Amazon Editors' YA Book Club discussion

June 2016 > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seira (new)

Seira Wilson | 92 comments Mod
It's been one year since the start of this book club and I've had so much fun. As always, wondering who has read this month's selection and who's had it on the "to read" shelf for awhile?

message 2: by Alicia (last edited Jun 15, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Alicia | 40 comments OMG, Seira, I was swamped and cannot believe that I must have missed the poll for June!!! I just went and checked the options, and I would have been 1 more for Challenger Deep. DYING to get to that, which I have bought and have for summer. Love mental illness themes. I had bought this for my own kids (PT Indian), but haven't read. Not on my TBR, but will try to follow with the club this month. Not opposed to it. Interestingly enough, Sherman Alexie has won (today announced!) the 2016 Boston Globe Horn Book Club award for Thunder Boy Junior, in the picture book category. I forget if it was a winner or honoree, but great, in any case! Maybe those are only notable here in Boston? Not sure....but great recognition for the author of PT Indian.

message 3: by Seira (new)

Seira Wilson | 92 comments Mod
Thunder Boy Junior is a great picture book (I put it on our best of the month list for May) so nice to hear about the award win!

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 40 comments Seira wrote: "Thunder Boy Junior is a great picture book (I put it on our best of the month list for May) so nice to hear about the award win!"

Pertinent to us....though not Native American, we do have a "Junior" in the household!

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Bonham | 4 comments I read this book at the end of 2015, and in my review I said I wish I could give it 10 stars. I've never read a book like this, that could make me cry and laugh at the same time. It was so heart-wrenchingly sad, yet so full of hope and inspiration. I just really loved it.

message 6: by Jolene (new)

Jolene (jheinemann287) I've taught this book to freshmen to start the school year and really enjoyed talking to them about what it means to be within and outside of a community at the same time.

message 7: by Alicia (last edited Jun 15, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Alicia | 40 comments Seira, I was not 100% for this choice after the poll, but I'm so glad I read it. Just finished it, and my review. This is one book I'd have been sorry to have missed! Five stars!!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura McAllister it was an interesting tale. the social issues dealt with were somethings that I personally have not bee familiarized with and it was intriguing to read about them. however I would have preferred a more mature book for this month.

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 40 comments Laura wrote: "it was an interesting tale. the social issues dealt with were somethings that I personally have not bee familiarized with and it was intriguing to read about them. however I would have preferred a ..."

LOL, respectfully asking--are there mature YA books?!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (secofnola) How do I find the selection?

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 40 comments Susan wrote: "How do I find the selection?"

At the very top of this discussion page, you'll see the month and the book title. Otherwise, for details, I think you go to the "group home" link (see top right of this page!).

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura McAllister @Alicia Well to me young adult embodies coming of age, which this book does entail. I however, personally felt that it was appealing to a younger middle school /junior high audience in terms of the style of writing, not a young woman/ young man in their late teens/early 20s. It just wasn't my particular cup of tea this month...

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 40 comments Laura wrote: "@Alicia Well to me young adult embodies coming of age, which this book does entail. I however, personally felt that it was appealing to a younger middle school /junior high audience in terms of the..."

I can see that. I did like the style a lot, which made me like the book overall. Did you read, and, if so, did you like Tell the Wolves I'm Home? I don't think it was specifically marketed as YA, but could see it being thought of as such. Loved it.

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I loved Tell the Wolves I'm Home and see it more of an adult book than a YA book. It is almost too long to be marketed as a serious YA book. Unlike books similar to Harry Potter, most YA books are shorter.

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I'm so pleased that The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian was chosen as this month's book. I probably would not have gotten around to reading it otherwise.

As I was reading it I wondered how a white man could attempt to write about Indian life. Then I discovered that the book is semi-autobiographical. That adds more impact and meaning to the story. I want to congratulate Sherman Alexie for sharing a difficult part of his past and doing it for teens and for those who struggle to understand living in two worlds.

Arnold often expresses his feelings through cartoon like drawings which greatly enhance his story. I had to move my ebook version to a tablet to be able to read the words in them. Apparently the author narrates the audio book, which would be interesting to hear, but then the listener misses the drawings.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian appears on the Amazon Editor's 100 Young Adult Books To Read in a Lifetime

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=1142445...

but not on the their Reader's Pick list:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_11424...

It also appears on Parade Magazine's list of best 75 books of the last 75 years, recently assembled by Ann Patchett and her associates:

http://parade.com/wp-content/uploads/...

message 17: by Janene (new)

Janene Murphy (janenemurphy) | 28 comments I'd also classify this as middle school. With that said, this is one of my favorite books to suggest to middle school boys. I LOVE it. What a thought-provoking coming of age tale with equal parts heart and humor.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura McAllister @Alicia I've not read Tell the wolves I'm home, but I it's now on my list.

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 40 comments Loved it. I actually listened to the audiobook, Laura, so that may have impacted my experience with the book.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (secofnola) I've had True Confessions on my TBR list for quite a while. I was hoping the kids in the book club I facilitate would select it, then I could move it higher on my list. Maybe next year.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (secofnola) *Diaries*not Confessions.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilsman My fave YA title since I read it in library school
Listen to the audio version - Alexie reads it himself and it's fantastic