Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > June 2014 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 07, 2014 12:32PM) (new)

David Gooch | 4040 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the June Group Reads and will close on 17th May 2014 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 18th to and including 25th May 2014.

You may nominate 1 book in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.42) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

How about Birdman By Mo Hayder
Birdman (Jack Caffery, #1) by Mo Hayder

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Ron wrote: "How about Birdman By Mo Hayder
Birdman (Jack Caffery, #1) by Mo Hayder"

great book, wonderful author

message 4: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments How about The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris

A read-it-in-one-sitting, action-packed, gritty, and atmospheric crime novel set on the tough streets of 1946 Glasgow

The last time Douglas Brodie came home it was 1942 and he was a dashing young warrior in a kilt. Now, the war is over, but victory's wine has soured and Brodie's back in Scotland to try and save childhood friend Hugh Donovan from the gallows. Everyone thought Hugh was dead, shot down in the war. Perhaps it would have been kinder if he had been killed. The man who returns from the war is unrecognizable: mutilated, horribly burned. Hugh keeps his own company, only venturing out for heroin to deaden the pain of his wounds. When a local boy is found raped and murdered, there is only one suspect. Hugh claims he's innocent but a mountain of evidence says otherwise. Despite the hideousness of the crime, ex-policeman Brodie feels compelled to try and help his one-time friend. Working with advocate Samantha Campbell, Brodie trawls the mean streets of the Gorbals and the green hills of western Scotland in their search for the truth. What they find is an unholy alliance of troublesome priests, corrupt cops, and Glasgow's deadliest razor gang, happy to slaughter to protect their dark and dirty secrets. As time runs out for the condemned man, the murder tally of innocents starts to climb. When Sam Campbell disappears, it's the last straw for Brodie, and he reverts to his wartime role as a trained killer. It's them or him.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 580 comments Mod
I thought Birdman unpleasant & can't recall whether i finshed it but I'd love to give Mo another shot. As for The Hanging Shed, started it but got distracted by somrthing else. Not sure i want any more Scotish alcoholics but the Scots language is a fun challenge.

message 6: by David (new)

Fanficfan44 wrote: "How about The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris

A read-it-in-one-sitting, action-packed, gritty, and atmospheric crime novel set on the tough streets of 1946 Glasgow

The last time Douglas Brodie ..."

This would go as a value book nomination Fanficfan44 as it is currently £2.84 in UK and $4.77 on amazon.com.

It is a good book I gave it 4 stars when I read it and my review is at
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments It is $8.69 in the US, but if you have already read it we can drop it if you want. It is just on my TBR list

David wrote: "Fanficfan44 wrote: "How about The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris

The last ..."

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 56 comments Fanficfan44 wrote: "It is $8.69 in the US, but if you have already read it we can drop it if you want. It is just on my TBR list

David wrote: "Fanficfan44 wrote: "How about The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris

A ..."

Now that's interesting Fanficfan44. I take it you are in the US. To me in NZ Amazon.com show it as $4.00 - approx. NZ$4.70. Usually it is more expensive for me! So variable and no apparent rhyme or reason.

message 9: by David (new)

Fanficfan44 wrote: "It is $8.69 in the US, but if you have already read it we can drop it if you want. It is just on my TBR list
"

Firstly whether I have read it or not is irrelevant. Books will always get nominated that someone has read and it doesn't make them any less a nomination.
Due to the price at your end though it will now be a main read nomination.

message 10: by David (last edited May 09, 2014 12:54AM) (new)

A.J.'s nomination is
The Darkening Hour by Penny Hancock

The Darkening Hour by Penny Hancock

as discussed in her thread "Books about Secrets" and blog, see
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 56 comments For the main group read I would like to nominate Wicked Autumn (A Max Tudor Mystery, #1) by G.M. Malliet by G.M. Malliet

In Wicked Autumn, G M Malliet serves up an irresistible English village - deliciously skewered - a flawed but engaging protagonist and a brilliantly modern version of the traditional locked room mystery.

message 12: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 56 comments Could I nominate a book that was in the last poll in the value read category.
Death Cart (Yorkshire Dales Mystery #2) by Susan Parry by Susan Parry

message 13: by David (new)

Thanks for your nomination's Ella's Gran.

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 580 comments Mod
I@'d like to read the Darkening Hour.

message 15: by David (new)

The nominations so far are:-

Main Book Read
1: Birdman By Mo Hayder
2: The Darkening Hour by Penny Hancock
3: Wicked Autumn by G.M. Malliet

Value Book Read
1: The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris
2: Death Cart by Susan Parry

There is still a few days to nominate so get them in.

message 16: by David (new)

My nomination for main read is

The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3) by James Oswald

The Hangman's Song by James Oswald

"A young man is found hanging by a rope in his Edinburgh home. A simple, sad suicide, yet Detective Inspector Tony McLean is puzzled by the curious suicide note. A second hanged man and another strange note hint at a sinister pattern.
Investigating a brutal prostitution and human trafficking ring, McLean struggles to find time to link the two suicides. But the discovery of a third convinces him of malicious intent.
Digging deeper, McLean finds answers much closer to home than he expects. Something terrifying stalks the city streets, and bringing it to justice may destroy all he holds dear."

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Definitely on my TBR list. I loved his Natural Causes.

message 18: by David (new)

Just today and tomorrow to get those nominations in for the Group reads for June.

message 19: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Bill wrote: "I thought Birdman unpleasant & can't recall whether i finshed it but I'd love to give Mo another shot. As for The Hanging Shed, started it but got distracted by somrthing else. Not sure i want any ..."

I also found Birdman unpleasant. I read it because there was a lot of buzz about Mo Hayder and wanted to give one of her books a try. Don't know if I would read another or not.

I nominated The Hanging Shed but just read the article about Quirke being made into a tv show and now I want to read something in that series as well. Have to see what happens with the polls.

message 20: by David (new)

Right the final nominations that will form the vote are:-
The nominations so far are:-

Main Book Read
1: Birdman By Mo Hayder
2: The Darkening Hour by Penny Hancock
3: Wicked Autumn by G.M. Malliet
4: The Hangman's Song by James Oswald

Value Book Read
1: The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris
2: Death Cart by Susan Parry

message 21: by David (new)

The main Book read is all very close in the vote at the moment with 2 tied in front and a third only 1 vote behind.

In reality any of the four could still win the vote so get your votes in as it closes for voting midnight Sunday. You can vote at
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4...

In the value book vote it isn't cut and dried but at the moment Death Cart is ahead.

message 22: by David (new)

The winners of the vote and the book reads for June are;

Main Book Read
Wicked Autumn by G.M. Malliet

Value Book Read
Death Cart by Susan Parry

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Read Wicked Autumn.