Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Eenenveertig brieven van de jonge kunstenaar
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Page Numbering Requests > Request for adding page number

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marloes (last edited Jun 01, 2016 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marloes Baren | 35 comments Dear librarians,

Some time ago I added a book but didn't have all the data and was unaware of the fact I would not be able to add anything later on.

The page number for 'Eenenveertig brieven van de jonge kunstenaar' (ISBN/EAN 9789079372164) should be 216.
In case other things need to be added, there is a clear overview on this website: http://www.pelskemper.nl/aanbod.htm

Thank you in advance!
Kind regards, Marloes

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 21805 comments Do you have the book yourself?
The publisher's page you linked to has 216 pages. Kb.nl, usually reliable for page counts, has 99 pages for the same isbn 978-90-79372-16-4. See http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/SET=185/TTL=1/...

message 3: by Marloes (last edited Jun 02, 2016 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marloes Baren | 35 comments I have the book yes.

I can understand why it is confusing. It's a very 'artsy' book, with a Japanese binding, and connected pages you need to 'open' as if they were real letters. Pages in the book are not numbered.
The publisher I think listed the actual number of pages, Kb.nl probably only counted the printed pages of the letters, leaving out the pages with letter introduction and only counting the actual letters themselves.

I find the choice of the Kb a bit odd, since in more traditional books the first pages for example (with motto, intro, publisher info etc) or pages with chapter introductions generally also go toward the page count. And the Kb generally sticks to that convention.

I also did a partial hand count, only looking at pages with print (also including letter introductions) and ended up with 80 a bit before the middle of the book. So I'm leaning more toward the publisher's approach than that of the Kb.
But then again, given this unconventional book, both approaches do seem defensible.

message 4: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 21805 comments Thanks for the explanation. I've added 216 pages, and left an explanation and a link to your post in the librarian note (visible for librarians on the edit page).
Also changed the binding to "Japanese binding".

message 5: by Christina J. (new)

Christina J. (misslumos) | 1 comments Hi, I would like to request that you add the page numbers to this book: The Go-Away Bird and Other Stories ISBN13: 9780140019124

The number of pages is 189. :)

Thank u!

message 6: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 21805 comments #5 Christina J. wrote: "Hi, I would like to request that you add the page numbers to this book: The Go-Away Bird and Other Stories ISBN13: 9780140019124

The number of pages is 189. :)

Thank u!"

Added the page count to the book (confirmed with Worldcat).

Please start a new thread next time, as this one is linked to a specific book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.