Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > Looking for specific book

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammy (new)

Sammy | 12 comments Does anyone know of a King novel or short story where there is a music concert featured or mentioned in part of the book?

Thank you!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Two off of the top of my head are:
Short story "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Kno...

And novel Mr. Mercedes.

message 3: by Sammy (new)

Sammy | 12 comments Becky wrote: "Two off of the top of my head are:
Short story "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Kno...

And novel Mr. Mercedes."

Thanks Im going to check these out

message 4: by Sammy (new)

Sammy | 12 comments Sammy wrote: "Does anyone know of a King novel or short story where there is a music concert featured or mentioned in part of the book?

Thank you!"

They got a hell of a band was it! Thanks

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Glad I could help. :)

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments I started Insomnia last night because I thought I remembered AA figured heavily in it. It doesn't! Does anyone remember in which book AA appears? Maybe Three Past Midnight: The Library Policeman? It's bugging me now and if someone points me in the right direction, I'm rereading that one next.

On a side note, I didn't really love Insomnia when I first read it, but am absolutely digging it this time! It may be the DT references. I hadn't read the entire DT series the first time I read Insomnia, but I think it's more that this book is amazing and I was an ass for not recognizing it the first time though!

message 7: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments AA?

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments Alcoholics Anonymous

message 9: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments I know "Doctor Sleep" is an obvious answer, there may be more. Now I'm on a mission. I'll shuffle through titles and see if another pops up.

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments E. wrote: "I know "Doctor Sleep" is an obvious answer, there may be more. Now I'm on a mission. I'll shuffle through titles and see if another pops up."

Thanks. I think I am destined to spend part of today flipping through my books. Probably not a bad thing since most of my rereads are done on my Nook.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Freeman (chrisfreeman) | 30 comments Yes, The Library Policeman is the one you're thinking of, Kandice.

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments Chris wrote: "Yes, The Library Policeman is the one you're thinking of, Kandice."

Thanks! It's weird that I was so certain it was Insomnia until I was about 20 pages in and then TLP popped up as the next possibility.

message 13: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments The Tommyknockers also has several AA references

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments E. wrote: "The Tommyknockers also has several AA references"
I thought of that one too, but now that I've flipped through I see that Chris is right. The Library Policeman is what I was thinking of. I think the first time I read that was my first real glimpse at AA, but now, because of where I work, I see a lot about it. As much as I read, I should read some "real" material about it rather than rely on King for my facts, O_o

Still gonna read TLP next, though! ;-)

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 369 comments ok, I listened to this short story on iTunes. I thought it was a Stephen king story but now I can't find it. it was about a lil boy fishing and the devil shows up and wants his fish. anyone know what story this is? the narrator did a great job and made it chilling.

message 16: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments I know it King won an award for the story
Let me investigate and get back to u

message 17: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 369 comments ok. I thought it was the man in the black suit but now I'm not sure.

message 18: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments The man in the black suit; everything is eventual

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 369 comments Ok thank you! I think I have that collection.

message 20: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Another story in that collection was all that you love will be carried away; which was one of my favorites....
I have a book of quotes from literature not the bathroom but Kings twist was a nice little story along with Lucky Quarter....

message 21: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 369 comments Kenneth wrote: "Another story in that collection was all that you love will be carried away; which was one of my favorites....
I have a book of quotes from literature not the bathroom but Kings twist was a nice li..."

all my books are packed up. I'm moving soon but I'm pretty sure that collection is one I got for 2$ cause it didn't have a dust jacket.

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments Latasha wrote: "ok, I listened to this short story on iTunes. I thought it was a Stephen king story but now I can't find it. it was about a lil boy fishing and the devil shows up and wants his fish. anyone know wh..."

The Man in the Black Suit

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg (popzeus) Kandice wrote: "Latasha wrote: "ok, I listened to this short story on iTunes. I thought it was a Stephen king story but now I can't find it. it was about a lil boy fishing and the devil shows up and wants his fish..."

Beat me to it. This is one of his creepiest short stories.

message 24: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments I'm going to have to look it up I know I have read the book but some of the specifics are missing from the card catalogue in my brain. either that they have gotten damp and mildew has covered them and I can't read them...

message 25: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 369 comments I tried to find it in iTunes, where I listened the first time but I can't find it. It was in a podcast.

message 26: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt | 87 comments AA is also referenced in 11/22/63

message 27: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) | 104 comments Is there any Stephen King book about a creepy doll?

message 28: by Jenny Baker (new)

Jenny Baker (jennyrbaker) | 10 comments Michele wrote: "Is there any Stephen King book about a creepy doll?"

In one story in Skeleton Crew, there's a toy monkey and every time he plays the cymbals, somebody dies. I also heard there's a creepy doll in Duma Key.

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) | 104 comments Thank you!

message 30: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Jenny Baker wrote: "Michele wrote: "Is there any Stephen King book about a creepy doll?"

In one story in Skeleton Crew, there's a toy monkey and every time he plays the cymbals, somebody dies. I also heard there's a ..."

In Duma Key there's a malevolent spirit that speaks to a little girl through her rag doll... the spirt herself is held in a china figurine.