Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Blurbs with Reviews: Should reviews be included? Can there be too many?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (last edited Jun 01, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Patrick Witz (writerwitz) | 21 comments Through Button Eyes - BLURB

Through Button Eyes is a collection of fourteen previously unpublished short stories that will take the reader on an emotional rollercoaster ride. The anthology embraces a smorgasbord of genres: literary fiction, roman à clef, romantic suspense, fantasy, action/adventure, memoir, dystopia, allegory, coming of age, sci-fi, thriller, tragedy, LGBT, and black comedy horror.

This short-fiction project had a unique birth. The wine was flowing and members of the Placer Gold Writers Group laughingly suggested a simple writing challenge for their next meeting. Several bottles later, the idea grew into a collection of short stories for publication. The challenge was simple. Every member was to write a story that included – in whatever quirky way – a specific plot point: a diminutive, seemingly innocuous… button!

Here are just a few of the dozens of pre-publication reviewer's comments:

“I loved this story!! It flowed seamlessly. Your character development is amazing. I fell in love with all of the characters. Very talented!!”

“What a wonderful, well written short story with great flow and continuity. The descriptive quality in the writing allowed the reader to visualize the characters and the action. Well done!”

“WOW, what a great idea for a story. The pace was good with the story moving well. The characters were not only believable, but I could most certainly get a mental picture of the what they looked and acted like.”

“Exciting, plausible, surprising and tragic. Totally realistic! A thrilling, strong ‘closing of book’ feeling at end. Highest rating is 10, I give this an 11!”

“Fabulous opening paragraph. Love, love, love your character descriptions. I immediately had a great visual in my mind of this character. You are am amazing writer! I thoroughly enjoyed this short story!! I could read your writing all day!”

“Easy to follow, thrilling, superlative, mesmerizing, outlandish, surprising, eerie, OMG! Engaging and strong words wove astounding visuals. An exciting thriller…could make a movie out of this!”

“I like the premise, and the story was very well written. The plot twist was FANTASTIC in every way. Overall, a very strong piece in my opinion.”

“The synopsis creates a sense of mystery. I really enjoyed this story and it had a great ending. It definitely held my interest from the beginning. The storyline flowed nicely and I didn’t know the ending until the very end. I think this story could be turned into a full length novel.”

“Wow! I'm reading this story thinking one thing and BAM! I honestly didn't see that one coming. It ended so abruptly, but that's good because I sat there thinking…what just happened? Really great job! You have wonderfully descriptive writing.”

“Thought provoking, emotional, and disturbingly real!”

Tara Woods Turner Amazon has a section for editorial reviews and you could list all of these in that section. But be aware, Amazon gives you one shot to edit or make changes to this section so make sure this is the best representation of your readers' responses. If you get reviews from a more attention getting or noteworthy source later on it will be very difficult to highlight. You could always put your current reviews on the section Amazon designates for the info usually found inside the flap.

Technically, blurbs and reviews only belong together on the book's inside flaps, the front matter or the back page. If the review is illustrious it can even go on the cover. Otherwise the editorial review section is best. Don't forget to list the most impressive sources first.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
Just a personal thing, but I'd leave the reviews off for a number of reasons.

1. Your blurb alone is enough to jog interest in a reader. It says all that needs to be said about the book.

2. Most of the reviews have typos, which can be off-putting to some readers. ("I could most certainly get a mental picture of the what they looked and acted like", "I loved this story!!", etc.) They're also pretty cliched.

3. The reviews lack any real information about the stories.

4. Along those lines, the blurb reads as if this is a collection of fourteen stories, but the reviews make it sound like one story.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Yup. I'd can the reviews. They add nothing, and my researches suggest that reviews in the blurb actually put potential readers off.

Gives an impression people don't like.

message 5: by Eva (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 90 comments If you're going for a book blurb on the front cover, that seems to be trending. I'd keep it short. If you subscribe to eReaders daily mailing list - those who are fortunate enough to get them, take full advantage. You'll also note that when it's applicable, authors will have noted on their front cover whether they're on some best-seller list.

If you don't toot your own horn--tastefully, no one else will.

All the best...

message 6: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments I have seen this done but personally, reviews in the blurb rub me the wrong way. If I wanted to consider reviews, they are there for me to find. Also, I'm not going to attach much creditability to reviews handpicked by the author.

As mentioned, there is a place for editorial reviews, but be aware of Amazon's guidelines on what is and is not an editorial review.

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments If I see that in a blurb I pass. It feels like someone's trying to form an opinion for me.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Thomas wrote: "If I see that in a blurb I pass. It feels like someone's trying to form an opinion for me."

I second that.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hiya,
I'm not exactly fit to comment on this but my immediate instincts tell me that...

Most readers will probably click on the little review thingy if they wanna see em. And I don't know about most readers but I totally sort them (look for 5 star only or whatevs). Personally, I feel like it muddies the waters. I actually dig your succinct little blurb and think that the reviews take the spotlight from it. I mean, if you had your heart set on it, maybe a single one-liner review? Yeah, dunno. Just my 2¢ :)

Hugs,
Ann

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 268 comments G.G. wrote: "Thomas wrote: "If I see that in a blurb I pass. It feels like someone's trying to form an opinion for me."

I second that."

And I third that! I don't think I've ever been positively influenced by reviews quoted on a book cover and I instinctively run a mile from anything that sounds like a hard sell.

message 11: by Shari (new)

Shari Sakurai (shari_sakurai) | 64 comments As a reader it would put me off so I wouldn't include them.