Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Speed reading - fun?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Marcus (gregmarcus) | 2 comments I love to read. I'm honking about learning speed reading for professional reasons. I'm worried this will kill the joy in reading. What is your experience?

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Dossett (whisperingwillo) Greg wrote: "I love to read. I'm honking about learning speed reading for professional reasons. I'm worried this will kill the joy in reading. What is your experience?"

I think it's up the individual. I can read fast. I think my years of reading and soaking up the stories have made this possible. I look at it more like this, I can read more stories out there, which is good for me and authors. LOL!!!

message 3: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 327 comments That kind of speed reading is really skimming for information, and you should be able to "turn it off" when you are reading fiction.

message 4: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 123 comments I've wondered about that same thing myself. I've never been taught actual "speed reading," but my understanding is that it is, as D.C. said, skimming for the critical information. I would think you could choose whether or not to do that. Occasoinally when I am reading fiction and can't wait to find something out, I'll more or less speed read through it and often go back and re-read more slowly to savor the details leading up to whatever it was I was dying to know.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments I can speed read a normal book but don't because more times then none I find myself going back to pages wondering what's going on lol.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg Marcus (gregmarcus) | 2 comments Thanks all

message 7: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 387 comments speed read is only fun if you are reading leading to an exam :) I've forgotten how that feel to be honest :)