Our Shared Shelf discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buffalotinchen (new)

Buffalotinchen | 26 comments I liked her chapter on abortion and the many questions it raises for women in common. Also, maybe, it encourages women to make the right choice for themselves, not for society. Some also might be interested in the procedure and options itself.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Saga (glassesandburnteyelashes) | 4 comments @Buffalotinchen I really liked her take on abortion. She explained from her own experience what she thinks about if, and I consider that freedom to choose is the key. Moreover, it is topic not enough discussed. Thenvoices an opinions of governments and religions are clearly heard but it is not the case of the women who went through it. I am really thankful for this chapter because it can be extremely useful to other women facing the same situation.

message 3: by Lorelai (new)

Lorelai Berry (lorelai_raven) | 31 comments I really liked her chapter on abortion as well. This was the first time I have had an opportunity to read about what abortion is really like. I have never been in a situation where I have had to make a decision like that (and hopefully never will be), but I really appreciated someone finally being real with us and telling us exactly what it's like. I think it was really brave of her to be so open and honest. I hope that this will encourage others to tell their stories, so women can make informed decisions about what's right for them.

message 4: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments I think it's commonly thought that if a person is pro choice, it automatically translates to pro abortion. It doesn't. I know several who are pro choice all the way, but who would never have an abortion themselves.

I'm very much pro choice because I think it's a fundamental human right to claim ownership of one's own body including sex cells, but I have absolutely no idea of what I would do myself, were I faced with an unexpected pregnancy.

Like Emma said, it was brave of Moran to write of her own experience.

message 5: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen (henrietteterkelsen) I'm definitely Pro choice and I have had two pregnancy scares when I was about 17 or 18. Had I been pregnant one of those times, I am pretty sure I would have chosen an abortion.

Now, at the age of 31 with two children and absolutely no wish to have more kids, I know I wouldn't have an abortion.

I loved this chapter of the book! It made me reflect in new ways and it made me consider my reasons for not wanting an abortion even though I don't want more kids.

message 6: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Count me three (yeah, well, many more than that really, hehe) on just being firmly pro-choice while not necessarily pro-abortion. I've always thought that it's one of those things that, for a variety of reasons, you really do not want to see yourself having to make a real decision about. I'm guessing that the toll, mental health wise, will be much heavier for some women in comparison to others. I hope I never have to find out what it feels like.

message 7: by A. (new)

A. B (aimpie) | 7 comments If a woman already has one child, two, three or four and this current pregnancy was complicated and life endangering, and she wanted to have an abortion to ensure survival so she could care for her children who are already on this earth... Would she still receive hate by bystanders at the abortion clinics? Yes :/
It's interesting to me that so many people think calling these women names and spewing hate at them is going to make them choose not to abort. Hate is never the answer.
Creating a safe and nurturing environment for women and children will lower abortion rates, sex education, abortion and birth and maternity education, and advancing in maternal care technology and knowledge to reduce maternity deaths and pregnancy complications will also reduce abortions.
I wish women didn't have to go through so much just to stay safe with a choice they made, for whatever reasons they made it <3 we aren't meant to judge them through it but love them through it.

Pro choice, not pro abortion. I love women and children, therefore I want them to be safe.

message 8: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments It escapes me now who said that many anti-abortion are in fact only pro-embryo/fetus/newborn, but in pro-child/youth/adult they are absent. The same fervour in anti-abuse and anti-poverty etc. never seem to exist. I thought this was one of the most splendid points ever made on this particular topic.

The other favourite of mine is still how we honour the brain-dead/dead and their wishes (organ harvesting) more than a woman, who is pregnant with the wish to abort. It just doesn't make any sense.

message 9: by Indigo (new)

Indigo (indigo_denovan) | 96 comments Aglaea wrote: "It escapes me now who said that many anti-abortion are in fact only pro-embryo/fetus/newborn, but in pro-child/youth/adult they are absent. The same fervour in anti-abuse and anti-poverty etc. neve..."

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment Aglaea. They are not pro-life, they are pro-forced-birth. That is all. *heavy sighs*

I am pro-choice myself, and it is solely up to the mother-to-be what they do with their body. I don't say "woman" because there are women who are not able to get pregnant. I don't use "her/she" and use instead "they/them" because there are men who are able to get pregnant and become mothers and fathers in their way too.

As a transman I am still able to get pregnant and I know that at this age, with the health issues that I have, my inability at present to even be a committed parent due to my health issues forcing me in bed most days, I would get an abortion because I simply would not be able to give the child the life they deserve. I would not go through the pregnancy just to give them up for adoption because there are SO MANY children in the adoption agency and in foster care who need homes already, so terribly tragically many, that the organizations cannot keep up with it, do it a huge disservice, and I really do NOT want to bring out another human just to shove it into that cruel system like all the other poor children out there. We as a species are horribly overpopulated as it is. We are NOT in demand of more humans to be pumped out without care or regard for the consequences of our actions.

That being said, if people want to have children, then let them have children and make sure they really DO treat the children alright and are not abusive. And for crissakes let the LGBT+ couples be able to adopt and foster children and stop getting in their way just because they're LGBT+ and not heterocisexual.

However, in the future, should my health issue get better and I end up in a safe, stable, loving and supportive marriage with a wonderful man, I would seriously consider either having a child of my own then, or fostering a child as well. Just because I'd get an abortion now due to my current life situation doesn't mean I won't want a kid later and choose differently then.

Pro-choice means whatever you choose that is best for YOU as well as the baby, you chose it and do it. It's YOUR body, YOUR life, and soon-to-be YOUR child. YOU choose as the mother-to-be what to do with that. Nobody else has the right to dictate to you or force you to do something that is not in your best interest. YOU decide. Not them. And if you ain't the mother in question? Give suggestions all you want but the instant you turn more demanding, ordering, forcing, or the like, butt the hell out. It ain't your body. So shut up!

That's my belief at least. My apologies if I came on a bit strong. I am just SICK of seeing so much abuse around this topic that it comes out in anger in here.

message 10: by Aglaea (last edited Jul 23, 2016 04:12AM) (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Yeah sorry, I should have said "person" not "woman".

Well, all I can say once again is if people invested as much of their energy on fixing themselves as they do on fixing, correcting, belittling, hating, abusing etc. others, we'd little by little live on a rather glorious planet. But it is of such little interest to fix oneself before fixing others apparently.

message 11: by Marina (new)

Marina | 314 comments https://medium.com/@serpent849/what-i... I wrote what more or less happened to be my first blog post. ironically it references Caitlin Moran, even though if anyone has seen me here before they know how problematic I consider some of her work.

message 12: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Marina wrote: "https://medium.com/@serpent849/what-i... I wrote what more or less happened to be my first blog post. ironically it references Caitlin Moran, eve..."

Even if you're not a blogger per se, which is actually a term that I wouldn't particularly strive to attain for myself (unfairly so, perhaps!), I think it's valuable to make your own voice heard, Marina! I also appreciate that you included the perspective of AFAB expectant parents and their right to equally choose what they believe it's best for them, as well as the fact that them not identifying as female does not clash with their pregnancy, at least not in the pejorative / repulsed reaction it tends to get from a conservative standpoint. I must say that when I was younger I used to not really understand this last aspect. It was mainly due to my lack of knowledge about transgenderism, but I wouldn't really understand why these men would want to experience pregnancy, as I'd imagine this would only add to their dislike of their body. My take on the whole issue was certainly in need of some learning and reflection! We do very little good to complex issues when, in reflecting about them, we fail to acknowledge this complexity by lacking knowledge and facts to support our arguments. While I sure still have a lot of learning to do, I am happy to say that I have since read more and will continue to do so in order to better grasp those realities that are not my own.

Back to the strict topic of abortion, and although I am late to the party, one million times yes to Indigo's post. I just don't really get why the insistence on fixed gender identities, choices regarding childrearing, etc. For Pete's sake, I wish I knew for sure what I'll be doing the next year and I don't. Why on earth do I need to swallow this whole identity deal, among other hugely important issues, right at the beginning of my life? At any other point, actually? The right moment to bear a child might not be this one, but what about ten years later? Five years earlier? Let people be.