The Reading Challenge Group discussion

General > Library Addicts Anonymous

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Okay, so... I currently have 14 books checked out of the library (many of which are children's books in French, is my justification). I have 3 more that I ordered and are ready to be picked up, 2 more that have been ordered and are not ready yet, and I just went to their website and ordered 3 more. Am I satisfied yet? NO. I had to restrain myself from ordering more and quickly X'ed out of the window, telling myself I could order them TOMORROW.

And the kicker? I have a pile of books sitting here that I own and haven't read yet, and another pile that my brother loaned to me that I haven't read yet.

Is this a sickness? Is there a cure? (Would I take the cure if one existed?)

Tell me I'm not alone! Library addicts unite!!

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Brown (taralynn_80) | 62 comments Haha! I am exactly the same way! I have a kindle loaded with books I haven't read, a stack of books from the library, maxed out at the library for holds on e-book, some e-books checked out, and a box full of books I haven't read at home that I own. I think it's a healthy addiction ;)

message 3: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Tara wrote: "Haha! I am exactly the same way! I have a kindle loaded with books I haven't read, a stack of books from the library, maxed out at the library for holds on e-book, some e-books checked out, and a b..."

I wish I could explain to the not-so-manic-about-books people in my life that it's healthy to be this way, LOL. It's one of those things that can't be sufficiently explained to anyone who doesn't automatically "get" it.

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
No shame! The library is a magical place. *sparkle sparkle*
It's like Disneyland for the literate. Only better because there's books and movies and music and magazines and newspapers and computers and wifi and audio books and ebooks and great big tables on which to spread your loot (or paperwork, if you must). AND you can access it all from your smartphone (except the big tables) and just snatch what you want in a quick drive-by. AND it's quiet. Quiet is an underrated commodity.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Faye wrote: "Okay, so... I currently have 14 books checked out of the library (many of which are children's books in French, is my justification). I have 3 more that I ordered and are ready to be picked
up, 2 m..."

Faye, I have a Nook that I have not read a single book from since January and a basket full of library books (which the one I'm reading is do tomorrow--dilemma) and four piles of books sitting next to my bed. Sometimes I feel so rich with such treasure and other times I break out in a literal cold sweat!

Renee wrote: "No shame! The library is a magical place. *sparkle sparkle*
It's like Disneyland for the literate. Only better because there's books and movies and music and magazines and newspapers and computers ..."

The library is better than Disney also in that it does not play that dreaded theme song "Where Dreams Come True" over and over and over, which should be renamed "Where Nightmares Begin". Oh yah, the library is pleasantly quiet with sweet librarians helping me. :)

Back to the library -- how about when you take two books back and come out with five and wonder when you will fit this into your assigned reading schedule for the month, because I really do not think that I can read more that 20 books each month. Ok, Ok I got on a rant and it is over. The library is our wonderful friend.

message 6: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I only have 4 checked out at the moment but I am at the library atleast once a week. I was there yesterday. I have a kindle and check books out digitally too now but I still go all the time. Yesterday the digital library people were set up by the enterance with a digital printer. I got all excited.....yep its like going to Disney!

message 7: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Renee wrote: "No shame! The library is a magical place. *sparkle sparkle*
It's like Disneyland for the literate. Only better because there's books and movies and music and magazines and newspapers and computers ..."

YES x 1000000000.

I still remember the library we went to when I was a little kid, no older than 3. It had a storybook train! I couldn't read yet, but I would run right over to that train and sit in every seat one after another, looking at all the books that were tucked away in each compartment. It's one of my most vivid childhood memories. Disneyland indeed!

message 8: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I'm actually more in love with the feel of a library, rather than the books. My school library has basically been my haven for the last 4 years at my school, and it's really made a large impact on me. I've got a whole new group of friends and people to talk to because we're all 'regulars' who just go to the our school library constantly.

I'm also really close to the librarians, who have really made me decide I want to go into libraries as a career, and have been super supportive over the last 4 years. I only have 10 days (officially) left at school, and that means 10 full days in the library, and I'm starting to feel the beginning of this gaping hole in my chest about leaving it. I don't care about the rest of the school, just the library! I am, however, going on a trip in late June, after all my exams are finished, with the school book club to the Harry Potter Warner Bros Studios, so that's gonna be a great, fun 'goodbye' for me. I'll definitely be back at Christmas though, for the Christmas bookclub session. They'll never get rid of me ;)

message 9: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Holly wrote: "I'm actually more in love with the feel of a library, rather than the books. My school library has basically been my haven for the last 4 years at my school, and it's really made a large impact on ..."

Ohhh, you want to make it a career? That's awesome, Holly! You'd be great at that. :D

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Love the library! It's a great place for new reads.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I have been a library lover since I was old enough to have a library card (age 5 maybe) -- and that's a long time ago! Shortly after I got my first full-time job (within a year after high school graduation), I became a bookstore fiend, but buying books has not kept me away from the library. I sometimes wish that I had chosen a career in the world of books, but alas I didn't, so I still borrow library books, order way too many on inter-library loan, and comfort myself by surrounding myself with stacks of TBRs. I'm definitely in this club!

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
Lol. Sandy just described Heaven.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Bumping an old thread, I'm a huge library addict :D I get all of my books from my local library-love them!! Actually heading there in a few minutes to get my book fix lol.

message 14: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett I also get most of my books from my local library, I can order in any books for a small fee.

message 15: by Celena (new)

Celena (theparisprincess) | 2 comments I love reading everyone's feelings about libraries and so relate. I work at a library but only for the last three years. As a staff member one of the perks is being able to have a few more on your hold list than regular borrowers so I always feel the need to take advantage of this, resulting in a bulging shelf of library books at home and another full shelf on hold for me at work. And then there's the books I can borrow as ebooks and I always have an audio book on the go in the car... I think it's so important to support your local library, so please keep up your addictions and I'll keep mine too!