2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - General > Help reducing Owned-TBR books!!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 92 comments Hello all, I need a little help reducing my owned-tbr books while still being able to buy books. Okay so here is my current plan:

1. I must read 5 of my owned books to place 1 order (one book order may be a stand-alone or series ONLY, no random unrelated books, multiple series by the same author is okay)

2. Any book or series I order must be read or started within 30 days of arrival (I do not have a punishment in the event that I don't do this...)

3. I must have completed at least 1 book of a trilogy or 2 books of a quartet (or any series more than 4 books) to allow myself to get the preorder for the next book in the series.

That's it. I would be very thankful to anyone who has any suggestions on how to make my plans better. My current number of owned and unread books is: 62 (does not include currently-reading)

message 2: by Christa (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments I'm with you! I don't have the self-control for #1, alas, but #3 is a big one. I have a tendency to buy an entire series based on 1 recommendation (even if it's just a tumblr post saying someone liked it), and sometimes I feel like I could've stopped after just the first book!

I'm not very good at imposing a book-buying ban. I'm usually sitting around 60 books TBR, even though I read very quickly. I tend to buy as often as I read!

The best I've been able to do is limit myself to visiting my local used book store 1-2 times a month, and only order online when I have 'extra' money in my budget. If I visit somewhere new, though, all bets are off - I have to visit those used book stores and get all the goodies!

Another thing I do thanks to this lovely group is pledge as many books I own as possible toward one of the challenges. If I know I need to read it for a challenge, I definitely will! Challenges like 'Clear Your Shelves' and May's 'Marathon' have been good excuses to go through some of those longer books I'd been putting off.

message 3: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1875 comments I, too, would like to read the books I already own - although my list is not quite as long as yours (38).

But like Christa I find, that I am much more likely to read the books in my challenges, so next time I create one, it will definitely involve these books!

And rather than punish yourself for NOT doing it, maybe you should plan a reward for DOING it?

Good luck :)

message 4: by Lady Clementina (last edited Jun 19, 2016 04:51AM) (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Mine is pretty huge (too embarrassed to say how many) if I count pending e-books- especially finding so many marvellous ones on Project Gutenberg I cave in and download something.

I am trying to follow no 1 the same as you- no new book (to buy or download) unless I finish five.

I've also thought of finishing all the books I have by an author (on the TBR) before getting any more of his or hers.

And a third rule I'm trying to follow is (since I have a list), I'm trying to particularly pick books that are pending the longest. But of course this doesn't have much to do with size.

I try to limit my shopping too but am very unsuccessful with this. As of now I've been avoiding passing by the book store (especially their used/ shop-soiled table which sits temptingly outside the shop) and only getting books (or at least trying to), if I don't have them and want to participate in a group read (not more than one a month- and I find I don't really end up ordering every month for this ).

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 752 comments I think this is a great start, but I would probably not let myself buy any more until I'd read more. That said, I would probably weaken and take out library books.

I have a few tbr books I own but haven't yet read, but not 62 since I mainly use the library. I have had piles of library books waiting to be read and then after 8 weeks (renewed once) that have gone back unread! I try to avoid that but once in a while go overboard again.

message 6: by Jewel (last edited Jul 01, 2016 11:10PM) (new)

Jewel | 92 comments Update: A couple things
1. I only consider physical books since they actually take up space on my bookshelf.
2. I don't go to the library, I just personally like to own my books.
3. I am now down to 58 books. I read 10 books in June but that includes ebooks and audiobooks. I slipped up and bought an exra book but I made sure to read it right away.

Thanks for the replies!

message 7: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 559 comments Aah, I need this too! xD

I decided that I can't buy new books until I only have 10 unread books on my shelves. (Since I decided that, I bought one book... but you know, one in seven months is pretty good!)

I also use the library and my two flatmates' bookshelves, but I guess that doesn't help you.

And I thought of creating a counter on http://tickerfactory.com/, so I can visually check my progress.