The Sword and Laser discussion

SO what are YOU drinking?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paul (last edited May 07, 2014 11:02AM) (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Hey lets help tom and Veronica out on their quest to be the worlds best drunk book podcasters :D

What are you drinking alcohol wise?

I've recently discovered that Evan Williams Honey reserve is very very good and insanely affordable next to say Jack Daniels and it's Honey Whiskey. Is also a lot less harsh. Its good over rocks or mixed with Ginger Ale.

If Its beer Guinness or Harp and I've Fallen in love with CB Craft Brewers; Joe Latte which is a coffee Vanilla Stout. Its from a local Micro brewery.

http://beerpulse.com/2013/11/cb-craft...

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pecoraro | 226 comments mostly Limeade or water. :)

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Tea :) Or water. Occasionally ginger beer.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments See Thats No Fun.

I drink Tea, Pepsi Max, Nos, Ginger Ale or Juice mostly but I'm talking about those times you indulge in an adult beverage.

message 5: by Paolo (new)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 51 comments Mezcal, straight. Chased with a cold beer. It´s all the rage in Mexico these days although it may be hard to find in the US.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Paul wrote: "See Thats No Fun.

I drink Tea, Pepsi Max, Nos, Ginger Ale or Juice mostly but I'm talking about those times you indulge in an adult beverage."

I don't. That was the point :)

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Mostly water. Iced tea. Sometimes a Coke. Less frequently a Yuengling.

message 8: by Tamahome (last edited May 07, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

Tamahome | 5994 comments Gerolsteiner mineral water. Wish it kept the bubbles longer.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric (eterrell3) | 5 comments I too tend to favor the various "flavored-whiskey" varieties. Jim Beam Honey and Fireball Whiskey are current faves. Also enjoy the various flavored "moonshines" that seem to be the rage these days. Midnight Moon Blueberry and Blackberry in particular do the trick for me. Jaegermeister always works too!

message 10: by Willow (new)

Willow (willowfire) | 5 comments Alcoholic beverages of choice include Mead, Cider,(especially cloudy English) and most drinks with Rum and a variety of cocktails. Non alcoholic favourites are black tea, coffee, and iced tea

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Single Malt Scotch. And good Bavarian/Franconian beer :-)

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2229 comments Diet Mountain Dew by the caselot. With dinner (Indian food, mostly), Reed's Extra-Sharp Ginger Brew. When I do have a more sophistimacated beverage, I tend towards stouts or porters.

message 13: by Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth (last edited May 07, 2014 12:40PM) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Louise wrote: "Paul wrote: "See Thats No Fun.

I drink Tea, Pepsi Max, Nos, Ginger Ale or Juice mostly but I'm talking about those times you indulge in an adult beverage."

I don't. That was the point :)"

And Ginger Ale is plenty of fun. I love that stuff! Though in Japan, I must admit I used to mix it with plum wine, which is a really yummy combo. I miss plum wine. I used to drink it a lot. It has a really low alcohol percentage and comes in cartons, and I pretty much treated it like fruit juice....that is a bad thing to admit, isn't it?

When I was in Edinburgh recently, I tried a little BenRiach 15 year old (Tawny Port) which turned out to be an oddly sweet tasting whiskey, brewed in tawny port casks for added flavour. There was something creme caramel about it. I swear, it was like desert and whiskey in a glass. :)

message 14: by Ben (new)

Ben Nash | 200 comments I'm usually a craft beer person, but I'm working through a 12 pack of Negra Modelo I picked up for Cinco de Mayo. I drink em with a fat wedge of lime shoved into each bottle.

At the moment, though, I'm drinking a smoothie -- the second one I've ever made!

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5994 comments I used to have the bookstore frappacinos every day. That was bad.

message 16: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 569 comments plenty of red wine when I'm not drinking cocktails at Locanda (best cocktails in SF!)

message 17: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 569 comments Paolo wrote: "Mezcal, straight. Chased with a cold beer. It´s all the rage in Mexico these days although it may be hard to find in the US."

Mezcal is not hard to find in California! You need it for a "Lost Monk" + lime, yellow chartreuse, cucumber, and 2-3 drops of chile tincture

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Yeah Mezcal is in every liquor store around here

message 19: by Paolo (new)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 51 comments That´s good to know... buy it! Drink it!

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments I prefer Tequila to Mezcal...Cabo Wabo :)

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 488 comments My local brewery, Bradfield, makes some truly stunning ales. I've just had their Farmer's Blonde, which is one of the best beers I have ever quaffed, and their Brown Cow is not far behind.

http://www.bradfieldbrewery.co.uk/

message 22: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments I've been on painkillers lately (major back injury and surgery and then revision surgery) so I haven't been able to drink. Mostly it's been water for me, sometimes I make it special with the Poland Spring sparkling water (tonight: pomegranate!).

When I can drink, I'm partial to bourbon (Woodford Reserve) and beer (I prefer stouts). I also brew my own beer...again, when not broken. :\ I miss being not broken.

message 23: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3429 comments Mod
Bundy, the best thing ever to come out of Queensland ;-)

message 24: by Adam (new)

Adam Gutschenritter (heregrim) | 107 comments I drink Southern Tier's beers. I haven't found one I haven't liked.

message 25: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments A friend gave me a bottle of Larceny bourbon and it's good, I'm liking it. I've also been digging Terrapin beers lately, especially the Golden Rye. As for wine, we're moving and thought it would be funny when we bought a bottle of a red called "House Wine" but it's actually very good!

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Griffin | 49 comments I drink LOTS of Dr Pepper. No alcohol for me!

message 27: by Ivi_kiwi (new)

Ivi_kiwi | 87 comments Koenig ludwig dark wheat beer for me.

message 28: by Pat (new)

Pat (patthebadger) | 100 comments Guinness is my go-to drink but do like a nice cask ale. I'm quite liking Fraoch (a heather beer brewed in Scotland) at the moment. And there's always room for a nice single malt at the end of the night.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 43 comments Fuller's Black cab stout or Crabbie's ginger beer is the alcohol of choice. If I really feel like having a nice drink I'll have some single malt or a daiquiri (if I want something sweet).

message 30: by Dharmakirti (last edited May 09, 2014 06:54AM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Lately, I've been on a bit of a gin kick. I'm particularly enjoying Far North Spirits Solveig gin as well as North Shore Distillery's Distiller's Gin #11 and Mighty Gin (an overproofed gin that makes excellent gimlets, imho).

Other than gin, my favorite drinking spot (Eat Street Social in Minneapolis) just put out their spring cocktail menu and I'm particularly enjoying a cocktail that features Pimm's and tequila.

I've also been imbibing a bit of Michter's rye whiskey.

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 488 comments Currently having a wee dram of Jura Turas-Mara single malt. Pure heaven in a glass.

message 32: by Chad (new)

Chad Huckabaa | 14 comments Really liking Jack Daniels' Tennessee Honey and Fireball. As far as beer goes, Hangar 24's Orange Wheat is my usual, although I am also a big fan of their Palmero. Recently had some of The Dudes Brewing's Grandma's Pecan which was outstanding as well.

message 33: by António (new)

António | 10 comments Beer. All kinds. I like to try them all :)

message 34: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 52 comments The cool Black Stuff in a warm pint and chilled Jameson.

When not having a taste, I drink Code Red, 5Hr's, and Monster, but the one without sugar—I know, like it really matters. I think my wife likes better when I drink booze instead of this crap. :)

message 35: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Always wine and often beer. Pinot for wines lately and for beer a local brew called St Arnolds which has many flavors.

message 36: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 3 comments Coffee, coffee, coffee! Espresso, lattes, and even some tea. :-) ☕️

message 37: by Ions (new)

Ions last night I enjoyed a Lagunitas' Nighttime ale! it was quite tasty!

message 38: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 462 comments I drink southern wine, which is known as sweet tea in other places. It's as hard as I get, lol.

message 39: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1502 comments I'm lucky enough to have a couple of really good local breweries, the best being Central Waters. They have one multiple gold medals for variations of there Bourbon Barrel Stout. I also travel a lot for work, and when I'm in different areas, I like to go with more regional and local brews, have found some good ones that way.

message 40: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments Glenfarclas scotch when I want to linger over a drink. Maker's Mark and Diet Coke when I just want to drink.

message 41: by Ken (last edited May 13, 2014 04:12PM) (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments Shipwreck rum, on the rocks, is divine.

beer, I like me a Guinness or an Old Rasputin. Any great stout or porter.

message 42: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 569 comments It was too hot in sf today so we drank rose (put an accent on it) on our stoop

message 43: by elie88 (new)

elie88 | 28 comments Paolo wrote: "Mezcal, straight. Chased with a cold beer. It´s all the rage in Mexico these days although it may be hard to find in the US."

nice

message 44: by elie88 (new)

elie88 | 28 comments last drink I had was red wine, but I usually drink Bloody Maries, Tequila, Long island Ice tea, A lot of Whiskey,Arak, I use to be into jagher when I was younger, now after a night in hell, not so much...I usually stick to long island ice tea these days, and the occasional shot of tequila...

message 45: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Been on a hard cider kick lately. The commercial stuff is difficult to tolerate though, as most of it is flowered up with all sorts of non-apple product. Thank goodness my uncle makes his own hard artisan cider, so yay family! In fact, we're considering planting the farm to cider trees.

message 46: by Daniel (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Just had a cup of hot milk with cookies. Mmm. Great stuff.

message 47: by John (john) (new)

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 129 comments Am slowly drawing down the lovely bottle of Oban I got for Christmas.
this is a bit of a stretch but it mentions The Teleportation Accident, which was one of my favorite reads last year... http://www.bustle.com/articles/58427-...

message 48: by RuthAnn (new)

RuthAnn | 9 comments I've been into Mules lately...the Moscow variety with Vodka, the Southern variety with Bourbon,or my favorite, the Dark and Stormy variety with rum

message 49: by Dharmakirti (last edited Jan 23, 2015 11:51AM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments RuthAnn wrote: "I've been into Mules lately...the Moscow variety with Vodka, the Southern variety with Bourbon,or my favorite, the Dark and Stormy variety with rum"

Try the Peruvian version: chilcano de pisco. It is a mule style cocktail that uses pisco as the base spirit. It's so good. I drank way too many of them this past summer.

message 50: by Dharmakirti (last edited Jan 23, 2015 11:47AM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Over the summer I was at a dinner that featured cognac from Pierre Ferrand and I became an instant fan.

I've since purchased a bottle each of Pierre Ferrand Réserve, Pierre Ferrand Sélection des Anges and Pierre Ferrand Esprit des Dieux and I've enjoyed them all very much, especially the Sélection des Anges.

« previous 1