Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Recommended Reading: The Works of Warren Ellis

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Blindzider | 3121 comments Mod
This thread is for all group members to give suggestions on what stories they would recommend to people that are new to the group and/or to reading graphic novels. This particular thread will be about all work by Warren Ellis.

The idea is to compile a list of books on each subject/topic from the group members and have a central thread that people can use to decide where to begin.

Preferably, the suggestions should be limited to stories that are available in some type of hardcover: Absolute, Omnibus, Deluxe HC, etc.

Make as many suggestions as you like, but do try to keep it to an "essential/best reads".

# of Votes / Title (through message 7)
2 / Planetary by Ellis/Cassaday

message 2: by Blindzider, Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2016 05:16AM) (new)

These are pretty easy for me:

Planetary
Ellis examines many different genres and twists them (giant monsters, ghost stories, superheroes, pulp stories, etc.) tied with an overarching mystery. Plus you have Cassaday's best work, IMO.
Absolute Planetary Book One by Warren Ellis Absolute Planetary Book Two by Warren Ellis Absolute Planetary (Planetary, #1 - #4) by Warren Ellis

The Authority
Turned to 11 superhero action, with widescreen art from Bryan Hitch.
The Absolute Authority, Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis

Some honorable mentions:
Stormwatch - leads into Authority, but has its own really outlandish but interesting ideas within the superhero genre.
Global Frequency (cool idea, although some of the plots were reused from Stormwatch)
Ultimate Galactus Trilogy

Meh:
Ministry of Space
Ocean
Moon Knight
NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E - I only read the first volume and the humor was lost on me.

message 3: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Jun 02, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Relstuart | 2794 comments Mod
I really enjoyed Planetary. I still need to read Authority. I think he doing a Bond comic book right now I think? I'd be willing to check that out if/when we see a HC edition come out.

Edit add: James Bond: VARGR HC by Warren Ellis has a release date on Amazon of 5 Jul 16.

message 4: by Donovan (last edited Jun 02, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Donovan | 1153 comments Don't think I've read anything but Moon Knight, and probably not his best!

message 5: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Donovan wrote: "Don't think I've read anything but Moon Knight, and probably not his best!"
If you had to read one thing by him, I would say it is Planetary, easily.

He has bits of brilliance across other things, but I think Planetary is the most cohesive and complete series he's done (of the ones I've read.)

message 6: by Donovan (new)

Donovan | 1153 comments Blindzider wrote: "Donovan wrote: "Don't think I've read anything but Moon Knight, and probably not his best!"
If you had to read one thing by him, I would say it is Planetary, easily.

He has bits of brilliance acro..."

I think my library has the Absolute Planetary. When I get some time I'll check it out.

message 7: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

You have a really nice library! Mine mostly carries tpbs and not many.