.

That reminds me...Does anybody still check out books from the library, or am I one of the only people who still goes there?

Leave me comments. Let me know!!

message 2: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan I've checked out a book for my Kindle from the library.

message 3: by David (new)

David L. | 6 comments When I learn about a new book by one of my favorite authors, I put in a request to our local library and they let me know when I can come pick it up. So, yes, I still enjoy going to the library.

message 4: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 172 comments Hi Megan,
I've nearly finished Rage by Wilbur Smith, set in Africa during the Mandella/apartheid times. It's over 800 pages and slow to get in to but, as always with Wilbur Smith, beautifully written.

I prefer a physical book - use the library a lot but also buy books from garage sales or charity shops, especially if I want one when travelling.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 115 comments Rita wrote: "Hi Megan,
I've nearly finished Rage by Wilbur Smith, set in Africa during the Mandella/apartheid times. It's over 800 pages and slow to get in to but, as always with Wilbur Smith, beautifully writt..."

I have not read any of Smith's books, but heard they are very good. I noticed that 'Rage' is Courtney #6. Would you suggest that I read these in order so that I'm more aware of the characters and plots, or does it not matter? This book looks pretty good. It's a long one!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Connell (michelleconnell) Oh, I love the library!! I don't own a Kindle either. I love to hold a book in my hands, turn the pages and know how far I am, etc. I also am a writer and work on my laptop a good chunk of the day, so have no desire to read a book on any device.

message 7: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 47 comments Haven't been to the library in ages...and even the bookstores here, because book prices are ridiculous with all the taxes they have on them. It's Kindle store all the way for me now...

And I'm currently reading Jojo Moyes Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes Terribly eager to see the movie (I love Sam Claflin, LOL), so I needed to read the story beforehand to catch it in all its intricacies and integrity. So far, it is heartbreaking! I'm about 55% in today.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) Zee wrote: "So far, it is heartbreaking!"

Zee, that is exactly why I'm afraid to read this book.

message 9: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 47 comments Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Zee wrote: "So far, it is heartbreaking!"

Zee, that is exactly why I'm afraid to read this book."

It's the good kind, though. The read just flows through, the characters so engaging!