Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Uploading and Writing

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, I'm Elizabeth. I recently started writing again after a while on break. My question is, how do you upload a book to Goodreads and can you just plain start a book out on Goodreads? If so, how and does it show currently or doe it only show when you save it? I know this is a little confusing.

message 2: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments Why do you want to write a book straight on GR? If it's a matter of sharing your work, why not start a blog and share your work that way?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm... that's true. I guess I just wanted to know, maybe I will start a blog.

message 4: by OrWhat (new)

OrWhat (awewhat) | 538 comments Join Wattpad, you can share your writing and upload it as you go. Plus it's a good way to build a following before you publish :)

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments Do NOT upload anything to Goodreads (or FB, or Pinterest, or whatever) until you read ALL of the fine print. It is very possible that by merely hitting 'send' you are ceding all rights forever to Goodreads. Most of us do not care about casual posts, or reviews, but if you are talking about a novel, do NOT give the rights away like that. At least not without knowing what you're doing!
Did you hear last month about the thing Amtrak was doing, about free rides for writers? They ran a contest; you entered by uploading a writing sample. In the 8 point boilerplate (which you had to check off that you agreed to abide by) you ceded all rights for ever to what you wrote.

message 6: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments A.W. wrote: "Join Wattpad, you can share your writing and upload it as you go. Plus it's a good way to build a following before you publish :)"

Wattpad is a good suggestion, especially if you write YA.

If you're a GoodReads Author, i.e. if you have an author account, you can publish your blog on your author page (if you visit my author page, you can see how that looks), so GR members can read your blog without leaving GR.

message 7: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) | 362 comments Wattpad is good. Other possibilities include readwave.com and writerscafe.org
If you are writing in a specific genre, you might find a forum for that. For example, post apocalypse stories can be posted here;

http://www.postapocalypticforum.com/b...

message 8: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Brenda wrote: "Do NOT upload anything to Goodreads (or FB, or Pinterest, or whatever) until you read ALL of the fine print. It is very possible that by merely hitting 'send' you are ceding all rights forever to G..."

That's bizarre.

message 9: by Brenda (last edited May 06, 2014 06:16PM) (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments At least check, before loading your stuff up. Once you hit 'send', there's no going back. Read here, about the Amtrak concerns:
http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2014/03...
Note that it's not only the problem of losing your rights. Posting part of a work to a site with that kind of language may cloud your rights to the work as a whole.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments Oh, and that site, the Writer Beware blog, is a notably useful one for the young writer. They operate under the aegis of SFWA (the Science-fiction & Fantasy Writers of America) and have been fighting for writer rights for a long time.