Reader's Ink discussion

Where'd You Go, Bernadette > Question 3: Format

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Where'd You Go, Bernadette used a combination of traditional prose, emails, reports, faxes, and you name it to tell its story. Did this format help or hinder the book's style and tone?

message 2: by Carol (last edited May 06, 2014 03:11PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Some of my favorite books are in the epistolary format. I can easily get involved in this type of book. One that comes to mind is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society..." I love love love that book. This (Bernadette's) book used different mediums and using today's technology makes it a more fascinating type of book to read. Another great book is 84, Charing Cross Road. I just loved this one too. I was looking at reviews of "Guernsey," they had other suggested books if you like this one. And "84, Charing Cross Road" was one. It is a fairly short read, and absolutely endearing. Then I found out they had a DVD of the same book with a much younger Sir Anthony Hopkins, Ann Bankroft, and Dame Judy Dench. So, I read, and I watched, and the DVD is near verbatim from the book. I feel like I'm sitting down chatting with good and dear friends, as I do with Guernsey. The bookstore is open about 40 years, and their communication goes on for over 20 years. Wonderful and precious read. Definitely recommend.