The Butterfly Garden  (The Collector, #1) The Butterfly Garden discussion

Rants, Raves and other random thoughts (spoilers in tags)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fabi Let's discuss!

Please put any spoilerish comments inside spoiler tags and title them with the page or percent location of the book so others know whether the comment is safe to read given their progress in the book.

For example, at around 40% (view spoiler)

Fabi At 54% (view spoiler)

I've been thinking about moving on to a different book since about the 30% mark. I hope some of my skepticism is addressed later in the story, otherwise I'm going to be a little disappointed with it.

message 3: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Shit, I don't know how to hide spoilers....help Fabi???

But to answer your questions I honestly don't know but I have to agree with you on both accounts. We know he had Avery's help but not with the second part so I'm guessing *spoiler*

message 4: by Fabi (last edited Jun 02, 2016 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi Oh, dang it! You're farther along than I am in the book. So it sounds like I'm going to regret reading it. It skims one of my triggers and I was hoping...oh well. Thanks for answering!!!

The spoiler tags are easy. Just use one of these "<" then the word "spoiler", then close it with this one, ">". Write your comment, and at the end of it use this "<"/spoiler">". Take off all the quote marks. I'm only using them so the word and carrots show up right now.

There are some basic html instructions right above the comment window in the right hand side. Click the link "(some html is ok)".

message 6: by Ela (last edited Jun 02, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Ok not that I'm farther ahead, although I am but (view spoiler)

What's your hard limit or trigger?

Fabi @62% (view spoiler)

Fabi Ela, I know what you're saying and it would make sense if his actions were a surprise like they are in the beginning. (view spoiler)

lol, my trigger in books, in case you haven't figured it out yet, is ...not really a spoiler, but just in case...(view spoiler)

message 9: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Fabi wrote: "@62% [spoilers removed]"

I totally agree and this surprised me the most!!!!!!! The only logical answer would be that (view spoiler)

message 10: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Fabi wrote: "Ela, I know what you're saying and it would make sense if his actions were a surprise like they are in the beginning. [spoilers removed]

lol, my trigger in books, in case you haven't figured it ou..."

No you are totally right and I'm just trying to justify their actions because YOU ARE RIGHT...ok so (view spoiler)

Oh yeah that TRIGGER...lmao.....I really don't view HER as THAT

message 11: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi You're generous. I'm looking at a lot of these things as plot holes. I have no doubt this book is going to be wildly popular. It already is. But unless the last third of the book does some serious tidying up and filling in the plot, my review is going to be unpopular.

Oh my God, another thing I'm struggling with...(view spoiler)

I think this is another one where, if it wasn't a buddy read, I would have dnfed. <--- book lingo :-). But, I never dnf on BR.

message 12: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi Ela, he does (view spoiler)

You don't view HER as THAT but she was there for (view spoiler) No.Freakin.Way

message 13: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela OMG Fabi!!!!!!!!!!! You are making me question everything!!!!!!!! (view spoiler)

message 14: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi (view spoiler) women are not that weak. At the risk of coming across as a chauvinist, I have to say that most male authors never paint women as weak in their plots.

message 15: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela I have no excuse for his psycho behaviors and I agree (view spoiler)

message 16: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi (view spoiler)

message 17: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi I'm about to go into the last third of the book and so far, this plot leaks like a sieve.

message 18: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Fabi wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Ah now I remember!

message 19: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Fabi wrote: "[spoilers removed] women are not that weak. At the risk of coming across as a chauvinist, I have to say that most male authors never paint women as weak in their plots."

You just wait! Things are getting better and better but I can't seem to find it in me to not love this book. Oh and I "accidentally" read some spoilers and I hope they lie because I will be Pissed the 'ef off!

message 20: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi That's what I'm hoping for Ela. Something happening in the last third of the book to completely change my mind and pull all of this nonesense into some kind of cohesive story for me. (But, I don't want to read spoilers unless I plan to dnf at this point)

message 21: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Um...sadly I'm being sarcastic...I'm at 87%

message 22: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi I just hit 74% and it's break time for me. This new thing with Des. *shakes head* so not working for me

message 23: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Same here! I was hoping Des would add something to storyline but sadly I haven't seen it yet.

message 24: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Morawski Boy guys, I thought I was a nitpicker!

You're talking about a bunch of teeny girls girls here - 13 to 18 for one thing, some of them pretty fragile, so the idea of a rebellion is questionable. Some of these girls may not even have wanted to escape based on their backgrounds. Who knows? It's often stated that some of them had their faces tattooed to please the master so it's quite likely they would have immediately informed him of any pending escape plot.

Inara often states she is hesitant to do anything (like an escape attempt) that might get the other girls killed. And I buy that. If some of them made it out he would certainly have killed the rest of them. It might be frustrating but it seems a legitimate concern.

I think Des adds a new layer of frustration, and to me that is the central feeling behind this book. Inara dribbles out her story in frustrating little bits. The reader is frustrated at this and at the girl's captivity but it kind of demands one's attention. I know it worked that way for me. I couldn't stop reading it.

message 25: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi The "girls" are 16-21 years old instead of your 13-18. It's such a small difference in years but in human development 13-16 is huge.

Dev is a junior in college, his naivette is a little over the top.

message 26: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Well technically they can't really be 21 cause you know...LOL

message 27: by Fabi (last edited Jun 04, 2016 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi Ela!!! You're bad...but right

message 28: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Morawski I believe some of the later girls were very young. She even describes one brought in by the som as being barely a teen. You still have the issue of retaliation and the fact that some of the girls craved the master's attention.

I have no doubt that Inara on her own would have killed her captor without hesitation.

message 29: by Fabi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fabi Ed, I think we read different books. In this one the captor is very specific about (view spoiler)

As far as the others craving his attention, it was pointed out that "at one time" some of them considered getting closer to him as a way to getting out of there. However, as presented in the story, the one character that had face tatoos we were introduced to had definitely learned that it didn't work and was already dissolutioned.

Emily Fenske Fabi wrote: "@62% [spoilers removed]" You have to remember that he is looking at the women more as a collection. When one of them is "ruined", it's easier to end their lives and add another butterfly to the collection. He's obviously pretty fucked up, so I think that in his mind, he is preserving their beauty by killing them, and he sees it as less of a hassle to kidnap another butterfly to someday add to the collection instead of performing abortions on the butterflies that become pregnant.

Emily Fenske Fabi wrote: "You're generous. I'm looking at a lot of these things as plot holes. I have no doubt this book is going to be wildly popular. It already is. But unless the last third of the book does some serious ..." (view spoiler)

Emily Fenske Ed wrote: "Boy guys, I thought I was a nitpicker!

You're talking about a bunch of teeny girls girls here - 13 to 18 for one thing, some of them pretty fragile, so the idea of a rebellion is questionable. Som..."

wow I totally agree with you on this one

Emily Fenske Fabi wrote: "The "girls" are 16-21 years old instead of your 13-18. It's such a small difference in years but in human development 13-16 is huge.

Dev is a junior in college, his naivette is a little over the top."

I think Ed is right (view spoiler)

Yaya Fabi wrote: "@62% [spoilers removed]"

Ela wrote: "Ok not that I'm farther ahead, although I am but [spoilers removed]

What's your hard limit or trigger?"

I agree with you. Also do birth controls not exist or what? There are places you can get them for free and condoms too.

message 35: by Sanika (new)

Sanika Soparkar All i want to know is inaara's real name!

Yaya @sanika why?

Jacque I agree with you. Also do birth control..."

Lorain gives them shots every few months and it's explained away that sometimes they don't work. Nothing is 100%, right?

I wanted to know her real name forever, too! It drove me nuts.

I loved the book, but don't think it'll do real well as a movie, to be honest.

Nicole He's not a sociopath, he's just bored ;)

message 39: by S.T. (last edited Nov 19, 2017 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.T. Holmes I agree, he is a sociopath but I don't think it's boredom he is dealing with. It's the memory of his father and how he lost his life's work. This person thinks he has found a way to preserve it although his actions are a bit extreme and perverse. One thing we have all learned is that nothing lasts forever.