A Good Thriller discussion

Authors > Ask Laurie Stevens A Question

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 8994 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Laurie a member here, has agreed dates for a Q & A.

Make a note for Tuesday 3rd June.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Dougherty (goodreadscomvictoria_dougherty) | 61 comments Thanks, Sean. And thanks to Laurie. I'll be on a cross-country flight, but wish I could be a part of it.

message 3: by Sean, Moderator (last edited May 07, 2014 07:28AM) (new)

Victoria,

you could also post a question now, and read when you come back. You never know Laurie might answer your question before, or on the day.

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? (whatchatreadin) | 2099 comments Mod
Another author I have to purchase!

message 5: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sorry, guilty, me too.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Dougherty (goodreadscomvictoria_dougherty) | 61 comments Thanks, Sean.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5561 comments Hi Laurie. I recently had the pleasure of reading The Dusk Before Dawn. Wow, this is a great debut novel! I had a good feeling about this read when the first murder was accomplished in the Prologue!

I am a recently retired MD and was impressed with your knowledge of Psychiatry, Laurie. I found the sessions between Gabe and Dr. B very believable. I also thought Dr. B's insights into the cases were also very realistic. How did you research the psychiatric issues? I am hoping Dr. B hasn't totally "fixed" Gabe as I would love to see more of his demons
in the next book!

I am always interested in knowing the favorite authors of authors--great way to get good recommendations. Who are your favs to read? Did any author in particular influence your writing?

I am looking forward to more Gabe McRay novels. Any idea at this point how many there might be? Do you plan any standalones?

Thank you so much, Laurie.

Chris
I

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? (whatchatreadin) | 2099 comments Mod
Laurie,

I have not had the pleasure of reading any of your books, yet. But I did a little research on you, and found out some interesting things.
My question:

How does life in TV/Film compare to being an author and which do you prefer?

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments Christine wrote: "Hi Laurie. I recently had the pleasure of reading The Dusk Before Dawn. Wow, this is a great debut novel! I had a good feeling about this read when the first murder was accomplished in the Prolo..."

My hats are always off to the professional, Chris -- thanks for being one! And thanks for your question. I researched the psychology behind trauma by reading on my own, gathering my questions, then going straight to the professionals who work with PTSD and trauma victims. I'm also a dedicated fan of Alfred Adler's school of Individual Psychology. And no, Gabe is not "fixed". Our issues always seem to pop up here and there, and for Gabriel, the cases he works always seem to "trigger" his issues;) FYI: Deep into Dusk Deep into Dusk (Gabriel McRay, #2) by Laurie Stevens just won the IPPY award for best ebook mystery/thriller this last weekend, so I'm supposing Gabe's not alone in his demon battles. The third book, Mask of Midnight, will be out in the Fall of this year and in that one Victor Archwood, Gabe's nemesis, makes his reappearance. Thanks for all the good feedback and questions, Chris!

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments Lorrea(Threein3) wrote: "Laurie,

I have not had the pleasure of reading any of your books, yet. But I did a little research on you, and found out some interesting things.
My question:

How does life in TV/Film compare..."

Hi Lorrea,
Writing for stage and film and then novels are so different. With theater you always keep in mind the actors and how they can relate to each other (with your words) onstage and live. Television has strict formats and I probably like that the least. Only because by the time a producer, director, and actors have had their way, the finished product can look almost nothing like what you originally envisioned. I really do like writing novels better, but I enjoy the camaraderie that writing for stage and TV bring because I usually have collaborators for the scripts.
Thanks for allowing me to think on that one!

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments Mike wrote: "Laurie,

First of all let me say how much I enjoyed The Dusk Before Dawn. Terrific book.

Two of my favorite authors who write crime novels set in Southern California are Joseph Wambaugh and T..."

Thank you, Mike, for reading and commenting. I have read J. Wambaugh but not T. Jefferson Parker (I will have to see what I've missed!). I like Thomas Harris and Tess Gerritsen. And, believe it or not, a big influence on me is Stephen King. I enjoy that inner dialogue put in italics in his books, and if you'll notice, I do the same thing.
Thanks again, so much, for your comment.

message 12: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Hi Laurie,

I am guilty, sorry, not had time to read one of your books, but I will have some on my ever growing bookshelf !!!

I hope members stop recommending books/authors to me...LOL

What books and authors do you enjoy reading...

message 13: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 48 comments Laurie,

I saw a reminder Sean put on another thread and stopped in to see how the Q&A is going.

Christine's comment was so favorable, I went immediately to your book's page, and from there to your Kirkus Review and award. Very impressive! Congratulations!

I purchased your book today. I won't have it read in time for this Q&A, but this thread did introduce me to your work. And for that, I am thankful.

All the best,
Cynthia (The Garrett half of Garrett Smith)

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5561 comments Laurie, thank you so much for doing this Q&A and for answering my questions. I think that is great that you approached actual psychiatrists in your research. It's very clear from your writings that you knew what you were talking about. That is not always the case. Also congratulations on the awards won by both your books. They are clearly deserved. Best wishes for a long and successful writing career. I will be following along!

Chris

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments Sean wrote: "Hi Laurie,

I am guilty, sorry, not had time to read one of your books, but I will have some on my ever growing bookshelf !!!

I hope members stop recommending books/authors to me...LOL

What books..."

I think it's wonderful that your bookshelf is growing -- music to an author's ears! I read almost everything -- from research material to a commercial bestseller. Right now I'm reading an indie romance novel written by man (Sebastian Cole) called "The Sand Dollar". Romance novels are not usually my thing, (I prefer an edgier thriller) but I was curious as to what the author's voice might be like in this genre. The last book I read was about zombie ghosts!

message 16: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments Christine wrote: "Laurie, thank you so much for doing this Q&A and for answering my questions. I think that is great that you approached actual psychiatrists in your research. It's very clear from your writings th..."

Thanks, Chris. I really enjoyed this.

message 17: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments The Dark Before Dawn by Laurie Stevens

Thanks so much for hosting this Q & A. What a great group!
If you are Facebook folks, please "like" my Facebook page and you'll get info on the next book, giveaways, and interesting tidbits I uncover as I do research at
www.facebook.com/lauriestevensbooks

Thanks again!

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stevens | 9 comments Garrett wrote: "Laurie,

I saw a reminder Sean put on another thread and stopped in to see how the Q&A is going.

Christine's comment was so favorable, I went immediately to your book's page, and from there to y..."

Thanks so much, Cynthia. Do let me know how you liked it!
Laurie

message 19: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Thanks Laurie very much.