The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > I hink I have GLF...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariawb) | 21 comments I fear I may be suffering from Great Literature Fatigue.

Since 2010, I've read Riddle-Master of Hed, Prince of Nothing-trilogy and the first two books of the following Aspect-Emperor trilogy and I spent a year reading Wheel of Time - plus some lighter YA stuff and a few re-reads. Now, I'm at book 8 of 10 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and I'm reading a lot slower than usual. I think I need something lighter when I'm done with these, 'cause even though they're great books, my brain is getting a little fed up with the epics, I think.

I'm gonna go for Hunger Games. I loved the movies, so it's an easy pick.

Anyone else ever get this feeling?

~Maria

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) haha, great post. I find myself having to do the same thing when reading especially if it's a very long, deep series or book. Those little break books are great to recharge before moving on to something more difficult.

Jim Butcher's dresden files are like that for me. I love those books and they are great stories but they are very quick, easy reads. I also like to throw in some mysteries like from Robert Crais or Elmore Leonard, which I can always enjoy but don't take so much out of me or hurt my brain. Iron Druid Chronicles from Kevin Hearne is another great one

message 3: by Ubikuberalles (new)

Ubikuberalles Wow. I can see how you can get fatigue. Epic reading indeed.

I tend to vacillate between reading novels and reading short stories. I read a lot of novels but I eventually grow weary of them, especially if they are particularly long novels. I then switch to reading short stories for a while. Eventually I get tired of short stories too so I then start reading novels again.

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 33 comments I do too! I read lots then all I want to do is go on the computer or watch TV... What I do is I make myself not read for two days or read a really good book that I've already read, something captivating and easy going. After that, I'm back on track! Don't feel pressured to read though, like for the Goodreads Challenge or something - reading should be fun!

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay Naen (Jay214) | 5 comments I know exactly how you feel. A Song of Fire and Ice has been an adventure and I had to accept early on NOT a marathon.

I buy anthologies or any collection of short stories like Ubi. My favorite has been Arabian Nights. It's a classic and an enormous collection of short stories within short stories. Everybody needs a pallet cleanser for the epics.

message 6: by Chandni (new)

Chandni (chandnin31) I totally know what you mean. Sometimes if I binge on books for too long, I can't bring myself to read later on and I need to take a mental break for a few days. I felt like that when I was trying to finish 2 books a week. Reading stopped being fun, which is definitely not what we want!

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 33 comments Chandni wrote: "I totally know what you mean. Sometimes if I binge on books for too long, I can't bring myself to read later on and I need to take a mental break for a few days. I felt like that when I was trying ..."

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt when I was cramming to finish the Goodreads Challenge.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariawb) | 21 comments I've never set goals for how much to read in a certain period of time. I just read whenever. But I started the Malazan-series in January 2013, and I'm only on book 8! I did stop when the last Wheel of Time book came out to read that, but it's still reeeeaaaaally slow for me, compared to how I, usually, read one of these 1000-ish page books a month, or even two when I'm on a roll. I just need a break from the big words and complicated plots (Malazan is complicated as F*CK!), so YA it is!

And then maybe a re-read after.. It's been a few years since I last read Harry Potter. Or maybe Death Gate, those books are AWESOME! I get so caught up in them, I read a book a week. I just can't help myself *LoL* I also wanna go for some Stephen King classics soon, and just classics in general. Huck Finn, To Kill A Mockingbird, Little Women and all that. Get away from the fantasy stuff and read some grown-up sh*t for a change!

BTW, how are the rules on swearing? I usually don't censor myself, but I don't want to offend =)