YA Kingdom Book Club discussion

When We Collided
This topic is about When We Collided
Books of the Month > June-When We Collided

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S61 (new) - added it

S61 (kingdombooks) Hey everyone! Our June BOTM is When We Collided by Emery Lord. Feel free to post your thoughts here on this book in future months too if you just get around to it then:)

SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO WRITE:
First you should introduce yourself, tell us what you rated the book, and link your blog/tumblr/insta/YouTube review if you have one!

After that it is up to you what to post. Some questions that you could answer include these:

How did you like Emery Lord's writing style?
Who was your favorite character?
Were your expectations met going into this?
Did you think the pace of this book was well done?
What was your favorite moment?
What surprised you the most about this book?
Will you consider rereading the book?
Did you like the romantic relationships in this book?
How long did it take you to finish it?
Have you ever read any similar book like this?

Obviously you could ask other people questions that you have if you want:)

Have fun!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin So far I'm loving this book!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Can't wait to read!

message 4: by Alyson (new) - added it

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 54 comments What is this book even about? I'm not familiar with this one.

message 5: by S61 (new) - added it

S61 (kingdombooks) Look the book up on GR for a summary:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 05, 2016 03:30PM) (new)

How did you like Emery Lord's writing style?
- I love Emery Lord. One of my fav authors!
Who was your favorite character?
- Vivi and Jonah (duh lol)
Were your expectations met going into this?
- That it would be a bit similar to say, ORS and TSOMAY (All be Emery Lord)
Did you think the pace of this book was well done?
- Yeah, I do. it wasn't all too fast and it wasn't dragging either
What was your favorite moment?
- Oh gosh, perhaps when Vivi throws (view spoiler)
What surprised you the most about this book?
- I think I was most surprised that hmm, this is hard, that, uh, ok i'll get to it, ugh, ok so, fine! I was most surprised that it didn't really elaborate on her old friends from Seattle? or that it Emery Lord never told us what the letter from her dad's wife was about
Will you consider rereading the book?
- I would, but not too soon. So many more books to read out there lol!
Did you like the romantic relationships in this book?
- Of course!
How long did it take you to finish it?
- 4hours give or take
Have you ever read any similar book like this?
- I just read Ever Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone, and the protagonist is dealing with OCD, Obsessive Control Disorder. And then maybe How My Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvator Doktorski because how their (view spoiler)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle Yang (michy_) | 14 comments WARNING: I got A LOT of spoilers in this so don't read unless you've finished the book.

I just finished the book last night. I would have finished it a lot earlier but I was in the middle of studying for a midterm and I was busy with a lot of other things as well, so I only had time to read one hour before bed every night. It was a nice and easy read which was definitely what I needed.

I gave the book about a 3.5-4/5 stars. I enjoyed it a lot though there was something about it that couldn't make it get a max score. It was different in a way that I never read any book with a character that had a bipolar disorder before, so I was still getting used to the way Vivi acts while I was reading it. Plus I can't really tell if I was bothered by how fast the relationship between Vivi and Jonah took off or not. In a way it does fit in with the story but I'm not always the biggest fan of super rushed relationships. I was just taken aback a bit at how early on in the book it began.
I did find their relationship to be really cute though, and I loved seeing Vivi develop a relationship between all the members in the Daniels family. I really loved Jonah's passion for cooking, and I found it so cute when he made lunch for Vivi that one time and dropped it off at her workplace!

One thing I would have like to see though is a small scene or two with Vivi trying to contact Ruby and begin the process of fixing her friendships. I know that she was returning to Seattle super soon and it'll probably be better to confront her friends about this in person, but I just thought it would've been a nice touch to add in something like that in the book (like trying to email Ruby or whatnot).
Also, although I did like the characters I unfortunately couldn't find a real favourite character in this one since I couldn't connect with any of them. Though I would probably say Ellie was the character I ended up liking slightly more than the rest because although she was only a side character, she played a pretty significant role in helping both Jonah and Vivi get the extra push they both needed for their lives.

I think I will consider reading this again one day, though probably in the far future. I will definitely check out Emery Lord's other books also :)