What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Invasive Procedures
This topic is about Invasive Procedures
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-Fi - Scientist takes over human minds by uploading his mind to carry out his work. [s]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by N.V. (last edited May 07, 2015 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments *Fully updated description and title, please re-read!*

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find out the name of the book or author of a novel from possibly the early to late 90s. This book is about a scientist who goes rogue and creates a way to control a person by sharing his saliva with them (such as through a kiss on the hand or forehead). He spends some time building up a small army of people who were once homeless. the scientist makes two of these homeless men his henchmen, who do a lot of his dirty work for him.

Eventually, the scientist creates a chip with a program that is embedded into the people he has controlled. The purpose being that near the end of the book, all of the chips would activate at once, effectively making all of the people act like the scientist. They would, once the chip turned on, carry out and finish the mad scientist's "evil"" work.

A man and a woman (possibly epidemiologists or some other scientists) follow and track the scientist down near the middle of the book. The man is caught and a chip gets put into his head. Later in the book, all of the infected people take a bus/caravan to an abandoned hanger out in the middle of the (Nevada or Arizona) desert, where they wait for the countdown until the chip turns on.

At the very last second, while the images memories, and likeness of the mad scientist is being uploaded into the mans brain,he is able to stick something into the chip (on himself at the back of the head), making the chip and the mind control to stop working on him. The novel ends by rounding these people up, while the man recovers from the removal of the chip and the (drug?) that came from the saliva.

The setting could be San Francisco or somewhere out west; I originally thought it was DC, but I remembered the detail about the hanger in the desert, so hopefully that helps too!

Thank you!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2000 comments This makes me think of Greg Bear, who has been writing SF-tinged thrillers laterly. Perhaps Vitals or Mariposa?

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments Andy-

Funny that you mention these books, because I own both of them - they are indeed very similar to this! Unfortunately, vitals isnt it. I think you might be on the right track for the title though!

Much appreciated,

-Nick

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2000 comments Sorry I didn't get the right ones. There are sites around that will recommend "similar books" - maybe if you enter "Vitals" or "Mariposa" the book you're looking for will come up.

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments Bump, if allowed to.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Nick--bumping is not only allowed--it's encouraged. At least, as long as you don't bump it hourly. Every 30 to 90 days is the usual length, so you are right on time for the bump.

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments Bumping in hopes that some new people will see if they have any idea!

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2000 comments How about Innerverse by John DeChancie Innerverse

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments Hi Andy,

This is really close, but I just read a snippet and synop - its REALLY close to the actual story line, minus the futuristic eutopia. I wonder if the book im thinking of was influenced by Innerverse.

Thanks again Andy.

-Nick

message 10: by Andy (last edited Aug 14, 2014 07:21PM) (new)

Andy Love | 2000 comments Glad to help - hopefully you'll find it soon (also, it's possible that you've combined two different books in your memory - it's happened to me).

message 11: by N.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments I thought I would add to what I remember:

-The scientist picks up homeless people to perform his tests on.
- The scientist has two henchmen who were formerly homeless.
-The scientist attempts to achieve transcendence by implanting a chip into every host he captures so that they become one super group to carry out his instruction.
- The main character is infected and gets a chip implanted into him, but his is defective and he is able to destroy the chip.

I remember so much.. just not the damn title!! ugh, this has bothered me for so long now!

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4713 comments This book seems to fall more into the horror genre, but maybe Midnight?

Do you remember anything about the cover?
Any other sci-fi elements, like androids, space travel, etc?
Was it part of a series?

message 13: by D.M. (last edited Aug 31, 2014 02:44PM) (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments This is a Jack Chalker book. I don't know which one, but the main character getting affected is one of his books. eidt: might be too science fiction and too old for this, but he's very much about this kind of mind control.

message 14: by N.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments Thanks to both of you! Jack has over 42 books, I'll have to take a peek and see.

As for dean Koontz, I know it's definitely not one of his. The cover was plain, and the setting was modern day DC area I believe. The main character is supposed to be a biotech guy from the cdc or some other government agency. I don't know if it was part of a series because I was given the one book to borrow.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott (smchure) | 77 comments If you're going to look at Chalker, start with the G.O.D. Inc series; that sounds like the closest match.

message 16: by N.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments I was really hoping this was going to be it, but alas, none of them are the book I am looking for. I am beginning to think I dreamed this novel up! Thanks again for help.

message 17: by N.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments Bumping just to see if any fresh eyes have any insight!

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynnich) | 39 comments You may wish to amend your thread. I don't recognize anything but usually just skim threads. Took a look because of the Sci-fi.

Suggestion: "mid-2000's Sci-Fi thriller, FBI agent tracking scientist with DNA slave drug.

message 19: by N.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments @Cynthia,

Thanks, I took your suggestion in stride!

message 20: by N.V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments I updated the initial post to add further detail into what I remember. Hope this helps - any ideas, friends?

message 21: by N.V. (last edited Jun 10, 2015 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.V. Cefalo (nvcefalo) | 16 comments YES!

I found it!!

It is Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card & Aaron Johnston.

My memory is really bad on the time - it was from 2008 not the early 2000's. I overlooked it when I was searching because the synopsis provided is so vague that I brushed past it.

MODS: What do I do next to get this to solved/shelved?

Thank you all for your help with this adveenture!!!

:D :D

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30843 comments Mod
Congrats N.V.!

Here's the GR link - Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card & Aaron Johnston.