The Diverse Shelf discussion

General > So, who are you? (Introduction thread)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Byron Gann (thedahlingdarling) | 60 comments Mod
Greetings and salutations!

Please take a moment to tell us about yourself and what you like to read!

I'll go ahead and start.

I'm Byron Ann. I'm 24 years old and currently living in Alabama where I go to school for anthropology with hopes of (someday, fingers crossed) getting my degree in linguistics. I work in customer service currently, have for the last 8 years. It's not bad work, but not great.

I spend most of my time playing video games and reading - or at least thinking about reading. I seem to have more time to think about doing it than actually doing it now-a-days.

I read a lot of young adult books (you're never too old for a good YA novel), urban fantasy, high fantasy, and mystery novels. I really love series. Stand alone books are great - but falling in love with characters and finding out the adventure is not over, well that's a great feeling.

Diverse books are important to me because as a queer individual I spent most of my childhood not knowing that other people had the same struggles, I spent most of my childhood not knowing I was normal because even the books I escaped into didn't acknowledge I was real.

I was inspired to start this group in response to the #WeNeedDiverseBooks movement ( Check them out here! ) currently happening on Tumblr and Twitter and while I have no official affiliation to the group, I feel it's an important message to send and one more voice in the crowd is bound to help. :)

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (mabith) | 33 comments Mod
Hello! I'm Meredith, I'm 29, I'm disabled and bisexual. Currently living in my home state, West Virginia. When I could still work I ran the local, indepedent bookstore with my sister.

I'm not able to get out much so I spend most of my time reading. I read a bit of most genres though I'm happier with non-fiction, generally. I actually use LibraryThing way more than Goodreads, in terms of communities and keeping a catalog of books I own. I love my paper book collection, even though mostly I need to use audiobooks.

I'm a crafter, mostly embroidery and knitting. I design and sell my own cross-stitch patterns. I do a fair bit of cooking as well.

Soccer is a great passion and lately I spend a lot of time explaining the game to my niece and nephew, to prepare them for the upcoming World Cup.

Diverse books are important to me because the world is diverse but we don't all live in diverse communities, because disability is not life-ending or an aberration, because representation is important for everyone.

message 3: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello fellow spoonie, good to have you here. Welcome to the group.

I've never heard of LibraryThing, I just checked it out and I think that could be a big help in keeping up with the books i'm currently buried in lol. XD

message 4: by Meredith (new)

I've never heard of LibraryThing, I just checked it out and I think that could be a big help in keeping up with the books i'm cu..."

I love it. I think the average age is probably a bit older than Goodreads. Plus I really like having my collection cataloged there where I can add my own tags. I've grown really attached to the community there. Plus at Christmas there's Santa Thing, a secret santa book exchange you can sign up for.

message 5: by Kaye (new)

Kaye | 1 comments Hi! I'm Kaye, I'm 21 and I'm a Muslim girl who wears more hats than I actually realized in the world of YA - including YA Interrobang writer, #WeNeedDiverseBooks campaign team member, and intern for Pooja Menon of Kimberley Cameron and Associates.

Books are my life. I constantly speak on diversity in books because, as a Muslim girl and a person of color, I feel that need for diversity to transcend the border of being an "other".

We are not others. We shouldn't have to constantly ask for our space and our voices to be heard and acknowledged.

I can't wait to see the great things this group will accomplish! Kudos to Byron for starting it! <3

message 6: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Welcome Kaye! It's so great to have you here with us, and thank you for your vote of confidence hehe I'm really just stumbling along the best I can but I hope I can make something grand of this. :)

message 7: by Lindsy (new)

Lindsy | 3 comments Hi All!

I'm Lindsy and I'm 23 year old from Seattle. I have a B.A. in Psychology and History and will hopefully earn a PhD in Clinical Psychology. I'm specifically hoping to work with at-risk youth.

I'm an avid reader and love Fantasy and Non-Fiction, but I will give anything a chance. I'm the weirdo who needs to touch all the books in the bookstore.

I'm also a total soccer nut! I can usually be found trying to coerce friends and family into watching games with me. Sometimes I worry that I will never love anyone as much as I love the Seattle Sounders

As a straight, white, cisfemale, I have never had to fight to see myself represented in what I read. There are so many books written specifically for me, and this is a huge problem because it allows people like me to pretend that we are the only ones with stories worth telling. I also know that simply acknowledging that we need diverse books isn't enough. People like me need to be especially vocal in this because those who are underrepresented shouldn't have to take on the publishing industry by themselves.

message 8: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand Hi guys! I'm Virginia (or Ginnie if that's easier) and I'm a lover of all fiction and a wannabe author of lgbt and other fiction. My dream is to make a living writing and maybe selling my own and other indi books at fairs and stuff.

I'm a lesbian and on the autistic spectrum so it's hard to find fiction that talks about people like me, but I also love reading about people with different experiences who I might never meet in real life.

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Hi, Kaye, Lindsy, and Virginia!

Also nice to see another soccer fan!

message 10: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Welcome Ginnie and Lindsy! It's nice to meet you and we're happy to have you here.

@Lindsy, don't worry. I'm the same weirdo XD

@Ginnie, do you mind Ginnie or would you prefer Virginia? I just think Ginnie is really adorable, oops.

message 11: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Nottingwood | 1 comments Salutations all! My name is Eileen Jay Nottingwood, E.J. for short. I am an LGBT author, with one published novella ("Zenith") so far. I haven't completely determined my own sexual orientation thusfar, but I enjoy writing love stories, so the gender thing doesn't really matter to me.

I look forward to enjoying this group!

message 12: by Meredith (new)

Hello, EJ, nice to meet you!

message 13: by Asma'u (new)

Asma'u Shaheedah (shaheedah) | 1 comments hello everyone. I am Asma'u Shaheedah a straight female, author of Solitude, a collection of contemporary poetry. I love reading and writing african poetry, feminism etc and i love a wide variety of diverse books.

message 14: by Violeta (new)

Violeta (mywaitingplace) Hi,My name is Violeta I live in Chicago, IL, I joined the group because the topic is one that really interests me. It doesnt seem like a very active group but I hope we can get some activity going on here

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi there,

My name's Linda and I liked the sound of this group. It is something that I have thought about, the lack of representation for certain groups in society, and as a reader, and would be writer, I am interested in opening my boundaries to be inclusive.. should prove interesting to find out how other's experience life. These days, I have a disability, so that hampers me, and my progress in life..

message 16: by Alessandro (new)

Alessandro | 1 comments Hi everybody,
I am an author and storyteller from Rome, Italy.
Diversity is my life in every sense, real and fictional on my stories.
I like to say I was born between two "Souths", the world's one, Africa, and Italy South, Naples. Or you may read as my parents, two brave pioneers in Italy as a biracial couple in the last century.
This was the inspiration for my first book, Sunset, a kind of mask about the son of Darkness and Light, a child born between different worlds, between day and night, black and white a many other things.
I am a compulsive reader too and maniacal theatre plays, movies and tv series watcher.

Happy new year!

Alessandro Ghebreigziabiher

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather - Just Geeking By (justgeekingby) | 1 comments Hi everyone :)

I'm Heather, I'm originally from London and now live in Glasgow, Scotland. I'm a pop culture and disability awareness blogger and content creator who blogs about all things geeky, living with seven chronic illnesses and my love for beauty products. I'm a massive bookworm and regularly review books, with fantasy, science fiction, horror and urban fantasy being my favourite genres. As a disabled bisexual woman I'm always on the lookout for diverse books and recently found out about We Love Diverse Books (so love that this group was founded as a result of that movement!).

I'm a massive geek, gamer and have research superpowers. I'm also a bit of an overachiever with two undergrad degrees (Art History, and English Literature) and was planning a career as a Librarian when my seventh chronic health condition, ME/CFS came along and quite literally kicked my ass as I was studying for my Masters in Information and Library Studies. I was very fortunate to have a fantastic and supportive supervisor (who was also chronically ill) and department that allowed me to go on medical leave for the full time, so I was able to finish my dissertation and graduate with merit!

My other health conditions are hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hEDS), chronic migraines, asthma, IBS, anxiety and depression, and rhinitis.

You can find me talking about all of these openly on my blog at Just Geeking By - http://geeking-by.net

And I'm on social media as justgeekingby, feel free to come say hi!